Game of Thrones Thread

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
A rare instance of a Show being better than a book? Blasphemy! :X

The Apostate

Liked Posts:
I dont believe Robert ever got to bang Lyanna.... they were betrothed and then she was "kidnapped" by Rhaegar and then she died without ever seeing Robert again.

More likely Rhaegar and Lyanna had a thing, she got preggers.... he "kidnapped" her in order to keep her and the child safe....and of course Ned's promise to Lyanna was to take Jon as his bastard, claim he banged a tavern wench.... otherwise Jon would be Rhaegars son and Robert would have had him killed.

Again, this is my daughters pet theory (well, hers and a whole lot of others) but remember in the first season, the whole "the seed is strong" thing? That's how Jon Arryn, and eventually Ned Stark, tracked down all of Roberts bastards, by their black hair and blue eyes (and this is also how he figured out that none of Cerseis' kids, with their fair hair, were actually Roberts).

By the same logic, since all Targaryans have silver hair and violet eyes, Jon can't be Rhaegars son.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Again, this is my daughters pet theory (well, hers and a whole lot of others) but remember in the first season, the whole "the seed is strong" thing? That's how Jon Arryn, and eventually Ned Stark, tracked down all of Roberts bastards, by their black hair and blue eyes (and this is also how he figured out that none of Cerseis' kids, with their fair hair, were actually Roberts).

By the same logic, since all Targaryans have silver hair and violet eyes, Jon can't be Rhaegars son.

False, you're not following through on said logic. All of the previous Targaryens had been the product of generational incest between brother and sister. This would have broken that gene pool. Not to mention in this particular case the mother was of Stark blood.

The Apostate

Liked Posts:
False, you're not following through on said logic. All of the previous Targaryens had been the product of generational incest between brother and sister. This would have broken that gene pool. Not to mention in this particular case the mother was of Stark blood.

Good point!

Except that Rhaegars first wife was Elia Martell (Oberyns' sister, not a Targaryen) and both his kids (Rhaenys and Aegon, both killed by the Mountain during the sack of Kings Landing) had the Targaryen silver hair/violet eye thing in spite of her Dornish coloring (dark hair and eyes) this also holds true in the cases of other non-incestuous Targaryen marriages.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Targaryen

Apparently GRR Martin only understands dominant genes (Targaryen=silver hair and violet eyes, Baratheon=dark hair and blue eyes).

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Good point!

Except that Rhaegars first wife was Elia Martell (Oberyns' sister, not a Targaryen) and both his kids (Rhaenys and Aegon, both killed by the Mountain during the sack of Kings Landing) had the Targaryen silver hair/violet eye thing in spite of her Dornish coloring (dark hair and eyes) this also holds true in the cases of other non-incestuous Targaryen marriages.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Targaryen

Apparently GRR Martin only understands dominant genes (Targaryen=silver hair and violet eyes, Baratheon=dark hair and blue eyes).

Well yes but a dominant gene can be passed from either mother or father so same father two different mothers won't produce the same result and well x-linked traits are passed from mother to son while for women its passed from father to daughter. All in all without getting too fucking scientific with it, its a distinct possibility he could still be Targaryen.

The Apostate

Liked Posts:
Well yes but a dominant gene can be passed from either mother or father so same father two different mothers won't produce the same result and well x-linked traits are passed from mother to son while for women its passed from father to daughter. All in all without getting too fucking scientific with it, its a distinct possibility he could still be Targaryen.

100% true in real life, however, what we need to keep in mind is that GRR Martin is not a geneticist, nor does he pretend to be one, he's a writer of popular fiction.

So the question still remains, in GRR Martins world which holds true?

Up to this point in his books, there is a consistent theme of families inheriting certain very distinct traits, primarily through the fathers line. While it's certainly possible for him to throw us a curve ball, if he did change that particular theme it would be a major departure from what he's written so far.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Jon Snow was Robert/Lyanna's offspring.... why would Ned need to keep it secret and claim him as his bastard?

Couldn't Ned have just brought Jon to Robert and been like "Here is your son"?

In fact that is exactly what Ned would have done.... cuz honor and shit....

On the other hand if Jon was Rhaegars son Ned has a very good reason for hiding his true identity and claiming him as his bastard.

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
A rare instance of a Show being better than a book? Blasphemy! :X
They cut out a ton of Brienne's journey and all the the Iron born stuff. Both of those needed to go. They sucked in the books.

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
100% true in real life, however, what we need to keep in mind is that GRR Martin is not a geneticist, nor does he pretend to be one, he's a writer of popular fiction.

So the question still remains, in GRR Martins world which holds true?

Up to this point in his books, there is a consistent theme of families inheriting certain very distinct traits, primarily through the fathers line. While it's certainly possible for him to throw us a curve ball, if he did change that particular theme it would be a major departure from what he's written so far.
Aegor Rivers... Son of Aegon IV Targaryen and Barba Bracken..... Black hair.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wouldnt want to play GoT trivia games with you guys. Jesus, you are even discussing genetics!

:clap:

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
11329997_10153562398591840_6196696707421721457_n.jpg

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
why did that guy free tyrion?

You talking about Jaime? his brother? In King's Landing?

Or in that last episode when Tyrion was chained to the bench while Jorah was fighting?

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
You talking about Jaime? his brother? In King's Landing?

Or in that last episode when Tyrion was chained to the bench while Jorah was fighting?

I think he was asking about the slaver cutting Tyrion fee. Its obvious, Tyrion was Jorel's(sp?) fighting partner and he was already out in the pit!

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
I rewatched the episode last night with my wife and caught something I missed before. Littlefinger fucked Cersi by telling the old queen about the "pretty young man". I missed that little connection with regards to how the head zealot got the goods on Cersi.

Littlefinger is fucking people over so fast I am missing it.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think he was asking about the slaver cutting Tyrion fee. Its obvious, Tyrion was Jorel's(sp?) fighting partner and he was already out in the pit!

Jorah is the dude who kidnapped Tyrion....

Yeah idk about when the dude cut Tyrion free.... I have not read this material in the book but I would bet if it happened this way, Tyrion was out there fighting with Jorah.... idk why but the show tends to cast Tyrion as a bit less of a fighter than he is in the books.... he kicks some serious ass in some of the book battles..... in the show they kinda portray him as a leader but not a fighter at all which is not exactly true.

The dude cutting Tyrion free so he could go meet Dany was probably just a necessary device in the show so they could have a reason Tyrion wasn't fighting but then still wound up meeting Dany....

The Apostate

Liked Posts:
Jorah is the dude who kidnapped Tyrion....

Yeah idk about when the dude cut Tyrion free.... I have not read this material in the book but I would bet if it happened this way, Tyrion was out there fighting with Jorah.... idk why but the show tends to cast Tyrion as a bit less of a fighter than he is in the books.... he kicks some serious ass in some of the book battles..... in the show they kinda portray him as a leader but not a fighter at all which is not exactly true.

The dude cutting Tyrion free so he could go meet Dany was probably just a necessary device in the show so they could have a reason Tyrion wasn't fighting but then still wound up meeting Dany....

There is a fairly significant character in the book called Strong Belwas ( http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Belwas ) pretty much matching the guy who cut Tyrions chains. Probably just a nod to the hardcore book fans who've been bitching about his absence.

GOT trivia for today: Strong Belwas, Daneys personal bodyguard, claims never to have lost any of his thousand fights in the pits, and always lets his opponent cut him once before he kills him

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts: