If we lose out...

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So you can guarantee that we draft someone better than Cutler with that pick?

Please elaborate - your delusional posts fascinate the hell out of me.

What a preposterous question, not least because you can't guarantee the success of a first round defensive player either.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
The 49ers, Chiefs, Lions, Bengals, Colts, Panthers, and Seahawk

Don't forget the Chiefs...

And what else do all those teams have in common? You can do it.... Look hard.

The point you just helped me make is there are no guarantees.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
What a preposterous question, not least because you can't guarantee the success of a first round defensive player either.

Drafting a quarterback in the first round would be nothing short of idiocy. I guess f*ck the defense?

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:

I didn't specify D. I specified holes. QB isn't a hole.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I didn't specify D. I specified holes. QB isn't a hole.

You might believe for some delusional reason that Jay Cutler is the qb to hitch your wagon to and win Superbowls with, but let's just consider the possibility that Trestman isn't an idiot and that he may just want to draft his own guy. Or maybe they're not sold on him yet for a long term deal and there's a guy sitting at the Bears pick that Trestman loves something about and thinks he can win with.

It doesn't mean you can't also address the defense.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
You might believe for some delusional reason that Jay Cutler is the qb to hitch your wagon to and win Superbowls with, but let's just consider the possibility that Trestman isn't an idiot and that he may just want to draft his own guy.

He would be an idiot to not think Cutler could get him there. But fine, let's go with your line of thinking...

Our maybe they're not sold on him yet for a long term deal and there's a guy sitting at the Bears pick that Trestman loves something about and thinks he can win with.

The key to it all is talent selection... Period.

I will concede that the Bears should draft a QB in the first round if there is a guaranteed Rodgers sitting there when we draft. Can you guarantee one?

sarcastik

Liked Posts:
Don't forget the Chiefs...

And what else do all those teams have in common? You can do it.... Look hard.

The point you just helped me make is there are no guarantees.

It's not about guarantees, of which there are none. Everyone knows that and you're just stating the obvious. The point is that drafting higher INCREASES a team's chances of drafting elite players. I want to see the Bears win the Super Bowl and I'd rather see them lose meaningless games to increase the chances of drafting playmakers than win them for the sake of nonexistent momentum.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He would be an idiot to not think Cutler could get him there.

Lol what do you base that on? What in the 7.5 years he's been in the nfl makes you think he's the guy to win with?

I will concede that the Bears should draft a QB in the first round if there is a guaranteed Rodgers sitting there when we draft. Can you guarantee one?

You can never guarantee an elite player anywhere at any position. It's not even a GOOD straw man.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
The
point is that drafting higher INCREASES a team's chances of drafting elite players.

Prove this. You said it Now back it up.

I 100% guarantee that for every early pick success you name, I can name many many many more early round misses.

I am telling you that the only thing that helps you make good picks is doing your diligence, navigating the draft properly, focusing on holes and being a good evaluator of talent - period.

You win nothing by losing. You only lose.

Picking early increases nothing.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Lol what do you base that on? What in the 7.5 years he's been in the nfl makes you think he's the guy to win with?

His numbers this season. The eye test. The Bears record with and without him. His arm. The fact that the HC said so. I could go on.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The

I 100% guarantee that for every early pick success you name, I can name many many many more early round misses.

I am telling you that the only thing that helps you make good picks is doing your diligence, navigating the draft properly, focusing on holes and being a good evaluator of talent - period.

You've either missed, or completely failed to absorb, about half of this thread.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
You can never guarantee an elite player anywhere at any position. It's not even a GOOD straw man.

Look up straw man. You mis-used it here.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
The

Pointing out counter examples doesn't matter.

It's a statistical accuracy. When you deem a point is success for an NFL player, look at players who hit it and the probability will show you it happens more with players drafted higher.

Why must I be Saad? Via Tapatalk

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
You might believe for some delusional reason that Jay Cutler is the qb to hitch your wagon to and win Superbowls with, but let's just consider the possibility that Trestman isn't an idiot and that he may just want to draft his own guy. Or maybe they're not sold on him yet for a long term deal and there's a guy sitting at the Bears pick that Trestman loves something about and thinks he can win with.

Let me ask you this. What would you suggest if by some miracle Clowney and Bridgewater both fell to us? Unrealistic, I know. But who do you think would give us the better chance of winning a superbowl? Consider, Cutler and a top 5 offense, plus a revamped defense vs. Bridgewater sitting on the bench for the first year or two and a defense that still sucks. My point is that while the first round can be a crapshoot, there is still a great chance to find a gamechanging, bluechip defensive player. Quarterbacks bust all the time. Teams are stupid enough to draft the overhyped guys like Jmarcus Russle, while smart teams draft a quarterback that fits their system.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
You've either missed, or completely failed to absorb, about half of this thread.

No.... I disagree with most of it. There's a difference.

Mainly the guys who want to lose. But also those who want to lose because they think it helps.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
His numbers this season.

Cutler has 13 tds 8 interceptions (11 turnovers total) in 7.5 games in this offense.

A career backup has 9 tds and has been picked once in 4.5 games.

If a career scrub runs this offense better than Cutler, why do you think a first round rookie under Trestman's wing couldn't ?