FO: Poles is a Freaking Idiot

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
The Bears traded away their two best defensive players for draft picks yet somehow wound up with worse draft picks after the deadline than they started the season with. An incredible feat of GM cluelessness that you only see from the other terminally malfunctioning NFL doormats in Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Jacksonville, New York etc.

I guess you give him a chance at this off-season, but the potential for it to end in Phil Emery-like catastrophe is very persent right now. The Chase Claypool trade would've ranked among even Ryan Pace's very worst.
The clay pool trade was dog shit but i think the other trades were fine/good.

Honestly, Khalil Mack is pretty average right now, not nearly the game wrecker he was earlier in his career. People moaned about the 2nd round pick, but in hind sight pace giving up 2 firsts was an epic fail (granted with the right QB it could’ve worked for 1 run), but it fucked the bears in the long run.

People moaned about getting so little for Robert Quinn, guy was a complete no show for the eagles. Amazing he got anything for him.

He got a 2nd for Roquan which honestly was an amazing deal. After watching more teams play idk if he’s even a top 5 ILB, probably somewhere in the top 10. The contract he wants is laughable and he didn’t push the ravens over the edge into anything relevant.

The clay pool trade was garbage. The rest of his moves have been pretty good.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Honestly, Khalil Mack is pretty average right now, not nearly the game wrecker he was earlier in his career. People moaned about the 2nd round pick, but in hind sight pace giving up 2 firsts was an epic fail (granted with the right QB it could’ve worked for 1 run), but it fucked the bears in the long run.

Called it with foresight.
3 years of picks for one player on defense when you have a new QB and no offense is not a good plan even if you don't think he is the QB. That all (contract and picks) would've been much better spent on a WR of equal value, but even better spent spread around because today's great talent is tomorrow's average talent. And the Bears always seem to get stuck with them right as they're going to be average and have to pay someone to take them off our hands (Brandon Marshall).

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The only problem with the Mack trade is Pace drafted Trubisky. If he had drafted Watson or Mahomes, Bears probably have at least one SB by now.

Pace rightly gambled that Mack would put that D over the top which he did. He just paired him with the wrong QB on their rookie contract.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

People moaned about getting so little for Robert Quinn, guy was a complete no show for the eagles. Amazing he got anything for him.

He got a 2nd for Roquan which honestly was an amazing deal. After watching more teams play idk if he’s even a top 5 ILB, probably somewhere in the top 10. The contract he wants is laughable and he didn’t push the ravens over the edge into anything relevant.

Trading a 6th rounder for N.Harry kinda sucked to.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Roquan was completely invisible in their playoff loss. Cincinnati exposed him.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Dont think any of them were missteps until such time that we can see the full impact of those moves.
1step back and 2steps forward still has a misstep

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
So basically what posters like me have been saying for years, it's the Bears they'll find a way to fuck it up.
If you don't like the story line pick another group of actors to fake cheer for. I mean if you believe it is all scripted then you are just choosing to follow the actors that are playing the role of the Barney Fife's of the NFL.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1step back and 2steps forward still has a misstep

I really dont see how stats in a year we werent competing is a misstep anymore than Fields lack of passing steps is a mistep. Success will be judged on how these guys perform going forward not how they did in a meaningless year.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I really dont see how stats in a year we werent competing is a misstep anymore than Fields lack of passing steps is a mistep. Success will be judged on how these guys perform going forward not how they did in a meaningless year.
I get it but he didn’t hit a home run last year. More like a double at the plate and an error in the outfield when playing defense.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Which is what exactly?
Bears in playoffs next year. Book it.
I get it but he didn’t hit a home run last year. More like a double at the plate and an error in the outfield when playing defense.
Staying with your analogy, we just completed the first inning so 8 more innings to go.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't pay any more attention to the Poles is an idiot narrative than I will to the Poles is a genius onslaught that is surely coming after some splashy free agent signings and a bunch of early round picks.

Pro football is way too complicated and every year big things happen that I never saw coming (Seattle dominating the first half of the season while Denver massively sucked, for example).

I'm not going to crown Poles unless the Bears make the playoffs this year and I'm not going to call for his head unless they finish at the bottom of the division again. Going worst to first is a good goal but maybe not a fair expectation even with all the resources he has to spend this year.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
1a. Getting not 1 but 2 defense with the 2 highest picks and neither of them was DL like he said was important.

People need to learn BPA is 99% fallacy. Someone thinks a player is good, they use BPA as their excuse, that is the only truth. Predictions are not fact.
Poles can't control the fact that the best players available weren't WR or DL at the point where the Bears picked.

There weren't viable WR options last year, and the fact he didn't overpay to try to make something happen is a positive, not a negative.

Liked Posts:
Poles has set himself up for a successful upcoming season with the amount of cap space and the #1 pick, plus being able to move on from last seasons deadwood.

With the amount of flexibility Poles has given himself if they don’t make a run at a playoff spot I think questions will have to be asked about either Poles roster construction or Fields QB play.

If the Bears make the playoffs (even as a wildcard team) then that’d be considered a successful season and both Poles and Fields should get huge credit and the benefit of the doubt for at least another season.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Yes for the reasons he listed.
But the last sentence is a knock on Poles for the Claypool trade.
Poles has gotten ripped on pretty much every trade, so hopefully he gets better real fast.

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

4. Bears Draft/Justin Fields Nonsense​

Poles is more likely to turn it into five or six Chase Claypools.

Why did they have to launch such a truth bomb at Ryan Poles like that. That's completely and totally....necessary. Unnecessary if you think Poles is a draft god and hasn't already shown how incompetent he is. News flash he is incompetent and has shown as much by getting rid of guys who can actually play and replacing them with guys who can't.

Since he was so eager to trade away Teven Jenkins last year, maybe with Jenkins playing so well he can finally find a way to trade him and permanently make Michael Schofield the starting right guard.