Hoge: firing Matt Nagy would be a mistake

DammitFullerTurnUrHead!

Liked Posts:
worst coach in the league? No one and I mean NO ONE compares to Adam Gase. But there are others much worse than Nagy too. Like the few already fired. Mike McCarthy, Adam Gase, Anthony Lynn, Doug Marrone, probably even Mike Zimmer. Point is there are MUCH worse than what we have and not sure any off season candidates could hold this group together better.
Everyone on this list has atleast won a playoff game, and did it in under 3 full seasons as a head coach. Gase is the only exception, and even he's been to the playoffs as many times as Nagy. You really can not inarguably make the claim that Nagy, put in any of those coaches' current situations, would be any more successful than they've been this season. There really isnt "much" worse than Nagy at the HC level in the NFL. Also, "holding the group together" is a pathetic barometer to have when judging the success of a head coach, and he really hasnt even done that. They lost 6 games in a row. They beat a talent deficient, injury riddled Texans team and a mediocre Vikings team, a team they lost to a month ago, and suddenly Nagy deserves credit for "holding the group together"? What about the Titans, Colts, Rams, Packers and even the Lions making them look like clowns? How did "holding the group together" go against any team with a winning record over the past 2 months? Over the past 2 years?

baredown

Liked Posts:
The McCaskeys are going to be reluctant to fire anyone. They, like us, are tired of the revolving door of coaches/GMs at Halas Hall. They want stability and continuity and if they, in any way, can justify keeping them both, they will.
This is a solid assessment of where we’re were at and how things will likely roll out. Generally speaking, it’s actually a prudent organizational philosophy to follow. The problem I have with following it here is that I believe Nagy’s HC DNA is fundamentally flawed in two ways. First, he simply doesn’t like to run the ball (the last few weeks notwithstanding...). Second, when it comes down to the critical plays, his instinct is try and outsmart the other team, not simply out-execute them. Sort of a the-smartest-guy-on-the-field type of thing. With those flaws, I just don’t see him being a successful HC over the long haul. But I’ve resigned myself to seeing him on the sidelines for at least another year...

However, if I’m Trubisky’s agent, I’m telling him that he needs to find somewhere else to play if Nagy is coming back. They are simply a bad match...

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
Everyone on this list has atleast won a playoff game, and did it in under 3 full seasons as a head coach. Gase is the only exception, and even he's been to the playoffs as many times as Nagy. You really can not inarguably make the claim that Nagy, put in any of those coaches' current situations, would be any more successful than they've been this season. There really isnt "much" worse than Nagy at the HC level in the NFL. Also, "holding the group together" is a pathetic barometer to have when judging the success of a head coach, and he really hasnt even done that. They lost 6 games in a row. They beat a talent deficient, injury riddled Texans team and a mediocre Vikings team, a team they lost to a month ago, and suddenly Nagy deserves credit for "holding the group together"? What about the Titans, Colts, Rams, Packers and even the Lions making them look like clowns? How did "holding the group together" go against any team with a winning record over the past 2 months? Over the past 2 years?
I meant holding the group together as a roster. Or in a morale sense. Like they believe the base of this team can win a championship and not start making drastic change. If Nagy and Pace go the team gets blown up. The culture has never been in doubt with Nagy IMO.

And how did the last 3 years go? Better than the 5 previous years before Nagy got here.

10veitout

Quack quack 🦆
Liked Posts:
worst coach in the league? No one and I mean NO ONE compares to Adam Gase. But there are others much worse than Nagy too. Like the few already fired. Mike McCarthy, Adam Gase, Anthony Lynn, Doug Marrone, probably even Mike Zimmer. Point is there are MUCH worse than what we have and not sure any off season candidates could hold this group together better.

Mike McCarthy's GB tenure was better then Payton's parallel tenure in NO, and yet McCarthy is a bad coach?

He had the number 1 O in the league this season until Dalton was his QB lol. That's a bad pairing with an awful D, the side of the ball he doesn't coach.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Mike McCarthy's GB tenure was better then Payton's parallel tenure in NO, and yet McCarthy is a bad coach?

He had the number 1 O in the league this season until Dalton was his QB lol. That's a bad pairing with an awful D, the side of the ball he doesn't coach.

I don't understand how McCarthy was bad. I also don't remember why the Packers let him go. I mean he wasn't quite Holmgren level, but he was pretty close. he was within about 10 wins, if you want to use win/loss as a metric. obviously a brilliant offensive mind, 2007 Favre/Rodgers did a lot of damage on that front. yes Packer kid, I'm giving you some credit today.

10veitout

Quack quack 🦆
Liked Posts:
I don't understand how McCarthy was bad. I also don't remember why the Packers let him go. I mean he wasn't quite Holmgren level, but he was pretty close. he was within about 10 wins, if you want to use win/loss as a metric. obviously a brilliant offensive mind, 2007 Favre/Rodgers did a lot of damage on that front. yes Packer kid, I'm giving you some credit today.

I think McCarthy's tenure was actually more successful then Holmgrens overall.

McCarthy's O had grown kind of stale, Rodgers had started a mutiny and was taking McCarthy's play calls as suggestions, it was time for a shakeup. He is still a good coach though, no doubt. Andy Reid was fired from Philly for similar reasons.

The dude went DAL and immediately had them on a historic pace on O.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:

Yes. If you’ve ever watched him he is a TERRIBLE coach. Terrible time management. Poor decision making. All that with a TON of coaching experience in the NFL. Hanging on Aaron Rodgers nut sack for a decade does not make him a good coach.

10veitout

Quack quack 🦆
Liked Posts:
Yes. If you’ve ever watched him he is a TERRIBLE coach. Terrible time management. Poor decision making. All that with a TON of coaching experience in the NFL. Hanging on Aaron Rodgers nut sack for a decade does not make him a good coach.

Nonsense. None of that is true about McCarthy.

McCarthy factually had a better parallel tenure in GB then Sean Payton had in NO. The only way to call him a bad coach is to say Sean Payton is even worse.

McCarthy's completely overhauled Rodgers mechanics and developed him, whereas Paytin just kind of acquired Brees.

Your subjective declaration that McCarthy is bad at game management etc. does not overrule the fact that he is one of the most successful HCs in football, with consistent top 5/10 O his whole career.

gt07

Liked Posts:
The problem is that the McCasky’s are so far removed from the game that they don’t know who is legit and who is just a freaking con man. Nagy is the latter, but the McClueless’s are frozen in their paralyzed tracks that they don’t know what to do. Deer in head light ownership.
Sad but true.

Hampton once said that Halas went to his grave fearing for the day Mike McCaskey took over. That really explains the last thirty years, doesn’t it?

BrunoTheRed

Liked Posts:
yeah but you also bought into Pizzagate so there's that...

Well, I guess we see how serious the mods are about holding to their stickied rule:

Same old CCS Cesspool.

46plank

Liked Posts:
If the Bears went 14-2 but lost to the Packers twice, would everyone still bitch?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with Satan boy.

McCarthy did a better job of slowing down Aaron Rodgers than the Bears ever did.

He had the Patrick Mahones cheat code player of his era and wanted to run the ball on every 1st and 2nd down.

He was a fat turd with hot mustard.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
He's not a good game manager but I do think the team buys into him.

If Nagy could get good coaches around him to call plays while plays rah rah and pumps everyone up I think he's actually got some good head coach qualities.

He also needs a better analytics guy to make this other decisions and not over think shit.

I dint want to be the new raiders or Loins with a new coaches every 3 years gets you no where in the nfl at some point you gotta stick with a good leader and build around them in other ways

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well, I guess we see how serious the mods are about holding to their stickied rule:

Same old CCS Cesspool.

Lol you're a bitch.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Nonsense. None of that is true about McCarthy.

McCarthy factually had a better parallel tenure in GB then Sean Payton had in NO. The only way to call him a bad coach is to say Sean Payton is even worse.

McCarthy's completely overhauled Rodgers mechanics and developed him, whereas Paytin just kind of acquired Brees.

Your subjective declaration that McCarthy is bad at game management etc. does not overrule the fact that he is one of the most successful HCs in football, with consistent top 5/10 O his whole career.
Please note that aaronitout is admitting right here that the guy most responsible for Aaron Rodgers development (in his eyes) is long-gone from the organisation.