Hopkins on the move...to Chicago???

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Why not? When he got back from suspension the guy played like one of the best players in the league. 717 yards in 9 games.

You've got the money. It doesn't cost a draft pick. It's not like he's going to get a 5 year deal. It'll be a 1 or 2 year deal most likely.

Why not maximize Fields rookie contract?

They have the room for Hopkins AND a vet DE still. Neither of those signings effects anything long term.

Mooney and Claypool are OK.... but Hopkins is a HOF WR that's 31 in a few days and shows no signs of slowing down if you saw him last year. There's plenty of players of his caliber that put up 1,000+ seasons well into their 30's.

Hopkins and Houston at DE. Why not? I like that better than throwing big money after Yannick.

At the very least we know about Fields. I mean if he can't succeed throwing to DJ and DeAndre he's not succeeding ever right?

What's the downside here? What's the move this is preventing?

EDIT: I don't think this happens.... I just don't think it's crazy either.
I haven't read through this thread yet but this is my exact thoughts...the Bears have cap space to sign Hopkins and front load a 2-3 year deal and have easily one of the top WR groups in the NFL. I don't get the aversion to making the offense better but it is pretty fucking dumb. And the ridiculous notion that Claypool or Mooney would need to be traded (and that somehow Claypool would warrant a 3rd round pick) is stupid also. why do either of them need to be traded. If the depth chart plays out where a WR needs to go, than just cut whatever WR...and that includes Claypool.

I would rather Poles eat that mistake and move on than base roster decisions because he overpaid for a mediocre WR.

Having said that and as you mentioned, Hopkins coming here won't happen because it doesn't make sense for Hopkins. He wants to go to a contender and get that ring...the Bears are not there and Hopkins more than likely wouldn't take them there.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
This is weird. I never created this thread, so it was split out from the Offseason talk thread?

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This is weird. I never created this thread, so it was split out from the Offseason talk thread?
Probably multiple threads that were merged into 1

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I haven't read through this thread yet but this is my exact thoughts...the Bears have cap space to sign Hopkins and front load a 2-3 year deal and have easily one of the top WR groups in the NFL. I don't get the aversion to making the offense better but it is pretty fucking dumb. And the ridiculous notion that Claypool or Mooney would need to be traded (and that somehow Claypool would warrant a 3rd round pick) is stupid also. why do either of them need to be traded. If the depth chart plays out where a WR needs to go, than just cut whatever WR...and that includes Claypool.

I would rather Poles eat that mistake and move on than base roster decisions because he overpaid for a mediocre WR.

Having said that and as you mentioned, Hopkins coming here won't happen because it doesn't make sense for Hopkins. He wants to go to a contender and get that ring...the Bears are not there and Hopkins more than likely wouldn't take them there.

It doesn't make sense for the Bears either.

1. Hopkins doesn't like to practice. You can't go hard at Jenkins last year forn his low energy practicing then give Hopkins a pass for not wanting to practice.
2. Hopkins needs to be fed the ball. You aren't going to give him the 10 targets a game he got with the Cards.
3. Both Mooney and Claypool want big new deals so adding another player to take targets away from them is likely to piss one or both off.

So this whole idea ignores the fact that you are dealing with humans with egos and baggage. There is no way the Bears would be able to keep Moore, Mooney, Claypool, and Hopkins happy. Not to mention you add in Kmet and Tonyan also needing targets.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It doesn't make sense for the Bears either.

1. Hopkins doesn't like to practice. You can't go hard at Jenkins last year forn his low energy practicing then give Hopkins a pass for not wanting to practice.
2. Hopkins needs to be fed the ball. You aren't going to give him the 10 targets a game he got with the Cards.
3. Both Mooney and Claypool want big new deals so adding another player to take targets away from them is likely to piss one or both off.

So this whole idea ignores the fact that you are dealing with humans with egos and baggage. There is no way the Bears would be able to keep Moore, Mooney, Claypool, and Hopkins happy. Not to mention you add in Kmet and Tonyan also needing targets.

1. Maybe I'm not in tune with Hopkins news but I never thought Hopkins had an issue with practicing
2. I don't think any coordinator or coach is going to say that a top WR in the NFL doesn't fit their scheme because they don't have enough targets for him. The same could have been said about AJ Brown in Philly last year. In 2021 Smith led the Eagles in targets with 104 with Goedert at 76. Last year Brown had 145 and Smith had 136...that is a jump of 101 targets for the top 2 WR's...amazing how an offense can transform when a top WR makes his way to the team.
3. Who gives a shit if bringing in Hopkins would piss off Mooney or Claypool...the team should be focused on winning not if Chase Claypool is happy. If Claypool hadn't been focused on his TikToks in Pittsburgh than he wouldn't be in a situation like he is now. And Mooney would probably benefit from Hopkins coming by sliding him into the slot.

If you are using Claypool, Mooney, Kmet, and Tonyan targets as an excuse to stay away from Hopkins, then I don't know what else to say...I know you aren't a complete tard, but that is the dumbest shit I have ever read.

It makes sense for the Bears but it won't happen because it doesn't make sense for Hopkins

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
1. Maybe I'm not in tune with Hopkins news but I never thought Hopkins had an issue with practicing
2. I don't think any coordinator or coach is going to say that a top WR in the NFL doesn't fit their scheme because they don't have enough targets for him. The same could have been said about AJ Brown in Philly last year. In 2021 Smith led the Eagles in targets with 104 with Goedert at 76. Last year Brown had 145 and Smith had 136...that is a jump of 101 targets for the top 2 WR's...amazing how an offense can transform when a top WR makes his way to the team.
3. Who gives a shit if bringing in Hopkins would piss off Mooney or Claypool...the team should be focused on winning not if Chase Claypool is happy. If Claypool hadn't been focused on his TikToks in Pittsburgh than he wouldn't be in a situation like he is now. And Mooney would probably benefit from Hopkins coming by sliding him into the slot.

If you are using Claypool, Mooney, Kmet, and Tonyan targets as an excuse to stay away from Hopkins, then I don't know what else to say...I know you aren't a complete tard, but that is the dumbest shit I have ever read.

It makes sense for the Bears but it won't happen because it doesn't make sense for Hopkins
Hopkins has never been known for his practice habits and his locker room harmony.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

1. See post 114 and 133 for his practice habits or lack thereof. It also references how he can be a diva and malcontent which plays into 2 and 3 above.

2. I dont think he is still a top WR. And we already gpt Moore to be our AJ Brown. There simply are not enough targets to go around IMO hence why I doubt he seriously considers us even though he may consider Houston. Houston has Robert Woods and not much else.

3. Poles and Flus likely give a shit if it is going to disrupt the culture. It is a young team. Don't think it makes sense to bring in a potential diva WR who isnt elite anymore if the end result is he and the other WRs are not happy about the amount of balls they are getting.

So no I dont think adding a diva WR makes sense for the culture Poles is trying to build especially when he is no longer good enough to warrant the number of balls he likely expects to get to the detriment of younger players who are more likely to buy in and be here longer term.

If he were still a true No 1 and could play nice then fuck it but if he were a true No 1 still he would already be signed.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I stopped listening when I saw they used this site as a source.

Immediately disqualifies them from being taken seriously....

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
1. See post 114 and 133 for his practice habits or lack thereof. It also references how he can be a diva and malcontent which plays into 2 and 3 above.

2. I dont think he is still a top WR. And we already gpt Moore to be our AJ Brown. There simply are not enough targets to go around IMO hence why I doubt he seriously considers us even though he may consider Houston. Houston has Robert Woods and not much else.

3. Poles and Flus likely give a shit if it is going to disrupt the culture. It is a young team. Don't think it makes sense to bring in a potential diva WR who isnt elite anymore if the end result is he and the other WRs are not happy about the amount of balls they are getting.

So no I dont think adding a diva WR makes sense for the culture Poles is trying to build especially when he is no longer good enough to warrant the number of balls he likely expects to get to the detriment of younger players who are more likely to buy in and be here longer term.

If he were still a true No 1 and could play nice then fuck it but if he were a true No 1 still he would already be signed.

1. He was still a top 10 WR when he got back from his suspension. I get the practice concerns but if Hopkins can still outperform the majority of the league's WR's with poor practice habits and having a backup QB throw to him in all but 4 of the games he was active for...than I would say it is safe to say his practice habits probably aren't that bad. But he isn't as big of a diva as some are portraying him as.

2. You may not think he is still a top WR, but his actual production shows that he still is...even with Colt McCoy, Trace McSorley, and David Blough as his QB. Moore is not on the level as Brown....Moore is good and he will be fine here, but a Moore/Hopkins combo would be infinitely better than a Moore/Mooney combo. No coach is going to say that they would pass on Hopkins because they like Moore and Mooney better. My point about Brown was Philly went from a low volume in passing to their top guys to having Brown and Smith have over 100 targets a piece. Teams will find targets for their studs, the Bears did not have a stud in that WR room to warrant a high target volume. And Houston would be an even longer shot than the Bears to get Hopkins, Hopkins has expressed wanting to go to a contender Houston is not that, along with being traded from Houston, doesnt seem like the best fit for what he wants.

3. This is a business, a business that thrives off of winning and not off of making mediocre at best players happy. But if players like Claypool or Mooney or Kmet are going to get pissed that they lost out on targets to an All-Pro WR than they aren't looking out for the best interest in the team and are more worried about their own personal stats. Players like them know their limitations, they know that at this point in their career a player like Hopkins will be first on the pecking order and they won't care about losing those targets to the better WR.

Again I don't know what the aversion Bears fans have to getting a proven stud at the WR position. He may be older but any contract he gets would not be a long term contract, so whoever signs him understands that his window is 2 years maybe 3. Which is why he is looking at contenders and not the Bears or Texans. He hasn't been signed not because teams are concerned but because he can take his time and choose the team he wants. This isn't day 1 of free agency where there is a frenzy to get players...Hopkins is going to end up signing with either the Chiefs or Bills and barring injury put up another top 10 season.

There isn't many teams that can look at Hopkins and say that he wouldn't make their WR instantly better. But like I have said before, Hopkins isn't coming here and it is because he doesn't see it as a good fit.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1. He was still a top 10 WR when he got back from his suspension. I get the practice concerns but if Hopkins can still outperform the majority of the league's WR's with poor practice habits and having a backup QB throw to him in all but 4 of the games he was active for...than I would say it is safe to say his practice habits probably aren't that bad. But he isn't as big of a diva as some are portraying him as.

2. You may not think he is still a top WR, but his actual production shows that he still is...even with Colt McCoy, Trace McSorley, and David Blough as his QB. Moore is not on the level as Brown....Moore is good and he will be fine here, but a Moore/Hopkins combo would be infinitely better than a Moore/Mooney combo. No coach is going to say that they would pass on Hopkins because they like Moore and Mooney better. My point about Brown was Philly went from a low volume in passing to their top guys to having Brown and Smith have over 100 targets a piece. Teams will find targets for their studs, the Bears did not have a stud in that WR room to warrant a high target volume. And Houston would be an even longer shot than the Bears to get Hopkins, Hopkins has expressed wanting to go to a contender Houston is not that, along with being traded from Houston, doesnt seem like the best fit for what he wants.

3. This is a business, a business that thrives off of winning and not off of making mediocre at best players happy. But if players like Claypool or Mooney or Kmet are going to get pissed that they lost out on targets to an All-Pro WR than they aren't looking out for the best interest in the team and are more worried about their own personal stats. Players like them know their limitations, they know that at this point in their career a player like Hopkins will be first on the pecking order and they won't care about losing those targets to the better WR.

Again I don't know what the aversion Bears fans have to getting a proven stud at the WR position. He may be older but any contract he gets would not be a long term contract, so whoever signs him understands that his window is 2 years maybe 3. Which is why he is looking at contenders and not the Bears or Texans. He hasn't been signed not because teams are concerned but because he can take his time and choose the team he wants. This isn't day 1 of free agency where there is a frenzy to get players...Hopkins is going to end up signing with either the Chiefs or Bills and barring injury put up another top 10 season.

There isn't many teams that can look at Hopkins and say that he wouldn't make their WR instantly better. But like I have said before, Hopkins isn't coming here and it is because he doesn't see it as a good fit.

1. The issue is Poles and Flus buy into the practice and culture thing. So it doesn't matter if you think his shitty practice habits are ok. Flus and Poles likely don't given how they handled Jenkins.

2. Again his production was due to 10 targets a game. @bamainatlanta already noted his efficiency numbers were like 70th for WRs. So unless you think he is getting 10 targets a game here the point is his production will be significantly less and he will likely not be happy about it.

3. No they will care as they all want big new deals. Further the issue is Hopkins is likely to be upset as well because again he isn't going to get 10 targets most likely. So the point is you likely piss off the whole WR room. If Fields has Moore, Hopkins, Mooney/Claypool as options then Hopkins is likely his last choice because again Fields wants to go downfield. Hopkins is best on contested catches but an offense with those guys is likely going to have Hopkins taking more of the short routes and as the other guys are better suited to down the field.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
1. The issue is Poles and Flus buy into the practice and culture thing. So it doesn't matter if you think his shitty practice habits are ok. Flus and Poles likely don't given how they handled Jenkins.

2. Again his production was due to 10 targets a game. @bamainatlanta already noted his efficiency numbers were like 70th for WRs. So unless you think he is getting 10 targets a game here the point is his production will be significantly less and he will likely not be happy about it.

3. No they will care as they all want big new deals. Further the issue is Hopkins is likely to be upset as well because again he isn't going to get 10 targets most likely. So the point is you likely piss off the whole WR room. If Fields has Moore, Hopkins, Mooney/Claypool as options then Hopkins is likely his last choice because again Fields wants to go downfield. Hopkins is best on contested catches but an offense with those guys is likely going to have Hopkins taking more of the short routes and as the other guys are better suited to down the field.

If practice and culture matters, than why trade for a wide receiver who the year prior made more TikToks than catches? Not sure about you but that doesn't line up with the practice culture narrative

TL1961

Liked Posts:

He is completely speculating.

There may be good reasons to not want Hopkins, but he has repeatedly implied Hopkins will be a problem if he only gets a certain amount of targets, and that is nothing more than speculation. Possible? Sure. But it's total conjecture.

Now the practice thing, too. And that Mooney and Claypool are now going to be upset/problems.

Lots of unfounded projections.

Every time another team adds a weapon it's "look at all those weapons", but when the Bears do it or fans wish for them to do it, the locker room is going to explode.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If practice and culture matters, than why trade for a wide receiver who the year prior made more TikToks than catches? Not sure about you but that doesn't line up with the practice culture narrative

This seems like a non-sequitur. Making tik-toks and practicing are not mutually exclusive.

He is completely speculating.

There may be good reasons to not want Hopkins, but he has repeatedly implied Hopkins will be a problem if he only gets a certain amount of targets, and that is nothing more than speculation. Possible? Sure. But it's total conjecture.

Now the practice thing, too. And that Mooney and Claypool are now going to be upset/problems.

Lots of unfounded projections.

Every time another team adds a weapon it's "look at all those weapons", but when the Bears do it or fans wish for them to do it, the locker room is going to explode.

Of course I am. Just as gpphat is speculating that he would be a fit. The difference is I have cited actual articles that have nothing to do with the Bears that note his poor practice habits and his potential diva like attitude. Again there is a reason why he still remains unsigned.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
This seems like a non-sequitur. Making tik-toks and practicing are not mutually exclusive.

Of course I am. Just as gpphat is speculating that he would be a fit. The difference is I have cited actual articles that have nothing to do with the Bears that note his poor practice habits and his potential diva like attitude. Again there is a reason why he still remains unsigned.
I Think he may remain unsigned partially due to the actual on the field stuff that you cited. I thought that was relevant to the conversation. I just thought it was a little bit of unfair speculation added on top.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What are people thinking DHops 2023 contract will look like?
My guess is 10-12 mil +incentives of up to 14 mil, one year contract.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What are people thinking DHops 2023 contract will look like?
My guess is 10-12 mil +incentives of up to 14 mil, one year contract.
Reports are he wants at least what OBJ got.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Why not both Hopkins and Barkley? Bears have the phat lewt to pull it off . . . "#justineedshelp