General trade discussion

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
M's traded for Trumbo apparently

Deal is Trumbo, Nuno from #DBacks to #Mariners for Castillo, Leone and two prospect

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
M's traded for Trumbo apparently

Deal is Trumbo, Nuno from #DBacks to #Mariners for Castillo, Leone and two prospect

Garbage for a guy who's seriously underachieved his whole career in Trumbo.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The argument is he has pitched to the value of his deal. I could see them doing it. The thing is they would give up little and take on the whole deal. Phills have had a plan to absorb these contracts to get better quality players in return. They are doing the same with Hamels. Well they did the same with Cole to the Cubs. Cubs would have taken on that whole deal but given little talent.

Bottom line is the Phills want talent. Not cost relief. Cubs just want to buy them with low talent paid.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Think it is due diligence. I doubt they can come to an agreement on talent. My guess is they want Tores.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Torres is an ideal trading chip. 18 years old, exelling in A ball and years away from the show. Sell high. The only thing is he should be part of a package for a bigger fish than Papelbon.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I'd be willing to trade:

• Albert Almora
  • Either Billy McKinney or Gleyber Torres
  • Either Corey Black or Dan Vogelbach

I sincerely doubt Cincinnati trades him to a division rival. Washington showed interest but talks ended quickly. My guess was that the Reds didn't understand "no means no" when they asked for Giolito.

High asking price? Fuck that.

But to answer your question, not much--I probably wouldn't target him. Dude knows he's a free agent soon and he has given the notion he wants to be on the yankees/get the stereotypical Yankees treatment as a big name FA. And in 2 years, a lot of money is off the books in NY. Texiera, CC, Beltran are 3. A couple other fat salaries will also be close to gone like ARod the following year and McCann has a mutual option, I cant recall.

~63 mil of payroll, including not picking up/buying out CC his last year at 5 mil. And another 38 mil off the books the following year depending on McCann's option. That's just in big salaries alone. 15+ mil ones.

Like the Mets, I want the cubs to chat with the Astros. Lots of talent on that squad in the minors, especially starting pitching.

I'd inquire about Musgrove, McCullers, Hader, Velazquez and even Appel. See what Houston needs/wants, from viewing the top prospects and draft, they want more balance in the OF. They need hitting, don't really need I think after drafting Tucker #5 overall. Is this Correa kid going to stick at SS or move? They got a bunch of young guys ARB eligible next year, and then some really bigger names the year after.

They need help at 1st. And catching. And as I inquired about with Correa, they may need MI help too. They're very strong at SP and OF. They've gotten a bunch of listed "short stops" but Nolan Fontana is bad at the plate and not so excellent on defense. Then there's Correa, and then Alex Bregman, who they just took #2 overall this past week.

So no doubt, if Houston were serious about an exchange of talent, Schwarber would be their guy realistically targeting to give up some of their top pitching talent. Zagunis, though having a great season at A Advanced (the cubs aren't in Daytona anymore?)--probably wouldn't be the target I'd go for if I were the Astros sitting at the table. Well, if I were giving up good pitching.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
@BleacherNation: Phillies Reportedly Scouting Cubs Minor League System http://www.bleachernation.com/2015/06/12/phillies-reportedly-scouting-cubs-minor-league-system/ pic.twitter.com/WyXRbAKwm7

Most likely for papelbon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

With the Cubs nabbing Soriano, I don't think they'd be willing to trade prospects for Papelbon when it's essentially a rental (although he does have a vesting option if he finishes 55 games this year or 100 between 14-15). If anything, I think they'll end up looking to nab a bench bat or buy low on a starter hoping to give up minimal farm depth. I still feel like they'll be going really hard after David Price and/or Jordan Zimmerman this offseason.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
With the Cubs nabbing Soriano, I don't think they'd be willing to trade prospects for Papelbon when it's essentially a rental (although he does have a vesting option if he finishes 55 games this year or 100 between 14-15). If anything, I think they'll end up looking to nab a bench bat or buy low on a starter hoping to give up minimal farm depth. I still feel like they'll be going really hard after David Price and/or Jordan Zimmerman this offseason.
I wouldn't count on Soriano for anything yet..

He hasn't even come to the states yet..
The earliest he may even come up if he pitches well in extended ST is probably after AS break. .

He no guarantee to pitch or pitch well right now..

I really believe theo/jed is putting pieces in place for possible trades and waiting to see where the team is at the break. . If their in serious contention and within 5 games of division and or playoffs, they most likely look to improve the rotation and add a bat..

Adding Soriano and maybe Papelbon just makes their bullpen better at the end and lets them be able to use jackson and wood in a trade to a team looking for SP depth/help..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Surely their is a salary dump out there for a rental that wouldn't cost the Cubs a ton of prospects and basically just money. Haren wants to head west apparently, but like I keep regurgitating, you have a couple intriguing rentals in Kazmir and Harang.

Both would be a massive upgrade to Wada and besides the bullpen, this is where I would concentrate. I feel the Cubs have enough if and when Ramirez, Soler, and LaStella return to really give this team a boost, plus towards the end of the year, they can experiment and get Baez and maybe even Schwarber up to see what they bring to the table.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I sincerely doubt Cincinnati trades him to a division rival. Washington showed interest but talks ended quickly. My guess was that the Reds didn't understand "no means no" when they asked for Giolito.

High asking price? Fuck that.

But to answer your question, not much--I probably wouldn't target him. Dude knows he's a free agent soon and he has given the notion he wants to be on the yankees/get the stereotypical Yankees treatment as a big name FA. And in 2 years, a lot of money is off the books in NY. Texiera, CC, Beltran are 3. A couple other fat salaries will also be close to gone like ARod the following year and McCann has a mutual option, I cant recall.

~63 mil of payroll, including not picking up/buying out CC his last year at 5 mil. And another 38 mil off the books the following year depending on McCann's option. That's just in big salaries alone. 15+ mil ones.

Like the Mets, I want the cubs to chat with the Astros. Lots of talent on that squad in the minors, especially starting pitching.

I'd inquire about Musgrove, McCullers, Hader, Velazquez and even Appel. See what Houston needs/wants, from viewing the top prospects and draft, they want more balance in the OF. They need hitting, don't really need I think after drafting Tucker #5 overall. Is this Correa kid going to stick at SS or move? They got a bunch of young guys ARB eligible next year, and then some really bigger names the year after.

They need help at 1st. And catching. And as I inquired about with Correa, they may need MI help too. They're very strong at SP and OF. They've gotten a bunch of listed "short stops" but Nolan Fontana is bad at the plate and not so excellent on defense. Then there's Correa, and then Alex Bregman, who they just took #2 overall this past week.

So no doubt, if Houston were serious about an exchange of talent, Schwarber would be their guy realistically targeting to give up some of their top pitching talent. Zagunis, though having a great season at A Advanced (the cubs aren't in Daytona anymore?)--probably wouldn't be the target I'd go for if I were the Astros sitting at the table. Well, if I were giving up good pitching.

Schwarber is off the table for me if you are talking minor league talent, for minor league talent. If I am using Schwarber, it will be in a deal similar to when Theo traded mainly H-Ram and Sanchez to the Marlins for Beckett and Lowell.

The only way I include Kyle, is for a ready made pitcher. That is what the Phillies are wanting for Hamels is top end prospects, and you know that Billy Beane would be wanting Schwarber to be in a deal if Sonny Gray were on the table.

There is a bounty of arms going into free agency, and yes, while I would like to have a young stud in the stable, their is nothing wrong with a Price, Fister, Cueto, Zimmerman, Kazmir, and maybe even Greinke until reinforcements start to emerge out of the system. TOR is TOR. What do I care how they get it?

All of these young players keep the payroll in tact, so if you are going to spend now, do it on pitching.

We will see what Edwards brings soon (probably in the bullpen at first), and guys in A ball like Underwood, Martinez, and Skulina.

There are a few in AA too, but nothing outstanding numbers-wise except for Batista, and Jacob Turner is pitching right now, so we will see how he does moving forward.

It is about time for the Cubs to find that needle in the haystack in the system. Right now, Hendricks has been the closest thing, but he is a control pitcher and not a power arm. I like Hendricks, but on a good team, he would be pitching depth which is where I hope the Cubs are headed with him.

Maybe I am putting the cart before the horse, but to envision a trio of Rizzo, Bryant, and Schwarber back-to-back-to-back is very enticing. And to think that possibly Russell, Soler, and either Baez or Castro wrapped around them somewhere, is even more enticing.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It is about time for the Cubs to find that needle in the haystack in the system. Right now, Hendricks has been the closest thing, but he is a control pitcher and not a power arm. I like Hendricks, but on a good team, he would be pitching depth which is where I hope the Cubs are headed with him.

Most likely Turner. He doing rehab starts and most likely is the guy to take over Wada's spot.

Maybe I am putting the cart before the horse, but to envision a trio of Rizzo, Bryant, and Schwarber back-to-back-to-back is very enticing. And to think that possibly Russell, Soler, and either Baez or Castro wrapped around them somewhere, is even more enticing.

Right now it is Fowler, Bryant, Rizzo, Montero, Castro, Coghlan, Denorfia

When Soler gets back it goes:

Fowler, Bryant, Rizzo, Soler, Montero, Castro, Coghlan

Now when Baez gets on the team

Fowler, Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Soler, Montero, Castro

Schwarber would end up taking Montero's spot down the road.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Speaking of that: AA Turner picks up the win in 5 IP 2 hits, 0 ER 1 BB 3 SO. Well he might have pushed up his time line.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Schwarber is off the table for me if you are talking minor league talent, for minor league talent. If I am using Schwarber, it will be in a deal similar to when Theo traded mainly H-Ram and Sanchez to the Marlins for Beckett and Lowell.

The only way I include Kyle, is for a ready made pitcher. That is what the Phillies are wanting for Hamels is top end prospects, and you know that Billy Beane would be wanting Schwarber to be in a deal if Sonny Gray were on the table.

There is a bounty of arms going into free agency, and yes, while I would like to have a young stud in the stable, their is nothing wrong with a Price, Fister, Cueto, Zimmerman, Kazmir, and maybe even Greinke until reinforcements start to emerge out of the system. TOR is TOR. What do I care how they get it?

All of these young players keep the payroll in tact, so if you are going to spend now, do it on pitching.

We will see what Edwards brings soon (probably in the bullpen at first), and guys in A ball like Underwood, Martinez, and Skulina.

There are a few in AA too, but nothing outstanding numbers-wise except for Batista, and Jacob Turner is pitching right now, so we will see how he does moving forward

There's no denying Price would be good, but going on 31 next season, how long will he be effective? I also think the Tigers will pay him big money to stay.

Also lets not count chickens, many pitchers listed above Boo can be retained.

As for Schwarber, yes his bat is enticing and projects to be something fierce, not exactly something you want to just give up. But for TOR--you pay the price. Its what wins championships. Stockpiling hitters is great, but it means nothing when your rotation is average at best with a career journeyman overachieving. Hammel cannot keep up this pace.

Let me ask you this, would you give up Schwarber for Kuechel?

Hendricks--who you mention isn't the needle in a haystack. He's a slightly better Randy Wells.

It is about time for the Cubs to find that needle in the haystack in the system. Right now, Hendricks has been the closest thing, but he is a control pitcher and not a power arm. I like Hendricks, but on a good team, he would be pitching depth which is where I hope the Cubs are headed with him

See, I've been harping on this since the Almora draft. In order to find the needle in the haystack you actually have to chance it on the talent. I understand more than anyone here that not every prospect, especially pitching makes it. The cubs have not taken the chance. Stinette blows, CJ Edwards is average at best at AAA right now, Johnson is hurt. Zastrysysny blows. Underwood looks great--in A ball. Tseng is struggling. Skulina is slightly above average in A ball.

The cubs have thrown shit against the wall and have hoped something will stick. Nothing has. They've gotten lucky with Arrieta turning it around. Turner I have no hope for. If he was that good, Detroit wouldn't have dealt him and Miami wouldn't have just cast him aside like a piece of trash. He may be a bullpen guy. Don't buy him as a starter. Thats for sure.

You want the 1 in 1000000. He doesn't exactly come around that often as a pitcher after the 1st round. Some guys are solid, many--the truly talented ones get taken right away, unless you're afraid to shell out money with the new draft rules.

I want the next young stud too. The cubs have to take a fucking chance though. They havent. So that's why we're discussing trades and free agents. No TOR is in the pipeline that can be taken seriously.

I think of what we saw this year, Ryan Kellogg is the best bet, best stuff--however from what I see his routine of setting up for a low in the zone K pitch wont work. He needs to be able to locate everywhere, not finish with stuff low in the zone. Dave Berg is a bullpen guy, a good one at UCLA. This HS kid Hudson is 6'7 and has a mid 80s fastball.

Till Theo/McLeod take TOR potential beyond a Tommy John HS kid, We're going to keep discussing trades and FA signings for the ace of this team. I'd prefer Zimmerman over price long term as we talk about free agents. 400 less IP over career, and the better long term investment for 5+ years at 100 mil+.

By then hopefully we can stop fooling ourselves with garbage like Travis Wood, Wada, Turner, Ejax, and the rest.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Here are my thoughts:

Let's talk about the draft that just happened this past week. While I wished the front office took Brady Aiken instead, I like Ian Happ as my #2 choice and I think the Cubs will want to develop him fully on both sides of the plate with his switch hitting. I also like them picking up Donnie Dewees. He was viewed as a potential first round pick. Both could rise up through the ranks like Schwarber/Bryant and become top prospects in a few years.

As for the pitching, I like most of the picks. Hudson is a projectable arm that with a few years of development can become a top of the rotation starter if his velocity explodes and tightens up his curve. Kellogg is a high floor, low ceiling type of guy who projects as a bottom of the rotation starter. Berg is a pitcher who can rise up quickly and contribute to the bullpen by next year.

As for the trade deadline, there have been rumors that the Cubs are interested in the Phillies' Papelbon. I just think they do not need to give up any of their top prospects for him. One guy I think the front office should consider is the Yankees' Michael Pineda. He is a guy who has had shoulder issues and has had some rough outings this year, but can be a very valuable starter when healthy. It shouldn't cost the Cubs a lot to acquire him and if we do, he could be very good if Bosio can fix some of his issues and can stay healthy.

For this upcoming free agency, I think the front office needs to stay away from David Price and Johnny Cueto. Jordan Zimmerman should be their #1 pitching target with guys like Mat Latos, Mike Leake, and Brett Anderson following as backup options. With those last three, by signing one of them, you hope that Chris Bosio can turn them around and end up like Jake Arrieta. As for the bullpen, I think Tyler Clippard should be the guy, but I don't want the FO to overspend like crazy on him though.