You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Imagine this team with a defense

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Imagine a world in which the selection committee bases seeding on results instead of the name on the uniform.
Virginia with a net rank of 54 is in, Indiana State at #29 is out, and Jay Bilas' first example of a snub is an ACC team being out. (Pitt)

Nebraska finished two games ahead of Wisconsin in conference, better overall record, and split their two games. Wisky is a 5, Nebraska is a 9!!

Northwestern also finished ahead of Wisky and is a 9, but Wiky beat them twice.

Illinois gets a 3 seed and is in with overall #1 UConn, while Creighton gets the bracket from heaven: # 1 Purdue and a #2 coached by Rick Barnes. Both serial underachievers. Creighton may make the FF without even facing them.

As for the Illini, if they don't make a Sweet 16 this year they never will. But Sweet 16 should not be your ultimate goal. They have a shot at Elite Eight.

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
How’s everyone feeling today? Seeing Illinois up to a 3seed now
Feeling great 3 seed is a good route to the sweet sixteen.

I'm pumped by the way they won the big ten tournament. Come from behind wins.
They're going in hot knowing that if they get down by double digits it's not over.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Even though Shannon was going crazy with his scoring during the tournament, they have a lot of options on offense.

I like the make up of this lineup better and then the last few years, even though they were higher seeds at sometimes. Interior defense will be a problem, but other than that it should be fun.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The annual Who Got Snubbed debate points to Indiana State as they get passed over for ACC darling Virginia.

So we get no Cream Abdul Jabbar in the Big Dance. Best nickname in the game stays home.

But on the plus side, they also left out St. John’s so we don’t have to suffer watching Rick Pitino in the tourney. Thank you, committee!

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How’s everyone feeling today? Seeing Illinois up to a 3seed now

@Urblock
@TL1961
@ytsejam
@Raskolnikov
@wonky73

Underwood finally has an offense.

Basically, he got lucky with Hawkins/Shannon who were always borderline one and dones coming out of high school, for whatever reason they kept getting late first or second round NBA evaluations.

Then you finally solved outside shooting that can defend finding Goode and Domask.

Rodgers and Dainja are actually underused for how good and effective they are.

I thought they would really miss Underwood screwing the Curbello situation, but finding their way through the lack of point guard has actually developed Goode/Hawkins/Shannon to attack the way they should.

It would have been easier the last two years with Curbello but now that the rest are peaking together and sharing the load and all acting like attacking points together, I think it's worth it.

There is no ceiling on this team. There may be a matchup they miss Curbello yet and lack of a true point bites them, but Goode/Domask spreads the floor much more and allows Shannon and Hawkins to take the initiative. Against most teams this is preferred.
Houston would be the team profile where you want Curbello.

Very dangerous team peaking at the right time.

I think the alpha hierarchy has sorted out with Shannon showing out in attack mode and not randomly, but during key stretches when they have needed a spark.

Hawkins is a great competitor and has gone into Pippen mode where he can still carry the team when the game dictates he do for a while or matchups ask it.

They have a Batman, a Robin, and then a variety of good to very good role players.

Defend and reduce turnovers,

I think it's about matchups for them and executing shots in big moments.

They can win it all, but no team does (except UCONN 2023) without the fate of a single bounce or single shot deciding a game along the path.

Enjoy the ride. It's possible.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Underwood finally has an offense.

Basically, he got lucky with Hawkins/Shannon who were always borderline one and dones coming out of high school, for whatever reason they kept getting late first or second round NBA evaluations.

Then you finally solved outside shooting that can defend finding Goode and Domask.

Rodgers and Dainja are actually underused for how good and effective they are.

I thought they would really miss Underwood screwing the Curbello situation, but finding their way through the lack of point guard has actually developed Goode/Hawkins/Shannon to attack the way they should.

It would have been easier the last two years with Curbello but now that the rest are peaking together and sharing the load and all acting like attacking points together, I think it's worth it.

There is no ceiling on this team. There may be a matchup they miss Curbello yet and lack of a true point bites them, but Goode/Domask spreads the floor much more and allows Shannon and Hawkins to take the initiative. Against most teams this is preferred.
Houston would be the team profile where you want Curbello.

Very dangerous team peaking at the right time.

I think the alpha hierarchy has sorted out with Shannon showing out in attack mode and not randomly, but during key stretches when they have needed a spark.

Hawkins is a great competitor and has gone into Pippen mode where he can still carry the team when the game dictates he do for a while or matchups ask it.

They have a Batman, a Robin, and then a variety of good to very good role players.

Defend and reduce turnovers,

I think it's about matchups for them and executing shots in big moments.

They can win it all, but no team does (except UCONN 2023) without the fate of a single bounce or single shot deciding a game along the path.

Enjoy the ride. It's possible.
I will enjoy the ride, and hope it includes a few wins. But their defensive efficiency rating is what puts a ceiling on their hopes.

I'd love to see them be an exception and prove that wrong.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I am not going to sweat it between now and Thursday, but no sooner did I say the Illini should be in Sweet 16 than I saw a) Morehead State has a good inside presence which lllinois struggles with, and b) Brigham Young was picked as an under seeded team that could make a run.

I won't be phased. The Illini are headed to the second weekend this year for the first time in forever.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Line opened at 12.5. Moved to 11.5 a couple of hours ago.

3:10EST tip-off

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am not going to sweat it between now and Thursday, but no sooner did I say the Illini should be in Sweet 16 than I saw a) Morehead State has a good inside presence which lllinois struggles with, and b) Brigham Young was picked as an under seeded team that could make a run.

I won't be phased. The Illini are headed to the second weekend this year for the first time in forever.
Dainja and Rogers are ready to support Hawkins. Team help getting better.

Gotta make shots.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Im really intrigued by the Mississippi State vs Michigan State game. I’m gonna go with MSU to win that one.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Go Bulldogs!
I’m in the south. Now I have to hear these assholes talk about how the south is now superior to everyone in basketball too (yes really). Saturdaysdownsouth.com posted their fucking bracket and the final 4 was all southern teams(not all sec but 2 sec teams). Just won’t root for Michigan.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Shannon made 3rd team All American

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
CBS writer last week had him first team
Yes but that’s one writer. The AP All-American Team is the culmination of all votes. He should have been at least 2nd team.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yes but that’s one writer. The AP All-American Team is the culmination of all votes. He should have been at least 2nd team.
Oh, I know. Just pointing out I thought he’d be higher.

Without looking, I will guess Hunter Dickinson took a spot? Seems like a birthright rather than something earned.