Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Hopefully Massie to CHI pans out. We really need to solidify an OT spot.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
I am starting to get concerned with Trevathan.

If he doesn't sign, what becomes the center piece of the free agent class?

Would people be happy with Akiem Hicks as our best addition?

Was reported bears one of 12 teams interested in Hicks.

Doubt the Bears pony up the cheese to bring him in

hester247

Liked Posts:
With this large jump in salary cap everyone has money to spend so you have to overpay. The other option is to sit back and let all these teams fill up their new cap and be in a better position in the next few years. It sucks but that might be what we are looking at doing. Staying patient, build threw the draft. Anyone want to buy season tickets for this year? Lol

and everyone laughed when i said this was a 5yr plan..so far i am not wrong

hester247

Liked Posts:

lol..absolutely not..Pace should just get demoted to what he is a "Scout"

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Overpaying in free agency is a terrible way to build a team and the Jags have done it the past 2 years.

They have talent, but they also have some really bad deals that will come back to bite them.

Winning the free agency Super Bowl has been proven time and time again that it doesn't mean jack squat in terms of actually building a championship or even a playoff team.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Jags don't have much of a choice. The rule is a team has to spend 89% of their cap between 2013 and 2016 which is why their adjusted salary cap this year was something like 190 million. They had underspent the cap in prior years so it got added to this year's cap as that was one of the things the NFLPA made the NFL agree to ie to spend a certain percentage of revenue on player salaries and this was a way to enforce that rule on teams that historically never used to spend enough on player salaries. League wide, all teams combined must spend 95% of the salary cap over that period.

And there is no way they can meet their spending target if they don't bid on good free agents and most good free agents you end up overpaying for.

Shhhh, you just gave him the excuse he's gonna use when none of his predictions come true again.

Lol, not like anyone is going to buy that excuse.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:

One fall back plan would be to sign both Damon Harrison and Akiem Hicks if Danny falls thru. A front three that can shut down the run and provide a good pass rush is more important than an ILB.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

If he came along with Gipson and Smith, maybe Zach Brown too

Sent from my davenport using my teleporter

Mitchapalooza

Doug Moore ‏@DMooreNFL 2m2 minutes ago
Someone just mentioned to me that the "Matt Forte to the #Packers" talks are intensifying. They could be the front runners for him. #NFL

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
It's real tough to say it's a bad deal at this time. Did signing Jackson disallow them to get another FA? It's too early to tell. Has Jackson underperformed based on his contract? Again, it's too early to tell.

Let's say he magically becomes the next JJ Watt and some how the Jags were the only ones to spot his potential. In that case it's a good deal.

Personally I think it will be more like the Jags TE signing from last year, Julius Thomas, who underwhelmed in an injury filled first season.

The deal is definitely banking on Jackson becoming the next JJ Watt, which is insane. Paying for future performance to that level is a recipe for disaster.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 4s4 seconds ago
Aaron Leming Retweeted Alex Marvez
#Bears in heavy on Jeff Allen. Would be a big signing.

Alex Marvez
‏@alexmarvez
.@KCChiefs G Jeff Allen being heavily pursued by @ChicagoBears & @Atlanta_Falcons among others. @NFLonFOX

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Ummmmm, that's what contracts should be based on, future performance. Paying for past performance would be a bad investment...

Reactions: WCL

ndgt10

Liked Posts:
What's going on, yesterday 670 the score said Trevathan to Bears? Man this sucks

Mitchapalooza

.@KCChiefs G Jeff Allen being heavily pursued by @ChicagoBears & @Atlanta_Falcons among others. @NFLonFOX

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Jags don't have much of a choice. The rules that teams are suppose to spend x % of their cap kicked in this year which is why their adjusted salary cap this year was something like 190 million. They had underspent the cap in prior years that it got added to this year's cap as that was one of the things the NFLPA made the NFL agree to ie to spend a certain percentage of revenue on player salaries and this was a way to enforce that rule on teams that historically never used to spend enough on player salaries.

And there is no way they can meet their spending target if they don't bid on good free agents and most good free agents you end up overpaying for.

Which again is the sign of a poorly run organization. If they have to give out on contracts like that to reach their floor, that doesn't bode well for their future. Look, Malik was going to get paid by someone. Free Agency always happens this way and it's usually the teams like Jacksonville or Miami who end of shelling out the dollars, which isn't surprising when you see how bad their organizations are.

Bad teams give out bad contracts. Happens every year in every sport.

Mitchapalooza

Holy fuck, everyone stop bleeding about Trevathan. Everything still points to him signing with us. It's not 3PM CST yet. Some of you guys are acting like females, jesus christ.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:

Alex Marvez
‏@alexmarvez

Hey, there's news! That should make everyone happy right!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Alex Marvez
‏@alexmarvez

Jeff Allen would be an awesome signing