Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
McPhee played a lot more snaps at a much higher level. I mean if those things were true of Hicks don't you think he'd already be signed?

He did not play a lot more snaps. In the year before we signed him (2014) McPhee played 540 snaps. In 2013, he played 313 snaps. He had 6 career starts when we signed him in 60 games.

Hicks played 484 snaps last year. That's a difference of about 3-4 snaps a game. He also has 33 career starts in 61 games. So don't know where you get the idea that McPhee played a lot more snaps.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
He did not play a lot more snaps. In the year before we signed him (2014) McPhee played 540 snaps. In 2013, he played 313 snaps. He had 6 career starts when we signed him in 60 games.

Hicks played 484 snaps last year. That's a difference of about 3-4 snaps a game. He also has 33 career starts in 61 games. So don't know where you get the idea that McPhee played a lot more snaps.

The list I saw included his special teams snaps for some reason. My bad. Doesn't change the fact that McPhee was a much better and more impactful player then Hicks has ever been.

Like I said, if the Bears thought about Hicks the way they thought about McPhee, he'd be a bear

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Chargers sign Hayward. What does that mean for Robinson?

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Why are we not looking at safeties in FA?

I am very happy with what Pace has done so far, and i understand we have lots of holes. I am not criticizing his moves at all. I just don't see us linked anywhere to S. Perhaps that is simply because Pave is prioritizing (properly) other positions, and will address the S position eventually.

Weddle. Bruton. Jefferson. Any interest by anyone here?

And before someone says they're not all pro or worth a ton of $, I am not suggesting we pay them as such.

I was wondering the same. I don't think we will draft a safety early and we could use one. If Weddle wont break the bank I'd consider it. Our safeties are decent but Weddle is probably better and more reliable than both of them.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The list I saw included his special teams snaps for some reason. My bad. Doesn't change the fact that McPhee was a much better and more impactful player then Hicks has ever been.

Like I said, if the Bears thought about Hicks the way they thought about McPhee, he'd be a bear

Agreed.

Hicks is like an Anthony Adams type player. Really solid starter, can make a few plays, and is solid for the starter level of snaps he gets.

McPhee is a far more impactful player.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I was wondering the same. I don't think we will draft a safety early and we could use one. If Weddle wont break the bank I'd consider it. Our safeties are decent but Weddle is probably better and more reliable than both of them.

Safety is a concern as well, at least adding upside depth so they don't start guys off the street.

Right now based on need assuming Miller comes back

1. DE
2. S
3. CB
4. DE
5. TE

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I wasn't arguing that McPhee and Hicks are comparable players skill wise. I was arguing that like McPhee, Hicks didn't play a ton of snaps prior to hitting FA and wasn't a starter. Yet the Bears paid McPhee because of his expected role in Chicago not on his rotational role in Baltimore. That is the point. It doesn't matter that Hicks was a rotational player with the Pats. What matters is his expected role in Chicago which most likely will be as a starter. He has started for over half his career (33 games out of 61) so acting like he is merely depth or a rotational player misses the mark IMO.

And the reason he isn't signed is because the Bears and his Agent disagree over his market value. It's not more complicated than that.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Chris Conte - DB - Buccaneers
Buccaneers re-signed S Chris Conte to a one-year contract.
Although he remained a replacement-level starter, Conte had the best season of his career back deep last year, earning PFF's No. 27 grade among 88 qualified safeties in pass coverage. Conte turned 27 in February and has forced 11 turnovers over the past three years. He'll return as the Bucs' starting free safety.

Black Sheep has lost all hope!!!

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Is anyone hearing anything about additional cap casualties? There are still several teams that are going to have to do something before the draft.
I think the Jets almost have to move Wilkerson and wonder if Jenkins was signed to make that happen. The Jets are now right up against the cap and the only two guys that give them any meaningful relief are Wilkerson and Mangold.
Saints, Bills, Steelers and a few others are going to have to do something to bring in the draft class and have money for in season injury moves.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Greg Gabriel - No deal yet, but Hicks is still in Chicago
6:10pm - 13 Mar 16

GatorLandMike

Liked Posts:
Safety is a concern as well, at least adding upside depth so they don't start guys off the street.

1. DE
2. S
3. CB
4. DE
5. TE

These are the new names I'm hearing

Haven't heard much since yesterday. Doesn't look good for Hicks as Pace not budging but they are $1.5 million apart per year Im told
3 yr, 12 million Hicks wants= Pace 3 yrs 8.5 Million
The 4 names that were popping up yesterday he told me was

3 Secondary players

Rahim Moore
Antonio Allen
Brandon Boykin

Besides Hicks this name:

Brandon Thompson

All these names are new and he said they are kicking the tires aka doing evaluations on them now

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Chargers sign Hayward. What does that mean for Robinson?

It probably means Robinson is asking for more than what they paid Heyward or they would of just brought Robinson back since he knows the system and played well in it last year.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:

Haven't heard much since yesterday. Doesn't look good for Hicks as Pace not budging but they are $1.5 million apart per year Im told

3 Secondary players

Rahim Moore
Antonio Allen
Brandon Boykin

Besides Hicks this name:

Brandon Thompson

All these names are new and he said they are kicking the tires aka doing evaluations on them now

Thanks for sharing Mike. I think it is interesting that they are looking at all AFC players. Do you think they have interest in any NFC players?

Reactions: WCL

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
No deal yet, but Hicks is still in Chicago
@greggabe

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
It seems @greggabe is backing up what I tweeted. Akiem Hicks is still in Chicago & there is no deal in place. Has NOT met w/ #Lions...yet.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
I would have no issues with Brandon Boykins..... Antonio Allen didn't even play last year, i think he was injured...Brandon Thompson is just a jobber.... Rahim Moore still young, had a bad year last year, but was good with Denver before moving to Houston.

MiguelEggTrousersFl

Liked Posts:
My sources are telling me Hicks is close to signing with the lions. Pace is making a last ditch attempt. Stay tuned

Hammer

Liked Posts:

1. DE
2. S
3. CB
4. DE
5. TE
I'd add LT in second place on that list, don't know why everyone ignores the fact that Leno isn't a starting caliber LT in the league.

And at TE, it all depends if they'll trade/cut Bennett in the end or not, which wouldn't be a smart idea considering how market is developing at the position.

PickSix

Liked Posts:

3 Secondary players

Rahim Moore
Antonio Allen
Brandon Boykin

Besides Hicks this name:

Brandon Thompson

Come on Pace. Split the difference. Get it done.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Math are hard. (12-8.5)/3=1.167