Is Burton worth the money?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's amazing to me how people on this board are so triggered by letting a player with one season of solid production coming off an ACL tear go to another team. Especially after Pace re-tooled the WR corps with Robinson/Gabriel/Miller.

Thats how it is with shit teams

Any spark of hope whatsoever and people fall in love with the guy while good teams discard players like Meredith every offseason. Bears fans have a long history of infatuation with mediocre to bad WRs.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do people assume that Pace pulled that number out of his butt and just threw it on the table?

Or do they understand that a number of competing offers likely set the market?

27%2BMike%2BGlennon%2Breaction%2Bsideline.gif

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thats how it is with shit teams

Any spark of hope whatsoever and people fall in love with the guy while good teams discard players like Meredith every offseason. Bears fans have a long history of infatuation with mediocre to bad WRs.

In their defense mediocre to bad receivers are mostly what Bears fans have had to watch with a couple obvious exceptions. So can you really blame people for falling for a guy like Cam?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't think I'll ever get to say this enough, but people need to remember that this is not going to be a photocopy of Andy Reid's offense in KC. Obviously it will be influenced by that, but it will be Nagy's own playbook with plenty of input from Helfrich. It seems like almost everyone is assuming that he's just going to run the KC offense in Chicago. That won't be the case.

“The very first conversation we had involved how much he values the ‘U’ tight end, how productive the offense can be for those guys,"
Pace told Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer.

Bear Pride is dead on target that it's an important position. And I don't see where he said it was going to be a KC photocopy either?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Don't contradict me in public.

napo55

Liked Posts:
You act like Cam is a super star stud WR ready to take the league by storm. Apparently Nagy/Pace did not place that much value on what Cam brought to the table. He is at best a WR2 in the NFL and more realistically a WR3 with some upside. There are only so many touches to go around and I'm sure the Bears looked at how Cam would be used in the offense and decided it wasn't a great fit.

No sense arguing for the point of arguing. My point is simply that we don't know how Robinson will recover and how productive two previously minimally productive players like Gabriel and Burton will be. Meredith could have been retained for a fraction of the cost of those two, meaning they could have been acquired and Meredith could have been retained. Worst case scenario: the teams has too many good receivers and they can trade one for draft choices. More likely: there are additional injuries or some of the new WRs don't pan out, so hopefully either Robinson or Meredith make a full recovery. (At the moment, it looks like Meredith is making the quicker recovery, but time will tell.)

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
I do not mean this to be a sarcastic post. I just want to follow the discussion. Who is OP? Once again, no sarcasm intended.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I do not mean this to be a sarcastic post. I just want to follow the discussion. Who is OP? Once again, no sarcasm intended.

Original poster. The person who started the thread.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
Thank you, bearmick.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am also not sure I agree with Gabriel being a gimmick player.

The last 2 season he has caught 67.5% of his passes, he just gets 50 targets as the #3 in that offense. for about 14 YPC.

If he was a deep gimmick he would have a much lower catch % and a higher YPC.

When 12-15 of your 33 receptions are on screen passes behind the line of scrimmage, you’ll probably end up with a decent catch rate.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
wait what the fuck? I thought it was Optimus Prime this entire time.

It's both as I am Optimus Prime. No wait that was last week. This week I am king of the world. And I think we overpaid for Burton and Gabriel while losing a much better player in Cam. I also am tired of hearing people say others over value Cam. I don't think anyone does. He was a fine young cheap WR and nothing special. Because he has value does not mean he was over valued. He was valued just about right on this board and less with the coaches. Coaches are wrong as much as any poster on any message board. Cam will have a better career then Gab or Burton.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
When 12-15 of your 33 receptions are on screen passes, you’ll probably end up with a decent catch rate.

When speed is your only asset and you get so few thrown your way that defenses forget you're on the field it adds up to gimmick role player IMO.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do not think they are counting on him to be a#2.

They are paying him to be a #3.

Gabriel is here to be a deep threat, which means he does not need to catch 75 passes to earn his money and be worth it.

Lolwut??? Gabriel is the 30th highest paid WR in the league going into this season. Gabriel makes the same money as his former teammate, #2 WR in Atlanta, Mohamed Sanu. Gabriel got a better deal this year than Marquis Goodwin, the 49ers #1 WR! Goodwin played like an all pro WR with Jimmy Godroppolo.

Last edited:

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No sense arguing for the point of arguing. My point is simply that we don't know how Robinson will recover and how productive two previously minimally productive players like Gabriel and Burton will be. Meredith could have been retained for a fraction of the cost of those two, meaning they could have been acquired and Meredith could have been retained. Worst case scenario: the teams has too many good receivers and they can trade one for draft choices. More likely: there are additional injuries or some of the new WRs don't pan out, so hopefully either Robinson or Meredith make a full recovery. (At the moment, it looks like Meredith is making the quicker recovery, but time will tell.)

If there is no point, why do you keep repeating the same shit in every fucking thread