I think the Bears are going to move quick and hire Josh McDaniels

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
how does this work though? If they go out and sign him does he still playout the year for the pats? Like is the contract start after the superbowl or something? can they even do that? Or is he expected to just walk away from another superbowl run this year?

He would officially start after the Superbowl, like Kyle Shannahan.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
George Edwards is aboot to be a free agent. He’d be a great defensive coordinator candidate if he doesn’t get a head coaching gig. I don’t see this as a Rooney Rule interview at all.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Pace does hire him, saddle up for another 3-4 years of suck.

Fuukin A - Do you think it would take him that long to implode??? I have my doubts he would last that long

And Broncos fans would be relishing in our depression every day...

Liked Posts:
I prefer Shurmur and hope Ted, George, and Ryan don't sign McDaniels.

Yeah I don't want any part of McDaniels hired as the HC either. I'd be pretty happy with either one of DeFillipo or Reich though.

Legaeveth

Liked Posts:
I don't think McDaniels has proven a thing in this league he was mediocre when he wasn't sitting underneath Brady's shadow. He got to Denver and proved he was a head case and tore up that team. In my eyes there are quite a few other candidates that I would prefer over him. Just like everyone else who sat underneath Payton Manning. Fox himself had a great record but once out from underneath a superstar QB they show their true colors. I'll pass on McDaniels for now.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bye week availability is what this is about, not a hurry to sign Mickey D. I suspect he'd rather have the NY job if offered anyway. No rap on trubs but they are east coast, big city and have the 2nd pick in the draft so he can still get his young QB.

Liked Posts:
Fuukin A - Do you think it would take him that long to implode??? I have my doubts he would last that long

And Broncos fans would be relishing in our depression every day...

Nope. I think well get the usual circumstances under a HC change if McDaniels is hired. In the first season the team will likely finish below .500 but show scattered improvements that give fans a false sense of hope & promise heading into a second year, where the team will probably fall flat on their faces with a performance that should warrant him being fired after a second dismall year. Of course this FO will be sure to keep him around a year or two beyond when hell actually deserve to be canned.

Honestly I don't project this because I believe that I could know something anyone else doesnt or because of some smarter than attitude, I project the notion because thats what the constant history of this franchises own actions in this situation have already showed what is likely to happen time & time again...simple as that.

Besides that Im no fan of hiring assistants from NE...."Anybody can look like a winner when it's served up piping hot", & one can hide their flaws behind the luxury of a future HOF coach & a future HOF QB.

dakbear

Liked Posts:
I think they are moving quick but not sure if McDaniels DeFilippo or Shurmur. For me right now it is a toss up between DeFilippo and McDaniels. But who really knows with Pace. Look how he fooled everyone with last years draft.

Hotwheelz24

They See Me Rollin'
Liked Posts:
I can't possibly imagine McDaniels becoming the HC and DeFilippo then becoming the OC. I have to think DeFilippo would either become a HC somewhere or end up staying with the Eagles. If McDaniels did become the Bears HC, I could easily see his brother holding the title as our OC even though Josh would be the one actually calling plays.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
Bye week availability is what this is about, not a hurry to sign Mickey D. I suspect he'd rather have the NY job if offered anyway. No rap on trubs but they are east coast, big city and have the 2nd pick in the draft so he can still get his young QB.

Specifically who? Darnold is a bust. Rosen might go back to school. Who's his QB?

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I don't think McDaniels has proven a thing in this league he was mediocre when he wasn't sitting underneath Brady's shadow. He got to Denver and proved he was a head case and tore up that team. In my eyes there are quite a few other candidates that I would prefer over him. Just like everyone else who sat underneath Payton Manning. Fox himself had a great record but once out from underneath a superstar QB they show their true colors. I'll pass on McDaniels for now.

Im not a big fan but you can't say he hasn't proved himself as an OC. Belichick has had him as a coordinator for over a decade I think in two stints and the numbers are impressive.

We can debate how much of that is on Brady, most of it for sure, but if BB thought there was a better OC out there he would have brought him in. That has to count for something.

I still think it would ultimately be a train wreck but if it does happen (and I don't think it will FWIW), the plan will be to get Trubisky as much time with him as possible before it all turns to shit.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
If the Bears get the best candidate available, it will say a lot about Trubisky and Pace.

No way McDaniels even considers Chicago before this offseason

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
There is something urgent about the head coaching search.

Really what made me think so was when the Bears requested to interview George Edwards.

They already had Wilks coming in next week if they wanted to satisfy the Rooney Rule. However, what if they did not want to wait until next week? If they had their group of guys, why not wait until you meet with Wilks to satisfy the Rooney Rule?

To me, the fact that they want to interview George Edwards this week means they want a decision made quickly.

What this also says to me is that they know who they want already.

It would be someone who they are interviewing this week. Which means it would be either Shurmur, McDaniels, or DeFillipo.

There is another interesting component to this as well. Ben McDaniels is already an offensive assistant on the Chicago Bears staff. He is someone who has been a quarterbacks coach before. And he is someone Pace can use as a direct line to McDaniels without needing to worry about tampering charges.

The other interesting nugget that is just pure speculation on my part but I am considering none the less is whether or not they are using this week to interview people as head coaches with the thought in mind that they would actually be coordinators under Josh McDaniels.

George Edwards and coach Flip both have contracts that expire as soon as their teams lose.

It is entirely possible that coach Flip is the Adam gase of a few years ago when we all thought he was a head coach candidate but people felt he was too young still to hire.

At the very least, with McDaniels antics, if he still has a bit of asshole to him, coach Flip would be able to be a good cop to McDaniels bad cop. Plus with two creative Geniuses in the building, they could perhaps develop something really special in terms of an offensive scheme.

Even more important is the fact that Josh would it be inheriting a very young team. This would be different from Denver where you had veterans set in their ways and pissed off at a coach shaking up the routines. A younger team would be more open to how McDaniels wants to do things.

Let me say that McDaniels is not my primary choice. However, if I am reading things right and of course I certainly could be wrong, I think McDaniels is the guy and we will see how the coordinator positions piece out from there.

It may be that they never even get to Nagy. They may do their due diligence if he is available on Monday ( not 100% sure on the league rules but I think he can interview after their game on Sunday), but especially if they have George Edwards already interviewed, and if Nagy cannot interview until later in the week, I would not be surprised if the Bears announced it this coming Monday. If Nagy can interview on Monday, I would expect an announcement on Tuesday.

Even if I am wrong on McDaniels, I suspect that the timeline would be the same. And if not McDaniels, it would be either Shurmur or Flip.

Just my feel right now. I could be completely wrong.

But I think George and Ted are going along because everyone knows among those three who they want and they want as much of a deal structurally in place as possible in order to move lightning quick.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Impressive, all on your handheld device with no auto-correct fuck ups. Well done. :hi5:

Not a McDaniels guy, but I can see how you might think it'll be one of the early interviewees from your explanation. I kinda hope they get it done quickly and wrapped up, so the new hire can start getting his staff lined up. Better to have all potential assistants available vs picking from the leftovers.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I think Shurmur is more likely than McDaniels at this stage.

Order of probability...

Shurmur
DeFilippo
McDaniels
Nagy
Anyone else

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nothing to me about a collaborative effort says "quick".