Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm still in the mindset that we shouldent trade Marty unless we find something really good.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Cdbj1vzUAAAkRlZ.jpg:large

engbear

Liked Posts:
Brad Briggs reporting in dollars and sense that all guaranteed money in Trevathon and Freeman deals paid in the first two years and Massey' s guaranteed portion of deal. Paid in year 1.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Apparently Hicks visit for Detroit is on for today.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
They need starter quality in the secondary that can properly make the existing starters the "depth".

And they need an OT. Still. Badly.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
They need starter quality in the secondary that can properly make the existing starters the "depth".

And they need an OT. Still. Badly.

Even the DL doesn't even have a lot of starting talent besides Goldman.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Even the DL doesn't even have a lot of starting talent besides Goldman.

True. I meant to add DL to that post. (which covers a lot - DL, OT and Secondary)

For all the bodies and names and turnover on the roster, I don't have a good feel for what the Bears have on the D Line.

Having watched a 4-3 forever, it seemed we usually had 4 starters, and others played little. Now that the Bears are in a 3-4, it seems they need two dozen linemen. And nobody seems to be good enough.

Who do we have that is truly a) the right fit, and b) a quality D Lineman?

Goldman?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm still in the mindset that we shouldent trade Marty unless we find something really good.

I certainly agree. THis has been debated a lot on this board but it just doesn't make sense to me in a couple of ways. First and foremost, the guy is one of the best tight ends in all of football and is in the last year of his contract. Secondly, I think that all of the negative stuff aimed at Bennett being somekind of an asshole for asking for a new contract does not benefit the Bears who are trying to trade the guy. Why? All that does is to downgrade the guys trade value. If I'm trying to get something in return for someone, I'd try to play my hand representing value in the cards, not a shit hand. This stuff is a lot like a poker game. Don't show your cards!

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Hicks is getting away I would have loved for Jenkins to be back.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Brad Briggs reporting in dollars and sense that all guaranteed money in Trevathon and Freeman deals paid in the first two years and Massey' s guaranteed portion of deal. Paid in year 1.

Cents

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Apparently Hicks visit for Detroit is on for today.

It's never good when a player you want is taking an interview with a team in your division that wants the same guy you want and that team is known for giving out bad contracts. Hopefully we get it worked out with him but it's not good that he's leaving without a contract.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's never good when a player you want is taking an interview with a team in your division that wants the same guy you want and that team is known for giving out bad contracts. Hopefully we get it worked out with him but it's not good that he's leaving without a contract.

LOL, Bears are going to either play with him, or play against him 2x a year. On the bad contracts? Really? I have seen more than a few on this side of the Lake as well.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Yes but usually in a situation like that, the only way to get a guy to sign is to meet his demands and probably overpay. So his leaving is simply an indication that Pace has a price in mind and doesn't want to move off that. If Det offers him more then so be it but if it was a good visit then hopefully if Det offers a similar then it will come down to who he feels better playing for which you would think we have the edge in that department.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

Or they can just let the Lions overpay for him. It's really not that big of a deal. He's a decent player, that's all. He has upside but this is a guy who, when he did start in New Orleans, was wildly inconsistent. He played well in New England but wasn't a starter.

I imagine Pace is offering him a deal for what he is-a rotational down lineman with some upside.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Or they can just let the Lions overpay for him. It's really not that big of a deal. He's a decent player, that's all. He has upside but this is a guy who, when he did start in New Orleans, was wildly inconsistent. He played well in New England but wasn't a starter.

I imagine Pace is offering him a deal for what he is-a rotational down lineman with some upside.

He may be a rotational player on a very talented DL, he would be a starter on most, and might be the Bears best DLmen.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
Wow it'd be pretty disappointing if Detroit signed him, at this point. Not necessarily because Hicks is some amazing player, but while the Bears were flirting with him – several other great options were locked down @ reasonable contracts, I might add. They would've effectively let the DL market pass them, which is a huge oversight – considering our DL is currently in bad shape. As of now, we're counting on Sutton/Ferguson being starters. Locking down our LBs makes this slightly less awful, but this would be a pretty big mistake on Pace's part.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Still some upgrades at SS and CB left in Free Agency maybe even a WR upgrade but if Hicks is out we need to start looking at the draft.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Still some upgrades at SS and CB left in Free Agency maybe even a WR upgrade but if Hicks is out we need to start looking at the draft.

If they don't sign any free agency DL, they might just use 2 of their first 3 picks on that group.