Garza isn't as bad as you think

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Short term memory I take it?

Do you know how to not post whore? I'm seriously questioning whether or not you can or can't.

We're trying to talk baseball. Now, go ahead and contribute to the conversation or go somewhere else. This isn't that hard.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Do you know how to not post whore? I'm seriously questioning whether or not you can or can't.

We're trying to talk baseball. Now, go ahead and contribute to the conversation or go somewhere else. This isn't that hard.

I have.

Go bitch about people who make 10 posts a day post whoring somewhere else.

I did get in this conversation a few pages back actually, I was simple questioning whether you can remember that or not.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We know how much a LD lands for a hit and we know how often it is a double/triple. Same with the others. hmmmmmmmm. Wonder why no one has done this. I am sure it could be done to figure out exactly how much a LD is worth runs wise.

According to Dave Cameron, from the 2006 Hardball Times Annual:
Line Drive: .356 – in other words, an average line drive is worth 35% of one run.
HBP: .342
Non-Intentional Walk: .315
Intentional Walk: .176
Outfield Fly: .035
Groundball: -.101
Bunts: -.103
Infield Fly: -.243
Strikeout: -.287

I don't have the Hardball Times Annual, so I'm assuming that Dave hasn't posted false information, but I don't see that to be true, he has a pretty good reputation.

Okay, after running these numbers with his numbers on the season, I get the result of -6.922. I'm not sure if this means that he has been worth 7 runs or if there is something else that must be done.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You know...maybe if the offense would score more than 2 runs a game, pitchers would get more wins.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I look at their FIP, then their K, BB, HR rates, the xFIP, then BABIP and LD, GB, and FB%'s. Then I see how that compares to their ERA. I'm working on learning more about tERA and FIP- and xFIP-, but I only have so much time.

It's not hard to conduct yourself in a decent manner. I'm 16 and I can do it. You're 31, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

im a broker, being a sweetheart isnt in my DNA.

cjnovus

Liked Posts:
It happens. "Small sample size," "regression to the mean," "luck" or whatever casual rationale you prefer for random statistical fluctuations, numbers will always change. That's baseball. For every player who has experienced a numbers bump (or drop), there's always the possibility it's mere random, short-term fluctuation.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It happens. "Small sample size," "regression to the mean," "luck" or whatever casual rationale you prefer for random statistical fluctuations, numbers will always change. That's baseball. For every player who has experienced a numbers bump (or drop), there's always the possibility it's mere random, short-term fluctuation.

I love your sig.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well bravo on missing the entire point. Seems to be a theme for you. The point is, if you're evaluating a player for a certain thing, why are you going to use all the variables?
He posts this...

Then THIS?!?!?
I look at their FIP, then their K, BB, HR rates, the xFIP, then BABIP and LD, GB, and FB%'s. Then I see how that compares to their ERA. I'm working on learning more about tERA and FIP- and xFIP-, but I only have so much time.
It's not hard to conduct yourself in a decent manner. I'm 16 and I can do it. You're 31, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

:clap:

Wow.....

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
why does this always get into an argument about the context and use of the stats rather than how it applies to the player?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
why does this always get into an argument about the context and use of the stats rather than how it applies to the player?

Thta's kind of the issue at hand. Simply throwing a stat out there about a player and making a broad claim based on that without evaluating it's context and looking at it's overall usefullness is idiotic.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Because rather than arguing the stats at hand and the usefulness of them they would rather just attack the stats themselves with straw-man arguments.

Anyone can sit in an Ivory Tower and point out the flaws in other peoples posts about a player without saying anything themselves.

I can find just as many flaws with any stat(s) you or anyone brings up without reverting to the its not real tactic that others have.

All stats are flawed, just some not as much as others. WAR isn't nearly as flawed as some would want you to believe.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I can find just as many flaws with any stat(s) you or anyone brings up without reverting to the its not real tactic that others have.

It's clear you have no idea what Dew is talking about even though it's been explained ad nauseum in this thread. and Dew is right. WAR isn't a "real stat". A true stat doesn't have hypotheticals as WAR does.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is there a reason we are rehashing this debate in a thread which the last post made was over two months ago before today?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Red Sox want the Garza, but Cubs probably says they can't has him.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs can has contend 2012?

a22e93bc-2163-45db-83f4-22a3bc4ddae2.gif

If Cubs can't has contend 2012, Red Sox can has Garza.

(lolcat kick)