CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yes let's completely ignore the results on the prior seasons and focus solely on this year? We'll just have to agree to disagree.
We can disagree. You crowned Beard's ass. It remains to be seen if he can maintain his program at the level he achieved quickly. Did you really think Underwood would have success with Tilmon, Mark Smith, Puff puff point guard, etc.? Yikes. All situations are not the same.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If the question is "would I rather have Chris Beard than Underwood?" the answer is definitely yes. Not sure why that is a question though because it isn't happening.

Year three was always the year to turn the corner imo and he's done that pretty well. It wouldn't surprise me if they won a game or two in the tourney this year. Ayo is likely to be the best player on the floor in a lot of games, he's also become an elite closer, and defense in the Big10 is just better than in most other leagues.

I think with next year's recruiting class, Kofi almost certainly staying (his NBA-level game has been exposed) and the progression of Griff and likely depth, the future looks pretty good.

I certainly hope so. Getting repetitive watching the offense watch Ayo do something with the ball, Kofi getting pushed around by other big men and Giorgii missing outside shots.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We can disagree. You crowned Beard's ass. It remains to be seen if he can maintain his program at the level he achieved quickly. Did you really think Underwood would have success with Tilmon, Mark Smith, Puff puff point guard, etc.? Yikes. All situations are not the same.

that's a fair point, one can look at people like Mike Davis at IU or Kevin Ollie at UCONN or even our very own Bruce Weber.
No point in arguing it, could only look at this a few years from now---in which case, I hope you are 100% correct.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

Well, in fairness, you constantly praise Wood and Wood has achieved much less in his time here than Beard has at TT. If you want to keep grading on a curve by saying Wood had nothing, that's your choice. But grading on a curve is sort of a loser's mentality. I grade based on the results that I see, not "oh if only he had this and this, he could have done this." No no no.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Well, in fairness, you constantly praise Wood and Wood has achieved much less in his time here than Beard has at TT. If you want to keep grading on a curve by saying Wood had nothing, that's your choice. But grading on a curve is sort of a loser's mentality. I grade based on the results that I see, not "oh if only he had this and this, he could have done this." No no no.
I don't constantly praise "wood". I know he isn't getting fired. I know the abyss the program was in thanks first to Weber and then AD Thomas and Groce. Weber never capitalized on the Championship game run. Underwood has turned the program. The recruiting is starting to flow. They've been ranked. They've beaten teams they haven't beaten since before "wood" showed up. The constant drone from a few posters of getting rid of "wood" for someone else is simply bullshit. Period. Oh, BTW, "Wood" can coach. That FS1 broadcast put a spotlight on "wood" and Chambers. "Wood" can coach.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Mark Emmert will be at my work on Friday, April 3rd. Lol, wish I could give him an earful

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
So I guess the hot rumor is Whitman isn't going to keep Antigua.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So I guess the hot rumor is Whitman isn't going to keep Antigua.
Where did this rumor come from? The demotion/promotion of Walker and both Walker and Antigua getting told to take compliancy testing? Add in that OA hasn't had his contract renewed?

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope that's not true. Antigua has been involved in some really good recruits. He's the best recruiter on the staff. I was getting worried that he might get snatched up by a bigger program.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
I hope that's not true. Antigua has been involved in some really good recruits. He's the best recruiter on the staff. I was getting worried that he might get snatched up by a bigger program.

If Illinois doesn't keep him, OA will get snatched up in a nanosecond. May even go back to UK.

Typical Illinois if true.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Where did this rumor come from? The demotion/promotion of Walker and both Walker and Antigua getting told to take compliancy testing? Add in that OA hasn't had his contract renewed?

Yes. Those are pretty telling signs.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yes. Those are pretty telling signs.
You could be right, but I would imagine big time donors like the direction of the program and OA is a huge part of that. Regardless of what happens, it's really weird that he hasn't been extended yet. Orlando is one of the best in the business.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
You could be right, but I would imagine big time donors like the direction of the program and OA is a huge part of that. Regardless of what happens, it's really weird that he hasn't been extended yet. Orlando is one of the best in the business.

OA may be just the tip of the iceberg. Wood isn't going to be very happy that his AD isn't keeping his best recruiting assistant coach.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
After Eric Gordon and countless other recruits, I never feel comfortable with these elite prospects signing with Illinois because it seems like something always happens. Wish I wasn't pessimistic about it.

Wasn't Villaneuva supposed to be an Illini player?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
After Eric Gordon and countless other recruits, I never feel comfortable with these elite prospects signing with Illinois because it seems like something always happens. Wish I wasn't pessimistic about it.

Wasn't Villaneuva supposed to be an Illini player?

Yes, but neither of those guys signed a NLI. They were just verbals. Villanueva probably would have come but Self left.

That said with the new proposed transfer rules not having Antigua could be really damaging with Curbelo and possibly Kofi.

I'm not sure what the source of the rumor is but there was a short thread on it on the UI scout site. Haven't heard much.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yes, but neither of those guys signed a NLI. They were just verbals. Villanueva probably would have come but Self left.

That said with the new proposed transfer rules not having Antigua could be really damaging with Curbelo and possibly Kofi.

I'm not sure what the source of the rumor is but there was a short thread on it on the UI scout site. Haven't heard much.

So now Illini might lose players that have signed their NLI? Fuck

dennehy

Liked Posts:
So now Illini might lose players that have signed their NLI? Fuck

Sounds like student athletes in basketball will be allowed one free transfer without having to sit out if the new legislation passes. Not sure if that includes signees before they play or in season transfers though.