IST: Chicago Cubs (25-35) at Pittsburgh Pirates (29-33) (June 9-June 12)

How many games do the Cubs win?

• Cubs Sweep!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cubs win 4 (Go Team Meatball!)

• Cubs win 1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
This is the dumbest argument on the boards right now. Worse than everything in the bears forum. Pure stupidity. Stop.

Sent from my phone...in my pocket...with my mind.

You know what else is dumb?

The most losses in a 3 season stretch in franchise history being dubbed as "progress" towards "sustained success"

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
You know what else is dumb?

The most losses in a 3 season stretch in franchise history being dubbed as "progress" towards "sustained success"

Can we just agree that the front office has not done everything possible to win in the short term but isn't hoping that they lose forever either or do we have to rehash this stupid "plan" pissing contest again?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Rizzo ate his wheaties.... 2 run bomb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
X,
Honestly what makes you think the team cares about winning now? I mean they aren't even moving guys that clearly have outclassed their current level (See Bryant)

Yeah, let's move Bryant up now... then in 2017 when he hits Super 2 status we can look back and say "Man, that was worth it."

Let's become buyers at the deadline and try do all we can to win this year. Let's forget about the plan that we've been working on for years. Let's throw it all out the door so we can salvage this season. It's all about winning this year, right?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Can we just agree that the front office has not done everything possible to win in the short term but isn't hoping that they lose forever either or do we have to rehash this stupid "plan" pissing contest again?
They've done nothing for success this year and frankly the dragging of heels on Shark one way or another isn't doing anything to sustain success.

Yeah, let's move Bryant up now... then in 2017 when he hits Super 2 status we can look back and say "Man, that was worth it."

Let's become buyers at the deadline and try do all we can to win this year. Let's forget about the plan that we've been working on for years. Let's throw it all out the door so we can salvage this season. It's all about winning this year, right?
Bryant probably isn't ready now, so the point is mute.

That said, if the biggest worry for the parent club is whether or not the #1 pick from 2013 is playing AA or AAA ball is sad in of itself.

Reactions: X

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

1) super two is dumb to worry about
2) nice strawman you built there

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
1) super two is dumb to worry about
2) nice strawman you built there

Exactly. For a team in the third largest market in baseball, financial details about prospects shouldn't matter at all.

If Bryant is ready (which he isn't) he should be up in Wrigley.

Baez might be, and frankly he shouldn't be held back either.

Play the best 25 players in the organization right now, finances shouldn't matter at all in that aspect.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Exactly. For a team in the third largest market in baseball, financial details about prospects shouldn't matter at all.

If Bryant is ready (which he isn't) he should be up in Wrigley.

Baez might be, and frankly he shouldn't be held back either.

Play the best 25 players in the organization right now, finances shouldn't matter at all in that aspect.

At least move Bryant to triple A

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Mike Olt is bad. All he had to do was put the ball in play to the outfield.....

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow. Barney

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

While I can agree with some of what you're saying, this is just wrong. The Yankees were the largest market in baseball and they couldn't afford to keep Cano who was one of their guys. Whether people recognize it or not, this sort of financial stuff does matter. I'll be the first to say super two is Special person because it hurts the player and it hurts teams. But, it is a major thing.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
While I can agree with some of what you're saying, this is just wrong. The Yankees were the largest market in baseball and they couldn't afford to keep Cano who was one of their guys. Whether people recognize it or not, this sort of financial stuff does matter. I'll be the first to say super two is Special person because it hurts the player and it hurts teams. But, it is a major thing.

Bringing up Kris Bryant is apples to Cano's oranges. If Bryant is an elite player, he should get paid accordingly by the Cubs, not by another team. Keeping him or any other prospect down to save money isn't a way to run a successful baseball team. It's a great way to save money and run a business.

If the Ricketts don't have money to keep top prospects, this thing Theo is building has zero chance of working anyways.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Tied.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Luis V!

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
This is the dumbest argument on the boards right now. Worse than everything in the bears forum. Pure stupidity. Stop.

Sent from my phone...in my pocket...with my mind.

Having a longer-term picture in terms of clocks and salaries and what not in a losing season is one thing. Saying the front office is glad they are losing is completely different. Asinine, even.

It's not asinine.
The FO has made it very clear that in a "losing season" you might as well crap out for the better draft pick.
What is asinine is trying to defend what they said and not admitting that this was already determined to be a "losing season".

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marte with a little Castro in him on that play. lol

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Bringing up Kris Bryant is apples to Cano's oranges. If Bryant is an elite player, he should get paid accordingly by the Cubs, not by another team. Keeping him or any other prospect down to save money isn't a way to run a successful baseball team. It's a great way to save money and run a business.

If the Ricketts don't have money to keep top prospects, this thing Theo is building has zero chance of working anyways.

It's not apples to oranges. If Bryant hits super 2 status that means he gets an extra year of arbitration. An extra year of arbitration means his second year(normally year one) is more expensive. That means subsequent years are more expensive. All of those things mean that signing him to a pre-FA extension will be more expensive. Bryant being more expensive means less money to spend on other players. Its a cascade effect.

If you're in the hunt for a championship and someone like Bryant is what you need to go over the top, fine. But, we're clearly not in that situation.