If this was a first round pick’s 1st start, we’d say this was impressive

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Getsy actually called a smart game plan today. A lot of short throws and using the run to get out of long yardage situations. (Although Fields does bare half of the blame for sacks & refusing to throw short or to open guys). I am worried about his arm, he throws short often which will be figured out soon enough in the league. But at worst, the Bears have a backup QB and at best they might have a competent game manager like Goff or Cousins.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
it was enjoyable watching a competent offensive performance by the Bears.

it was still against a horrible Raiders team. they'll still lose a lot more games this year. Bagent shouldn't be crowned for doing what he's paid to do. changes may or may not happen when the season's over.

my main takeaways were letting Montgomery go has been cemented further as the right choice and the Bears are at least winning against shit teams I guess. this one game doesn't make them world beaters.

Pretty sure no one feels this way.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I can’t stress enough that this is Tyson Bagent’s first career start.

He’s a Division 2 undrafted rookie quarterback.

I’m seeing poise.
I’m seeing him keep his eyes downfield.
I’m seeing him play smart and protecting the football.
I’m seeing him evaluating the field and going the right way.
I’m seeing him escape pressure.

If a #1 overall pick was having a first career start like this, we’d say they were impressive.

I don’t know where this all ends up, probably nowhere. But the man deserves props in his first career start.
For sure. People are weird, man. No other way to explain anyone trying to diminish or shit on the kid.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Fields has thrown for less yards in his career lol…just sayin
Yes he has but Fields has gotten ripped for having these same stats by some of the posters blowing the bag boy.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What I'm seeing is the typical Bears fan reaction to average QB play.

If you're excited about this game if you're mad about this game both sides of that opinion realize how bad Justin Fields is.

The one sidev sees how bad he is and is ready to move on from him.

The other side is looking for ways to tear down Bagent because they are insecure about how bad Justin Fields actually is and not ready to deal in the reality of Justin Fields.

You're absolutely right that this is average Quarterback play. But there's a reason for it. We get excited because we've never had it. Think of the number of times a starter has gotten hurt and the back up stunk up the joint.

The prospect of even a competent backup is exciting because this is the Bears.

Mully just now when discussing the Bears choosing to keep Bagent over Walker in the preseason quipped "There’s a headline. 'BEARS make right decision'. When's the last time you ever read that?"

And there is a little fascination with this guy because having now seen him getting the game ball in the locker room, his body really looks like he just came out of division 2. He hasn't had the benefit of a full NFL training regimen or even a division one training regimen. Which means while I wouldn't expect anything radical, there is a possibility for his arm strength to improve.

I'm not going to crap on fans for getting excited over a rookie showing promise and having some potential upside as well.

But he has a long way to go to prove he should be anything more than a really good backup. Nonetheless he's a backup I would want on my team. Because as we've seen across the NFL and even the other team we played, a ton of backups crap the bed when they come in.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Just enjoy this for what it is. An udfa for the Bears of all teams got a win in his rookie year first start and actually looked like a capable nfl player. Hopefully he is here for years or eventually traded for draft capital.

Bears qb factory? Lol

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yes he has but Fields has gotten ripped for having these same stats by some of the posters blowing the bag boy.
Please show us who has ripped Fields for going 21-29 with a TD and no picks.

Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t remember that happening. The yardage absolutely. The whole he’s never thrown for 300 was ridiculous.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m not going to denigrate Fields. He’s an incredible talent. But just speaking purely on Bagent, his first career start was better than a lot of mediocre QBs’ 30th career start.
This made me lol

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think an UDFA rookie from a D2 school in his 1st start might have lesser expectations than Justin Fields. Feel free to disagree but common sense is common sense
Football common sense should tell you that nothing Bagent did today was impressive and standards of QB play shouldn’t fluctuate depending on who is under center.

How many games in Fields entire career has he gotten the type of defensive support that Bagent did today, to where he didn’t need to constantly press?

Congrats to the screen machine. I’ll be cheering for more losses so Bears can draft Maye.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Football common sense should tell you that nothing Bagent did today was impressive and standards of QB play shouldn’t fluctuate depending on who is under center.

How many games in Fields entire career has he gotten the type of defensive support that Bagent did today, to where he didn’t need to constantly press?

Congrats to the screen machine. I’ll be cheering for more losses so Bears can draft Maye.

Right…you totally expected this performance. Let’s be honest…short of Bagent throwing for 300+ yards and multiple tuddys, you were going to shit on him. He did his job and I’m happy for the kid. Carry on ….also wouldn’t want Maye in the top 10. This class is overvalued. Stroud is better than all of them.