Illini BB

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What a gutty fucking win with some horrid player decisions by Illinois(at times) & abysmal FT shooting…: but the refs were atrocious. Iowa St should have had many more fouls if you ask me.

The announcers were stupid too… they said that Bill Self was the HC in 2005. And then couldn’t do simple math several times during the game when they were trying to add the missed FT’s to the score.
Part of the strategy of a team like that is that the refs will stop calling eventually because they feel it’s unfair to you.

So if you follow 100 times they won’t call you 100 times because they feel they have to even it out.

It was the same strategy Belichick used in the Super Bowl way back against the greatest on turf rams.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Correction - not that it is important (thanks to Bama’s link)- #5 Illinois beat #4 Cincy, and won a 9 vs 8. This the third time they beat a higher seed.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I feel like I should put a lot of money on UConn, and then I would feel like I win either way, but just about the time I do that Illinois would cover and still lose.

I am also in Illinois, so I can’t bet on the Illini anyway, which is probably good

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Part of the strategy of a team like that is that the refs will stop calling eventually because they feel it’s unfair to you.

So if you follow 100 times they won’t call you 100 times because they feel they have to even it out.

It was the same strategy Belichick used in the Super Bowl way back against the greatest on turf rams.
Good point, still sucks though lol.

Someone please tell Dainja to never try and bring the ball up the court/play finesse. Dainja is going to be a big factor if he can neutralize Clingon — 7’2, 280.
Might not be an awful idea to start Dainja. He averages 12.8, 7.4 for the year. He opens up UCONN’s offense but doesn’t play as big as he could though.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I will add, that Iowa states defense is really really good. They held Houston to 40 points in the big 12 conference tournament final. Illinois came down many times tonight and it just looked like there was nowhere to go with the ball and they still ended up with 72.

No reason to believe Illinois can’t put up 80+ on UConn, but can they stop UConn’s offense?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Good point, still sucks though lol.

Someone please tell Dainja to never try and bring the ball up the court/play finesse. Dainja is going to be a big factor if he can neutralize Clingon — 7’2, 280.
Might not be an awful idea to start Dainja. He averages 12.8, 7.4 for the year. He opens up UCONN’s offense but doesn’t play as big as he could though.
You were not a fan of the mid-court behind the back dribble?

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I feel like I should put a lot of money on UConn, and then I would feel like I win either way, but just about the time I do that Illinois would cover and still lose.

I am also in Illinois, so I can’t bet on the Illini anyway, which is probably good
Never bet on your team. I only do it when Notre Dame is in a big game (football) because they are a guarantee to get blown out. I grew up when Lou had ND #1 and Lou had Illinois #1. I’ll never root for ND basketball because I hate Digger Phelps, he has one of the most punchable faces in all of sports.

I’m pretty sure UCONN wins but this offense doesn’t misfire 2games in a row. So maybe a punchers chance?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Never bet on your team. I only do it when Notre Dame is in a big game (football) because they are a guarantee to get blown out. I grew up when Lou had ND #1 and Lou had Illinois #1. I’ll never root for ND basketball because I hate Digger Phelps, he has one of the most punchable faces in all of sports.

I’m pretty sure UCONN wins but this offense doesn’t misfire 2games in a row. So maybe a punchers chance?
I never bet my heart. I will say that. If anything, I am more likely to bet against my team than for them. I do not fall into the trap of betting what I want to happen then again I really don’t bet much at all. I usually play parlays.

Digger Phelps is absolutely positively top five punchable faces of all time, and I would be hard-pressed to think of four people ahead of him.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I will add, that Iowa states defense is really really good. They held Houston to 40 points in the big 12 conference tournament final. Illinois came down many times tonight and it just looked like there was nowhere to go with the ball and they still ended up with 72.

No reason to believe Illinois can’t put up 80+ on UConn, but can they stop UConn’s offense?
Just think they should have put up 80 on Iowa State. Best way to beat them is in a high scoring affair. Play to Illinois’s strengths instead of playing to UCONN’s game.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Just think they should have put up 80 on Iowa State. Best way to beat them is in a high scoring affair. Play to Illinois’s strengths instead of playing to UCONN’s game.
I see that UConn is the only team that is in the top 8 in both offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency. But just a week ago, we were also hearing that Auburn was one of the few teams that was in top 10 in both, and they lost to a 13 in their first game.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I never bet my heart. I will say that. If anything, I am more likely to bet against my team than for them. I do not fall into the trap of betting what I want to happen then again I really don’t bet much at all. I usually play parlays.

Digger Phelps is absolutely positively top five punchable faces of all time, and I would be hard-pressed to think of four people ahead of him.
I don’t even want to punch Bobby Knight or Bruce Pearl more. Maybe Cade McNown, OJ Simpson. I’m sure I’m missing more.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I see that UConn is the only team that is in the top 8 in both offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency. But just a week ago, we were also hearing that Auburn was one of the few teams that was in top 10 in both, and they lost to a 13 in their first game.
True but one of their best players made one of the stupidest retaliations ever in the 3rd minute of the game. I’ll actually be at Jordan Hare Stadium next week for their A Game(spring scrimmage), maybe I’ll run into Bruce Pearl again.

On another note, I’m watching the new Roadhouse getting hammered and the main villain rode my school bus 20+ years ago. lol guess he has done well.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
True but one of their best players made one of the stupidest retaliations ever in the 3rd minute of the game. I’ll actually be at Jordan Hare Stadium next week for their A Game(spring scrimmage), maybe I’ll run into Bruce Pearl again.

On another note, I’m watching the new Roadhouse getting hammered and the main villain rode my school bus 20+ years ago. lol guess he has done well.
I found him underwhelming as a young Paulie Walnuts in ‘Many Saints of Newark’

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The flipside of this, of course is, if Illinois allowed 69 points to an Iowa State team that had 12 after the first 13 minutes, UConn might score 120. 😳

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Roadhouse was the worst movie ever made, and someone decided to try to outdo it. And based on what little previews I have seen, which include a flying speedboat, they may have accomplished it.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I found him underwhelming as a young Paulie Walnuts in ‘Many Saints of Newark’
He was great in the last Bond movie. That Sopranos prequel was fucking terrible on all levels.

Kid is about 5 or 6years younger than me, but back around 2000, he had to endure the worst situation ever. His family thought his mom was a personal trainer in Buckhead(fancy area in Atlanta) but it turns out she was a dancer at a seedy strip club called the Gold Club. Long story short, a mob was running it and she had to take the stand when they were under investigation and basically admit she was turning tricks on many celebrities/athletes/polticians—like Patrick Ewing, Dominique Wilson, etc.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He was great in the last Bond movie. That Sopranos prequel was fucking terrible on all levels.

Kid is about 5 or 6years younger than me, but back around 2000, he had to endure the worst situation ever. His family thought his mom was a personal trainer in Buckhead(fancy area in Atlanta) but it turns out she was a dancer at a seedy strip club called the Gold Club. Long story short, a mob was running it and she had to take the stand when they were under investigation and basically admit she was turning tricks on many celebrities/athletes/polticians—like Patrick Ewing, Dominique Wilson, etc.
Damn had no idea but agree re: the sequel

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Damn had no idea but agree re: the sequel
Sad thing is when the game got close as the end, I was holding onto our recently adopted cat Stella in the last minute. Good luck cat! Dogs were jealous though.

Serious question, is Terrence Shannon on a Glen Rice-esque run? Rice still holds the record for most points scored in a tournament with 184pts. He just needs 100 over the next 3 games lol.

Also, Glen Rice probably has the most punchable face ever. I still can’t get over 1989 and couldn’t imagine actually being at that game @TL1961