I think the Bears are going to move quick and hire Josh McDaniels

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
There is something urgent about the head coaching search.

Really what made me think so was when the Bears requested to interview George Edwards.

They already had Wilks coming in next week if they wanted to satisfy the Rooney Rule. However, what if they did not want to wait until next week? If they had their group of guys, why not wait until you meet with Wilks to satisfy the Rooney Rule?

To me, the fact that they want to interview George Edwards this week means they want a decision made quickly.

What this also says to me is that they know who they want already.

It would be someone who they are interviewing this week. Which means it would be either Shurmur, McDaniels, or DeFillipo.

There is another interesting component to this as well. Ben McDaniels is already an offensive assistant on the Chicago Bears staff. He is someone who has been a quarterbacks coach before. And he is someone Pace can use as a direct line to McDaniels without needing to worry about tampering charges.

The other interesting nugget that is just pure speculation on my part but I am considering none the less is whether or not they are using this week to interview people as head coaches with the thought in mind that they would actually be coordinators under Josh McDaniels.

George Edwards and coach Flip both have contracts that expire as soon as their teams lose.

It is entirely possible that coach Flip is the Adam gase of a few years ago when we all thought he was a head coach candidate but people felt he was too young still to hire.

At the very least, with McDaniels antics, if he still has a bit of asshole to him, coach Flip would be able to be a good cop to McDaniels bad cop. Plus with two creative Geniuses in the building, they could perhaps develop something really special in terms of an offensive scheme.

Even more important is the fact that Josh would it be inheriting a very young team. This would be different from Denver where you had veterans set in their ways and pissed off at a coach shaking up the routines. A younger team would be more open to how McDaniels wants to do things.

Let me say that McDaniels is not my primary choice. However, if I am reading things right and of course I certainly could be wrong, I think McDaniels is the guy and we will see how the coordinator positions piece out from there.

It may be that they never even get to Nagy. They may do their due diligence if he is available on Monday ( not 100% sure on the league rules but I think he can interview after their game on Sunday), but especially if they have George Edwards already interviewed, and if Nagy cannot interview until later in the week, I would not be surprised if the Bears announced it this coming Monday. If Nagy can interview on Monday, I would expect an announcement on Tuesday.

Even if I am wrong on McDaniels, I suspect that the timeline would be the same. And if not McDaniels, it would be either Shurmur or Flip.

Just my feel right now. I could be completely wrong.

But I think George and Ted are going along because everyone knows among those three who they want and they want as much of a deal structurally in place as possible in order to move lightning quick.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The world doesn't have enough Jack Daniels for me to drown my sorrows in if the Bears hire this moron as head coach.

give pees a chance

Visionman

Liked Posts:
No one is going to be hired after this initial interview. And any 2nd interview will be after that coach's team has lost in the playoffs. So it will be awhile yet before we know.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The world doesn't have enough Jack Daniels for me to drown my sorrows in if the Bears hire this moron as head coach.

You won't be saying that when McD leads this team to greatness

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I always enjoy the Vash reading of the tea leaves.

George Edwards and all the other coaches the Bears are interviewing this week coach for playoff teams on byes. So there’s that.

The fact they are bringing in Josh McDaniels in for an interview when his brother is on staff is very intriguing.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You won't be saying that when McD leads this team to greatness

Purely out of respect to a great youth coach like yourself I will refrain from roasting you.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Mcdaniels can go to the Giants and draft another franchise qb with the second pick or he come to the bears where he has to make trubisky his guy. Gee what will he do?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I always enjoy the Vash reading of the tea leaves.

George Edwards and all the other coaches the Bears are interviewing this week coach for playoff teams on byes. So there’s that.

The fact they are bringing in Josh McDaniels in for an interview when his brother is on staff is very intriguing.
Maybe his brosef can reign his his ego. Long live the McD bros!

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
Mcdaniels can go to the Giants and draft another franchise qb with the second pick or he come come to the bears where he has to make trubisky his guy. Gee what will he do?

Who is the franchise QB in this draft?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
how does this work though? If they go out and sign him does he still playout the year for the pats? Like is the contract start after the superbowl or something? can they even do that? Or is he expected to just walk away from another superbowl run this year?

Washington

Liked Posts:
I prefer Shurmur and hope Ted, George, and Ryan don't sign McDaniels.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It actually is a definite possibility as they might need to satisfy the ROONEY RULE earlier than the Wilks interview is scheduled due to possibly having their choice of HC already potentially set, if they say, anticipate someone like Josh McDaniels who interviews this week, accepting their offer before they have a chance to interview Steve Wilks, and if you actually think about that it is literally "in the tea leaves" as they say.

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/...edule-Rumors?p=2936809&viewfull=1#post2936809

Hmmmmm....

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/...for-his-next-Head-Coach-might-be-his-personal

Looks like I literally "see eye to eye" with OP for once and agree with him almost 100% even before he ever came up with the idea all by himself!

Thanks.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
how does this work though? If they go out and sign him does he still playout the year for the pats? Like is the contract start after the superbowl or something? can they even do that? Or is he expected to just walk away from another superbowl run this year?

I would imagine it depends on what the Bears, Pats and McD agree upon.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
tl;dr
Short version: It would piss off the most fans while making others very happy. Keep the forums in hot debate for 3 years.