FO: Poles is a Freaking Idiot

Toast88

Liked Posts:
There's room for nuance.

In my mind, Ryan Poles did not do enough to surround his young quarterback with the protection and weapons needed to properly evaluate him and truly see what you've got. Even so, Fields flashed enough and for long enough to make it moot and show he deserves at least another year of evaluation.

^^^Poles is probably fortunate that this happened---In a way, Fields bailed him out from having to make a truly difficult potentially franchise-altering decision.

THAT SAID, there are absolutely reasons Poles has done what he's done so far. Will those end up being the right decisions? Time will tell. I'm not ready to say he's an idiot, or even that he's necessarily done anything truly wrong yet.

Those things will all sort themselves out. But best evaluation right now---There's some good and there's some not-so-good. Me giving Poles time to prove himself doesn't mean I'm not willing to say I think the Claypool trade sucked and that he set up Fields for failure.

As I've said before, the overwhelmingly likely outcome is that Poles becomes a failed GM, just like so many Bears GMs before him. Hey, it is what it is. But that's a lazy-ass way to go about honestly evaluating a GM, so I'm fine with waiting and seeing, while giving my honest two cents while it's going on, with the caveat of we could all end up being very wrong. We'll see.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Poles wasnt fortunate at all. As some of us have said all along, a QB can still prove themselves even if the talent around them is subpar because much of what it takes to be a QB has nothing to do with the talent around them.

The talent around them improves their stats but a QBs leadership, playmaking, decision making, work ethic, etc. can all be evaluated regardless of talent. All Fields did this year is prove that fact as he showed he possessed most of what is required to be a franchise QB.

The process can still be evaluated even if the results suck because of subpar talent.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Poles can't control the fact that the best players available weren't WR or DL at the point where the Bears picked.

There weren't viable WR options last year, and the fact he didn't overpay to try to make something happen is a positive, not a negative.

LEARN TO ACCEPT PREDICTIONS ARE NOT FACT!
I just said that you come back with the same BS GM speak BPA prediction that hind sight proved wrong. Hind sight says they weren't the best players available and there were better WRs available when either of those picks were made.
Hind sight is fact. Some rookie WRs we could've had instead of a CB & S made more of an impact to their team than the "BPA" BS Poles went with and we needed some kind of offense for Fields.

HC wants so Poles throws on some BS BPA excuse. You want so you pretend that BPA BS excuse is a fact.

And I didn't mention WR, I even included DL in my 1a. addition, WR is the shit you thought you could pass off as shine-ola.

I'm really curious how if we can't ever get a 1st round WR because they're too risky (since K. White) and 2nd round WRs aren't good enough, how the fuck are we ever going to have a team that has any hope of winning? You must like sucking worse than the Browns.

Last year was the perfect time to get the low risk 2nd round WR to help our QB. But like every year Bears live that meme with the guy walking with his girlfriend named Offense and rubbernecking at the girl named Defense. Every. Fucking. Year!

Here's a bonus clue to get you to realize BPA is rarely a fact: If we start valuing offense guess what positions will automatically hold top 10 value like defense does now. This meathead Bears Footbaw thinking hasn't been working most of our lifetimes.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just said that you come back with the same BS GM speak BPA prediction that hind sight proved wrong. Hind sight says they weren't the best players available and there were better WRs available when either of those picks were made.
Hind sight is fact. Some rookie WRs we could've had instead of a CB & S made more of an impact to their team than the "BPA" BS Poles went with and we needed some kind of offense for Fields.

HC wants so Poles throws on some BS BPA excuse. You want so you pretend that BPA BS excuse is a fact.

And I didn't mention WR, I even included DL in my 1a. addition, WR is the shit you thought you could pass off as shine-ola.

I'm really curious how if we can't ever get a 1st round WR because they're too risky (since K. White) and 2nd round WRs aren't good enough, how the fuck are we ever going to have a team that has any hope of winning? You must like sucking worse than the Browns.

Last year was the perfect time to get the low risk 2nd round WR to help our QB. But like every year Bears live that meme with the guy walking with his girlfriend named Offense and rubbernecking at the girl named Defense. Every. Fucking. Year!

Here's a bonus clue to get you to realize BPA is rarely a fact: If we start valuing offense guess what positions will automatically hold top 10 value like defense does now. This meathead Bears Footbaw thinking hasn't been working most of our lifetimes.

I'm sure you're speaking on Pickens, who didn't even have a better season than Claypools rookie year and he was the 2nd option

And low risk? Please. Why did he drop so far?

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I look forward to the English version of this post being released soon.

But what I was able to take from it is that you suggest this year Poles just simply wait a year and use hindsight as that makes drafting so much easier. That’s brilliant.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

But what I was able to take from it is that you suggest this year Poles just simply wait a year and use hindsight as that makes drafting so much easier. That’s brilliant.

He just wants offense drafted. Doesnt matter if its considered a reach

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Typical. Get proven wrong, act obtuse.
Hindsight proved you wrong. Deal with it. Hindsight has been proving you wrong for decades, LEARN from it. Stop giving your seal of approval for the same mistakes.

He just wants offense drafted. Doesnt matter if its considered a reach

You just want defense and make excuses when the players you are happy with have been proven to be a reach and want to go right back to doing the same thing the next year.

When will you learn that reaches are not measured by a few draft positions? Predictions are not fact. All that exists in the draft are predictions.

The only recent history we have to justify your desire for defense is the '06 Bears and even they cost the team enough of an offense to be able to win. They shouldn't have gone as far as they did and the rules have changed since.
Wasn't that you who said to keep building to lose and hope the rules change back? It was one of you defense always first types.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Typical. Get proven wrong, act obtuse.
Hindsight proved you wrong. Deal with it. Hindsight has been proving you wrong for decades, LEARN from it. Stop giving your seal of approval for the same mistakes.

You just want defense and make excuses when the players you are happy with have been proven to be a reach and want to go right back to doing the same thing the next year.

When will you learn that reaches are not measured by a few draft positions? Predictions are not fact. All that exists in the draft are predictions.

The only recent history we have to justify your desire for defense is the '06 Bears and even they cost the team enough of an offense to be able to win. They shouldn't have gone as far as they did and the rules have changed since.
Wasn't that you who said to keep building to lose and hope the rules change back? It was one of you defense always first types.

Your logic works if the Bears didn't have a terrible defense that essentially gave games away when the offense was in them

Offense was not at the top of the draft board when the Bears made their picks otherwise they would have chosen a WR or an OL.

I mean you shit on Braxton Jones because he was a 5th rounder even though he outperformed those lineman you coveted that were taken before him

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He's probably not going to get a ton of value from the Colts if they move from fourth overall to first overall. I doubt they get a second first-round pick next year to go from fourth to first. That's simply wishing in one hand and shitting in the other to see which one fills up faster.

It's not like Trevor Lawrence, Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning that type of generational can't miss talent is available at QB this year. It's a 5-10 175-pound kid from Alabama a school that hasn't had a successful QB come out of their program since Joe Namath.

Ken Stabler ?? Bart Starr?? Jalen Hurts?? Mac Jones ( jury still out)
Joe Namath's NFL #'s were nothing to write home about

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There's room for nuance.

In my mind, Ryan Poles did not do enough to surround his young quarterback with the protection and weapons needed to properly evaluate him and truly see what you've got. Even so, Fields flashed enough and for long enough to make it moot and show he deserves at least another year of evaluation.

^^^Poles is probably fortunate that this happened---In a way, Fields bailed him out from having to make a truly difficult potentially franchise-altering decision.

disagree. poles said sink or swim and fields was swimming. you do not need an elite supporting cast to figure out if the QB is the guy or not and i've said it since before this past season

its unfortunate that fields was in year 2 and a new gm was hired to come in and wipe the slate clean but that was the situation at hand. he was never going to make big moves in the tear down year

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Your logic works if the Bears didn't have a terrible defense that essentially gave games away when the offense was in them

Offense was not at the top of the draft board when the Bears made their picks otherwise they would have chosen a WR or an OL.

I mean you shit on Braxton Jones because he was a 5th rounder even though he outperformed those lineman you coveted that were taken before him

Did I shit on Braxton Jones? If I did, I shit on a nameless faceless player who was letting defense get to the QB. But I think you're imagining something because I really didn't watch many games to shit on any individual play. I only know our CB and S pick weren't impacts because they show up in stats if they are.

I shit on the GM who said it starts in the trenches and then proceeded to ignore the trenches until the late rounds. It wouldn't matter if he got a god T, the fact is he said "most important" and then flung a bunch of shit from the late round at the fan to see what would stick to the wall. That is not someone who believes it starts in the trenches, or if he does believe that he's not in charge (which is most likely).

The WRs taken after our 2nd round CB and S had more impact on their teams than the 2 defense we took had on ours. Make all the excuses because you want defense first but that is the fact that hindsight has proven. Whoever was in Poles' ears on his 1st 3 picks was wrong and they were wasted picks. Hopefully they're better this year or the 2022 draft was pretty much wasted by this perennial BS.
Go root for the Cubs with your "maybe next year" crap.

Here is an example of a WR taken right after our 2nd round picks. "Thornton finished his rookie season with 22 catches for 247 yards and three touchdowns". How did VJJ do?
A CB taken in the 5th round by Seattle is a probowler. How did Gordon compare? About 50% fewer interceptions. Pretty amazing for someone you're touting as the best player in the draft at that pick. At that kind of valuation we must've not got Woolen with our 2nd rounders because we didn't have the #1 pick and we couldn't afford him even though he went 3 round later.

So stop with the BS BPA excuses. They weren't BPA. They were defense for someone on the staff who wanted defense and you like it because you want defense even if they are reaches. They weren't even the best defensive players at the time of those picks. And VJJ was a reach by many rounds.

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Joe Namath's NFL #'s were nothing to write home abo

Joe Namath's NFL #'s were nothing to write home about
What about Jalen Hurts?

He transferred out to Oklahoma and has the best supporting cast of any player in the NFL. Two receivers that went over 1,200 yards the best OL in football.

He's had one good season. So what point are you trying to make? Who are you defending?

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Did I shit on Braxton Jones? If I did, I shit on a nameless faceless player who was letting defense get to the QB. But I think you're imagining something because I really didn't watch many games to shit on any individual play. I only know our CB and S pick weren't impacts because they show up in stats if they are.

I shit on the GM who said it starts in the trenches and then proceeded to ignore the trenches until the late rounds. It wouldn't matter if he got a god T, the fact is he said "most important" and then flung a bunch of shit from the late round at the fan to see what would stick to the wall. That is not someone who believes it starts in the trenches, or if he does believe that he's not in charge (which is most likely).

The WRs taken after our 2nd round CB and S had more impact on their teams than the 2 defense we took had on ours. Make all the excuses because you want defense first but that is the fact that hindsight has proven. Whoever was in Poles' ears on his 1st 3 picks was wrong and they were wasted picks. Hopefully they're better this year or the 2022 draft was pretty much wasted by this perennial BS.
Go root for the Cubs with your "maybe next year" crap.

Here is an example of a WR taken right after our 2nd round picks. "Thornton finished his rookie season with 22 catches for 247 yards and three touchdowns". How did VJJ do?
A CB taken in the 5th round by Seattle is a probowler. How did Gordon compare? About 50% fewer interceptions. Pretty amazing for someone you're touting as the best player in the draft at that pick. At that kind of valuation we must've not got Woolen with our 2nd rounders because we didn't have the #1 pick and we couldn't afford him even though he went 3 round later.

So stop with the BS BPA excuses. They weren't BPA. They were defense for someone on the staff who wanted defense and you like it because you want defense even if they are reaches. They weren't even the best defensive players at the time of those picks. And VJJ was a reach by many rounds.
there you go again, shitting on braxton just because of the round he was drafted in. even though he OUTPERFORMED guys drafted much earlier, the guys you so coveted based simply on the round they were projected to be drafted in

lineman like Jason Kelce who are all pros and drafted late (6th round) obviously don't do anything for you. never mind the performance, its all about where they were drafted for you.

and i dont know why youre comparing thornton to VJJ. Thornton was gone 21 picks before VJJ

The secondary was a major need going into the season so those picks were fine. But you wanted 22 catches and 200 yards with a 2nd round pick, got it

Last edited:

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
there you go again, shitting on braxton just because of the round he was drafted in. even though he OUTPERFORMED guys drafted much earlier, the guys you so coveted based simply on the round they were projected to be drafted in

lineman like Jason Kelce who are all pros and drafted late (6th round) obviously don't do anything for you. never mind the performance, its all about where they were drafted for you.

and i dont know why youre comparing thornton to VJJ. Thornton was gone 21 picks before VJJ

The secondary was a major need going into the season so those picks were fine. But you wanted 22 catches and 200 yards with a 2nd round pick, got it

How the fuck did I shit on Braxton again?
Go to adult education and learn how to read because obviously you have troubles with it.

Thorton was taken AFTER our 2nd round picks. That is a WR we could've had that was BPA over the CB and S you are trying to bill as BPA.

If CB and S were a need I guess they should've waited to get the pro-bowler in the 5th. As it is you're trying to convince me the CB with half as many interceptions was the BEST player available.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How the fuck did I shit on Braxton again?
Go to adult education and learn how to read because obviously you have troubles with it.

Thorton was taken AFTER our 2nd round picks. That is a WR we could've had that was BPA over the CB and S you are trying to bill as BPA.

If CB and S were a need I guess they should've waited to get the pro-bowler in the 5th. As it is you're trying to convince me the CB with half as many interceptions was the BEST player available.

Because you keep brining up where he was drafted. I dont care if you draft a lineman in the 7th, if he plays well thats better than allocating a 1st rounder to it and getting the same performance

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
run and shoot said:

Joe Namath's NFL #'s were nothing to write home about.

Those Qb's mentioned above are all from Alabama
Bart Starr came way before Namath. But go ahead and prop your argument with QBs from 65 years ago.

Hurts and Jones yeah I'm certain they'll just be Top-10 QBs in the NFL over the next decade. Absolutely nothing makes it seem like they'll bust.