Hoge: firing Matt Nagy would be a mistake

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
Nonsense. None of that is true about McCarthy.

McCarthy factually had a better parallel tenure in GB then Sean Payton had in NO. The only way to call him a bad coach is to say Sean Payton is even worse.

McCarthy's completely overhauled Rodgers mechanics and developed him, whereas Paytin just kind of acquired Brees.

Your subjective declaration that McCarthy is bad at game management etc. does not overrule the fact that he is one of the most successful HCs in football, with consistent top 5/10 O his whole career.
If he was that good of a coach he probably wouldn’t have to sit out a season before getting Dallas job. There is also concern of him holding a locker room and him and coaching staffs professionalism. So no, even though his record and offensive stats playing with one of the all time greatest QBs of all time are very good, it does not make him a good HC.

10veitout

Quack quack 🦆
Liked Posts:
Please note that aaronitout is admitting right here that the guy most responsible for Aaron Rodgers development (in his eyes) is long-gone from the organisation.

Sure, but not the people responsible for his acquisition. Holmgren (the guy who developed Favre) was gone when we drafted Rodgers, he still came along quite well, dont you think?
If he was that good of a coach he probably wouldn’t have to sit out a season before getting Dallas job. There is also concern of him holding a locker room and him and coaching staffs professionalism. So no, even though his record and offensive stats playing with one of the all time greatest QBs of all time are very good, it does not make him a good HC.

McCarthy turned down two jobs in the 2019 offseason as possibly another.

The Cardinals offered him full organizational control, to which he refused, and the Browns were going to hire him, with the caveat that he keep Freddie Kitchens as OC, to which he refused.

The Jets also fell out with him over a staffing impasse, likely similar to the Browns situation.

McCarthy resume if amazing, and that HOFer was a guy he developed. Anyone who calls Sean 'discount McCarthy' Payton a good HC is conceding McCarthy is too.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I understand the argument Hoge is trying to make.

But honestly I am reminded of something Dan Bernstein once confided on the radio.

He said a dirty little secret of sports journalism is that sometimes teams will leak a story to a preferred journalist they are in good relation with.

the journalist will take that story and turn it into their own idea and essentially push the teams agenda. It's considered one of the costs of also being able to get scoops now and again.

the point is to try to get fans to buy in or at least prepare them for the decision the team will ultimately come to.

Now that was from Dan Bernstein who himself worked on the Bears and bulls beats before.

I think this smells to me like that kind of article.
I stopped reading after Bernstein

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Sure, but not the people responsible for his acquisition. Holmgren (the guy who developed Favre) was gone when we drafted Rodgers, he still came along quite well, dont you think?

McCarthy turned down two jobs in the 2019 offseason as possibly another.

The Cardinals offered him full organizational control, to which he refused, and the Browns were going to hire him, with the caveat that he keep Freddie Kitchens as OC, to which he refused.

The Jets also fell out with him over a staffing impasse, likely similar to the Browns situation.

McCarthy resume if amazing, and that HOFer was a guy he developed. Anyone who calls Sean 'discount McCarthy' Payton a good HC is conceding McCarthy is too.
The Browns first two choices were Kitchens and then Stefanski.