Free Agency news tracker

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If there has ever been a metric historically proven to be accurate, its the PFF safety coverage grade!

The first gif of his run stopping ability and his "ability to handle blockers" is him overpowering a (seemingly disinterested) WR in the run game. This isn't him taking on a OT or OG headup or stalking a TE.

The second gif is fucking stupid and they don't even know what they are watching. He actually has pass coverage responsibility there on Ertz(or whoever the TE is on that side to the formation) He's reading that key. As soon as Ertz blocks down he has run responsibility and attacks downhill. Again, he doesn't hold up the point of the attack here or even plays this discipline correctly. He uses safety skills getting a 10 yard running head start at a pulling OL and jukes him inside and somehwat gets lucky he makes the play because the discipline is actually to force that play back inside to help and try and hold up the blockers. He's just uber athletic and makes it work...but this isn't a play he'd use as a LB in run defense because he'd be playing 3 yards off the ball and having to deal with taking on blockers head on...not getting to run at them for 7 yards and juke them.

The third gif is hilarious. His "instincts"? He's dropping into a zone and simple reading the QB's eyes the entire way. The man in the flat is covered by the CB in zone to the underneath, and the RB out of the backfield breaks to the inside where the LB has him, so Collins only has one real concern and it's the WR in his blind spot and he's just following the QB to the ball. The play is designed to try and get Collins to bite on the RB to the inside and open a window for the comeback route in behind him but Collins just plays his discipline perfectly. There's no "instinct" here. He's simply reading his keys and doing his job.

The 4th gif they match him up on a slot WR/RB and the slot WR/RB(I'm assuming this is McCaffery) runs a slant into the middle of the field where Collins has help. Newton is actually late on the throw here and throws into double coverage.

These gifs don't do anything to prove PFF"s point. They show a really great safety doing safety things in coverage and making two tackles in the run game when his job is to crash down when his pass game key stays into block. WOW.

Last edited:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Disagree. Political polling and voting outcomes have a track record FAR superior to PFF safety grades. This is the fucking "Golden Age" of statistics, my friends.

I heard Phil Emery hired some guy who was the backup QB at Knox College to "run some numbers" on available NFL free agents.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The first gif of his run stopping ability and his "ability to handle blockers" is him overpowering a (seemingly disinterested) WR in the run game. This isn't him taking on a OT or OG headup or stalking a TE.

The second gif is fucking stupid and they don't even know what they are watching. He actually has pass coverage responsibility there on Ertz(or whoever the TE is on that side to the formation) He's reading that key. As soon as Ertz blocks down he has run responsibility and attacks downhill. Again, he doesn't hold up the point of the attack here or even plays this discipline correctly. He uses safety skills getting a 10 yard running head start at a pulling OL and jukes him inside and somehwat gets lucky he makes the play because the discipline is actually to force that play back inside to help and try and hold up the blockers. He's just uber athletic and makes it work...but this isn't a play he'd use as a LB in run defense because he'd be playing 3 yards off the ball and having to deal with taking on blockers head on...not getting to run at them for 7 yards and juke them.

The third gif is hilarious. His "instincts"? He's dropping into a zone and simple reading the QB's eyes the entire way. The man in the flat is covered by the CB in zone to the underneath, and the RB out of the backfield breaks to the inside where the LB has him, so Collins only has one real concern and it's the WR in his blind spot and he's just following the QB to the ball. The play is designed to try and get Collins to bite on the RB to the inside and open a window for the comeback route in behind him but Collins just plays his discipline perfectly. There's no "instinct" here. He's simply reading his keys and doing his job.

The 4th gif they match him up on a slot WR/RB and the slot WR/RB(I'm assuming this is McCaffery) runs a slant into the middle of the field where Collins has help. Newton is actually late on the throw here and throws into double coverage.

These gifs don't do anything to prove PFF"s point. They show a really great safety doing safety things in coverage and making two tackles in the run game when his job is to crash down when his pass game key stays into block. WOW.
It's no wonder why their grades are so disparate.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
LOL, Shefter looks like he would rather be getting a root canal than hanging with these two.

D08ulrJWwAAzEBq.jpg

Who are the two guys?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Redskins fan of some sort on the right.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Agreed. Caution should loom large after Bears signed aging stopgap vet Safety Antrell Rolle... who sat on IR.

We do need a 4th Safety... but along with All-pro Jackson, Bush played well in his playoff start, and both he and DHC are going into their 4th year with game experience and ST play. Not only do we need to see what we have with Bush/DHC this year, we'll have a 3rd option with a draft Safety (the 4th Safety). So the situation doesn't require signing a starting SS.

However if the Bears really think Bush/DHC/draft is going to be a significant liability at SS, then Weddle would be a competent stopgap. But I think Bears have confidence in Bush.

Re-signing Amos at a Bears' friendly price is wise because we already know Amos does well with this team and is durable. Any other FA would be iffy, or cost more, or not be sure-fire over Bush. As seems to be consensus around here, if we can't re-sign Amos, let's go Bush/DHC/draft and use that money on Callahan, RB and OLB... more significant team impact than Bush at SS.

I sure would feel a hell of a lot better going with one of D.Bush or DHC at the other S spot then i would going with McManis starting at NB/Slot. I like what McManis did in his limited time there for us when he filled in for Callahan last year but i think we all remember how bad he was in the past when he played CB or NB/Slot for us and was really here for his work on ST. Now of course he could of just become a better player and maybe he could handle the full time NB role but i'd be nervous until i saw him do it consistently for us and we'd need to have someone ready to go behind him. I'm with you that i thought D.Bush played pretty damn well when he played for E.Jackson last year and think him playing with E.Jackson could be even better then he was playing with Amos.

The best thing, besides re-signing both Amos and Callahan, would be to be able to let both walk and for D.Bush and S.McManis to take those starting jobs and play them well for us or for us to find a much cheaper option at at least one of those spots to take on one of those starting spots. Then we would get comp picks for losing both Amos and Callahan and not only that but we'd be able to use the money saved to upgrade at Edge Rusher, RB, TE and for depth at other positions like O-Line.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
https://t.co/qrRzTujObp

Can we all just take a moment to appreciate the talented Safeties available in free agency when the new league year starts next week? The biggest name is probably Earl Thomas, the former Seahawk who openly tried to recruit himself to the Dallas Cowboys in 2017. After breaking his leg with the Seahawks last year, Thomas will try to get his Hall of Fame career back on track in a new locale. Eric Weddle, the former Chargers and Ravens standout, was cut on Tuesday to free up some cap space so that the Ravens can possibly make a run at Tyrann Mathieu. The Giants decided against using the franchise tag on Landon Collins and will let him test the free agent waters where he’ll join LaMarcus Joyner, Adrian Amos, HaHa Clinton-Dix, Tre Boston, Johnathan Cyprien, and more in finding new deals.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
barstool sports is the dirty crotch of sports entertainment....

Did you happen to read Drew Magary's piece on them yesterday. He said the fans of Barstool are, "guys who want to grow up to be Donald Trump Jr."

P.S. no doubt the author of post #351 is a fan.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
barstool sports is the dirty crotch of sports entertainment....

I don't understand how that still exists. The "Howard Stern" crass anti-establishment schtick had already passed through sports radio in the 1990's and 2000's...who cares about Barstool Big Kat?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't understand how that still exists. The "Howard Stern" crass anti-establishment schtick had already passed through sports radio in the 1990's and 2000's...who cares about Barstool Big Kat?

They are hanging on to the juvenile and misogynistic sports fans. They wanted to tell sports like it is and avoid the fanboyism, however they shouldn't have the voice that they do.

I believe in one posted article Portnoy claimed that a hot chick passing out at a party was open game and kind of a grey area when it comes to rape.

Another time he said one of his employees, female, would not be able to be on camera in a few years because she would be too ugly and people would "throw up" having to see her. I believe the woman was Ria Ciuffo.

Portnoy claims it is a comedy site and said it should not be held to journalism standards.....I think they should be held to human decency standards which they don't seem to reach.

hester247

Liked Posts:
is anyone else reading about these Browns rumors? LeBron James is hinting at it now...you had Landry, Njoku, and Miles Garret make comments on it like something huge about to happen

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
is anyone else reading about these Browns rumors? LeBron James is hinting at it now...you had Landry, Njoku, and Miles Garret make comments on it like something huge about to happen

They are trading up to take Kyler Murray at #1.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

A.Brown

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
the rumor is Beckham to the Browns