CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Welcome to the 1970's when people thought the top RBI guy needs to always hit 4th.
If Triple Crown stats mattered, there wouldn't still be a significant number of people bitching that Trout got hosed out of a MVP award by Cabrera.

Best hitter is in the 3 hole and latest data suggests the 2, which is why Bryant is there and Zobrist isn't. Bryant would have had better stats if Maddon had moved Heyward down in the lineup much more quickly.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Bryant is an ideal fit in the #2 spot because hits into an extraordinarily small number of double plays. That frequently gives Rizzo in the #3 spot the opportunity to hit with at least one, and many times two men on.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kris-bryant-might-be-the-best-all-around-player-in-the-nl/

This is based off his swing creating loft add to it his high % of SO and BB. Heyward is in a funk this year and needed to be moved down.

I'll disagree with you on this. It is based on RBI opertunites. Bryant is clearly the best hitter on the team and he should be driving guys in with his production vs being a run driven in.

Last year with Russell hitting 9th it worked.

I believe the reason why Bryant is hitting #2 is just because Maddon likes a L/R/L at the top. When Heyward failed he pushed Bryant and Rizzo up 1. Fowler was out and the lead off was Zobrist. Before Fowler's injury it was Fowler, Heyward, Bryant, Rizzo, Zobrist, Soler, Montero, Russell

So Bryant hitting #2 is more of a result if the injuries and the chips falling where they did. As long as Madden gets his L/R/L he is content.

I think you are over thinking about some theories and not looking at it as people adjusting to change.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Who the fuck cares about RBI's? It's a stat that talks about opportunity more than it talks about actual ability.

Here is Bryant's numbers in the #2 spot vs the #3 spot adjust for 162 games

.335/.430/.600
41 HR / 38 2B / 3 3B / 92 RBI

.276/.334/.565
47 HR / 39 2B / 0 3B / 130 RBI

Now it's important to remember that numerous things are different in those splits (i.e the #2 splits also are most recent and since the ASB) but clearly the #2 hitter is a vastly superior hitter in every way and the only thing #3 has is slightly more HR but he is a worse hitter.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
By the way, would anyone be surpirsed next year if Bryant hits third behind Schwarber and Rizzo then fifth?

Zobrist
Schwarber
Bryant
Rizzo
Russell

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
By the way, would anyone be surpirsed next year if Bryant hits third behind Schwarber and Rizzo then fifth?

Zobrist
Schwarber
Bryant
Rizzo
Russell

No but I'll bet you that Heyward gets first crack it depending on what kind of spring he has.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No but I'll bet you that Heyward gets first crack it depending on what kind of spring he has.

To tell you the truth, I could see Schwarber as a lead off man. Joe does not care about stealing bases. He wants his best OBP guys up top. I think he loves Bryant in the two hole and Bryant has responded in every way. Schwarber is not a base clogger unless he cant run after this injury which I doubt. Its something to monitor.

DanTown

Liked Posts:

I think next year is a very flexible year but it would not shock me if the Cubs went back to the pitcher batting eighth and starting Almora 9 and then rolling over to Bryant in the two hole against lefties. Something like

Zobrist
Bryant
Rizzo
Baez
Soler
Russell
Contreras
P
Almora

I think one of the great things about the Cubs is that they really don't have a "lineup".

DanTown

Liked Posts:
To tell you the truth, I could see Schwarber as a lead off man. Joe does not care about stealing bases. He wants his best OBP guys up top. I think he loves Bryant in the two hole and Bryant has responded in every way. Schwarber is not a base clogger unless he cant run after this injury which I doubt. Its something to monitor.

The only reason I don't see him doing that is I imagine he's going to want to have the flexibility to take Schwarber out of the game defensively and not worry about the leadoff spot in the order.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Zobrist
Schwarber
Bryant
Rizzo
Russell

Putting Bryant & Schwarber back to back is lining up quite a lot of swing & miss, and I would avoid it. Regardless, there are too many unknowns to put together speculative lineups at this point.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
Bryant is number one on most people's MVP ballot right now. He's hitting .300 and slashing like .412 and .570 !!

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
This is based off his swing creating loft add to it his high % of SO and BB. Heyward is in a funk this year and needed to be moved down.

I'll disagree with you on this. It is based on RBI opertunites. Bryant is clearly the best hitter on the team and he should be driving guys in with his production vs being a run driven in.

Last year with Russell hitting 9th it worked.

I believe the reason why Bryant is hitting #2 is just because Maddon likes a L/R/L at the top. When Heyward failed he pushed Bryant and Rizzo up 1. Fowler was out and the lead off was Zobrist. Before Fowler's injury it was Fowler, Heyward, Bryant, Rizzo, Zobrist, Soler, Montero, Russell

So Bryant hitting #2 is more of a result if the injuries and the chips falling where they did. As long as Madden gets his L/R/L he is content.

I think you are over thinking about some theories and not looking at it as people adjusting to change.

Bryant is clearly not the best hitter on the team. Rizzo is still the better hitter, all things considered.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The only reason I don't see him doing that is I imagine he's going to want to have the flexibility to take Schwarber out of the game defensively and not worry about the leadoff spot in the order.

Well, figuring that defensive replacement will be Sczcur, Almora or Baez, you still have a leadoff guy, otherwise, you put the pitcher in that spot and Bryant is leading off.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Bryant is number one on most people's MVP ballot right now. He's hitting .300 and slashing like .412 and .570 !!

First in fWAR in the NL at 6.8 second in MLB only trailing Mike Trout at 7.1. There's a lot of baseball left to play but unless there's a significant slump he's gotta be the favorite.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
First in fWAR in the NL at 6.8 second in MLB only trailing Mike Trout at 7.1. There's a lot of baseball left to play but unless there's a significant slump he's gotta be the favorite.

Unless voters dig into the numbers and put Rizzo first.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Who the fuck cares about RBI's? It's a stat that talks about opportunity more than it talks about actual ability.

Here is Bryant's numbers in the #2 spot vs the #3 spot adjust for 162 games

.335/.430/.600
41 HR / 38 2B / 3 3B / 92 RBI

.276/.334/.565
47 HR / 39 2B / 0 3B / 130 RBI

Now it's important to remember that numerous things are different in those splits (i.e the #2 splits also are most recent and since the ASB) but clearly the #2 hitter is a vastly superior hitter in every way and the only thing #3 has is slightly more HR but he is a worse hitter.

This is almost silly. We are talking the same guy. All they did is bump him up one thus getting more AB's. You are not accounting that he is just improving as a hitter.

The idea that a hitter hitting in any position will change his outcome is idiotic.

The only change is more AB's. (Good). Less RBI chances. (Bad)

Now if they had a 9 hitter with a strong OBA then you play that game. More AB's to you best and then feed them.

Not going Almora just because I see him as a 4th OF.

Fowler I would extend at this point. .400 OPS lead off you have to hold onto.

Fowler
Bryant
Rizzo
Schwarber or Soler in left
Russell. Just because he is doing what he is.
Heyward. Yes they are going to play him at 20 per.
Contreras or Montero.
Pitcher
Zobrist.

Baez and Almora used for days off.

Makes the most sense if you want to maxamize run production.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
This is almost silly. We are talking the same guy. All they did is bump him up one thus getting more AB's. You are not accounting that he is just improving as a hitter.

The idea that a hitter hitting in any position will change his outcome is idiotic.

The only change is more AB's. (Good). Less RBI chances. (Bad)

Now if they had a 9 hitter with a strong OBA then you play that game. More AB's to you best and then feed them.

Not going Almora just because I see him as a 4th OF.

Fowler I would extend at this point. .400 OPS lead off you have to hold onto.

Fowler
Bryant
Rizzo
Schwarber or Soler in left
Russell. Just because he is doing what he is.
Heyward. Yes they are going to play him at 20 per.
Contreras or Montero.
Pitcher
Zobrist.

Baez and Almora used for days off.

Makes the most sense if you want to maxamize run production.

There is almost no chance Fowler comes back next year. This is wish thinking.