Hossa's Injury

R K

If they put him on LTIR, which I believe has to be 10 games and 24 days off, they can exceed the cap by his salary. Which means they could call up anyone except Huet. I'm hoping LTIR is not an option because the injury really only is a couple weeks or less.

I thought LTIR had implications for the following season which is why they never put Hossa on LTIR last year.

I could always be incorrect.

Ben Smith is a head scratcher for sure!

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to the Blackhawks Twitter, Ben Smith (who?) wins the call-up lottery.

Former BC Captain, the team that one the NCAA frozen four title last year.. Hawks 2008 6th round pick. Another player I've been wanting to see.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to the Blackhawks Twitter, Ben Smith (who?) wins the call-up lottery.

<
What the. . .? Okay, now that just came out fucking left field. Wow, so since he's got an $800K cap hit which is $250K more than Makarov I guess we can assume that if he weren't banged up Morin might very well have gotten the call seeing as Smith's almost as expensive as JM.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Maybe another team wants to see Smith play at the NHL level...possible trade chip for the future

E Runs

Liked Posts:
Well they didn't even put The Ginge on LTIR and knew he'd be out for 4 weeks minimum so I am thinking they likely won't with Hossa and his shorter term injury.

Ah, see RKs reply, he is correct. The Leafs are one of a couple teams that have a LTIR penalty this season. Of course I was trying to explain this to that idiot Tab Bamford but he just couldn't comprehend.

I thought LTIR had implications for the following season which is why they never put Hossa on LTIR last year.

I could always be incorrect.

Ben Smith is a head scratcher for sure!

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Ah, see RKs reply, he is correct. The Leafs are one of a couple teams that have a LTIR penalty this season. Of course I was trying to explain this to that idiot Tab Bamford but he just couldn't comprehend.

Tab Bamford? I don't recognize that IHN Member Name.
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<

E Runs

Liked Posts:
He's some douche with his own blog (doesn't everyone have one) and we got in a Twitter fight (sounds super ghey) about LTIR. He claimed the reason the Hawks lost so many players over the Summer is because they didn't use LTIR. Which it totally false when in fact there would be a Cap Penalty had the teams used it and thereby would have probably lost more guys. It just really pisses me off when people who claim authority don't know what the fuck their talking about.

EspoForever

Liked Posts:
Aha! Finally some goddamn video isolation of when the injury may have occurred courtesy of NHL.com

VIDEO: Marian Hossa leaves game due to injury

Thanks for posting this...I watched it a few more times and I believe "Ooops he fell on him" is a bit off-target. It sure looked to me like Stoll put his hands out front of him and pile-drove Hossa with all his weight. Next time we face the Kings maybe we need to have Scott in the lineup.

R K

Yes it's the same shoulder that was surgically repaired. Initial thought was he was done for the season. After the MRI and Xrays came back negative they are going to take it slow and ensure it fully heals.

I thought it was a dirty play after watching the replay. He slammed him into the ice when the PUCK was far up the ice. There was no puck.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes it's the same shoulder that was surgically repaired. Initial thought was he was done for the season. After the MRI and Xrays came back negative they are going to take it slow and ensure it fully heals.

I thought it was a dirty play after watching the replay. He slammed him into the ice when the PUCK was far up the ice. There was no puck.

Wow that would have..... REALLY REALLY sucked.

WesternHawk

Liked Posts:
<
What the. . .? Okay, now that just came out fucking left field. Wow, so since he's got an $800K cap hit which is $250K more than Makarov I guess we can assume that if he weren't banged up Morin might very well have gotten the call seeing as Smith's almost as expensive as JM.

I'll just expand on ebonyraptor's earlier post. Although Smith's cap hit is 812K, 220K of that is in performance bonuses, which in all likelyhood, will not be earned. His actual annual cap hit would be 580K, pretty much the same as Makarov's 552K. Morin's actual annual cap hit would be 715K due to the fact he has 235K in performance bonuses that would not be met.

The cap space is computed daily. Presently we have 106K of banked cap space. Since we had to bring up Cullimore to replace Campbell, Smith to replace Hossa and Potulny to replace Bollie, the 3 replacement daily salaries come out of this banked amount. The season contains 186 days, so if a player spends 10 days on the big club you would divide 10 by 186 and multipy that by his cap hit to get his hit to the cap. Basically the daily hit for Potulny is $2688 a day. So is Cully and so was Brophey. Leddy was $6000/ day. Pirri was 3300 a day and Smith is roughly 3200 a day. Mak would be roughly $3000. So these decisions of who to bring up aren't really being affected by salary and or cap hit. Just by need and who has been deserving in the coaches' eyes. When everything returns to normal and the three that were called up as replacements return to the Hogs we will have, roughly,1.3M in cap space for the rest of the season.

I also read someone's post about waivers. None of these forwards will have to pass through waivers since they were called up as an emergency replacement. This happens when you drop below 12 forwards, 6 defensemen or 2 goalies. This may not apply to the defenseman that gets sent down when Soupy comes back, since we had 7 D-men. Cully was brought up 8 days into the season, so if it is anyone else that is sent down that was on the opening night roster, they would have to clear waivers before being assigned to Rockford if it doesn't fall under the emergency recall. We'll find out soon on this one since Soupy will be back soon.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
110difp.jpg

Jesus, Marian, and Jospeh! Now Hossa is out for 4 weeks? I mean as a fangurrrl I would NEVER in a million years want to rush my boy back and I definitely want him to come back healed but shit this just further depresses with the uber-suck! Okay, gonna try to remember the positive salient point here which is that he doesn't need any surgery, won't be out for multiple months or worse yet done for the season. Damn but is his unholy two-way awesomeness gonna be missed on the circus trip this season. {{sighs}}

Team Scope:

Blackhawks -- Injuries have snuck up on the Blackhawks, with Hossa now out four weeks . . .

FULL NHL GAME PREVIEW: http://blackhawks.nh...m?id=2010020157

R K

Am I missing something? Where does it say four weeks?

Never mind I'm an idiot. Maybe it's a typo haha.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

In the Blackhawks portion of the "Team Scope" for tonight's game that I posted---it's just a throwaway line but if all you've heard is a couple of weeks all along then it certainly makes you catch your breath that it's changed.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
RK--in the article that Bookie posted:

Team Scope:

Blackhawks -- Injuries have snuck up on the Blackhawks, with Hossa now out four weeks and Brian Campbell still sidelined, though on the mend and near a return, thanks to his preseason knee injury. There is some thought out there that Campbell could return for this game at MSG, but he remains a long shot, at least for now. Dave Bolland also missed the Hawks game in Minnesota with an upper-body injury and he's listed as day-to-day.

bierboy

Liked Posts:

Never mind I'm an idiot. Maybe it's a typo haha.

Under the section titled "Team Scope"....

Never mind...I see someone else responded.

Can't we delete posts anymore? I don't see that option.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This from Yahoo sports, RW Marian Hossa (upper body) spoke to the media for the first time since getting injured when he collided with the Los Angeles Kings' Jarret Stoll. "I feel a lot of progress," Hossa said. "I'm getting there, probably halfway. ... The good thing was that the MRI showed lots of good stuff." He was originally ruled out two weeks.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's supposedly playing tonight vs EDM.