IST: Chicago Cubs (5-3) hosting San Diego Padres (6-4)

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Can someone explain the logic behind Alcantara off the bench? I realize the guy is struggling(.080/.233/.080) but what's the logic behind avoiding throwing away PAs with Alcantara only to throw away PAs on Herrera(.182/.217/.182)? I mean Alcantara is 23 and may have a future and Herrera is 30 and has been a career replacement level guy. Only thing I can think of is that since they are going with a short bench Alcantara offers more in terms of a sub because he can play OF plus most of the IF, switch hits and runs well. I just don't see how you're realistically going to work through those hitting issues as a young guy seeing 1 or 2 PAs a game. Feel like he needs to start be it in the majors or at AAA.
Maddon needs to readjust his whole bench and that starts with getting rid of Ross. ...

Lake needs to be brought up...

Ill bet Alcantara goes down when La Stella returns or we just may see Russell sooner rather then later..

The bench is a mess and i said back before ST started that it was weak ...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Must really suck being at game today...
Not only watching them not hit and lose but sitting in the rain and cold.... baseball in April

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ill bet Alcantara goes down when La Stella returns or we just may see Russell sooner rather then later..

I mean... maybe but I'm not entirely sure why you'd keep Herrera over Alcantara.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Lake is an enigma. He does not seem to have a clue how to actually play the game. But if you need a guy off the bench in late innings, he has speed and power. He may strike out most times, but has a chance to hit one out vs. Ross, Denofria, LaStella, etc.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
And we live to see one more at-bat.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Get one more baserunner so Georgie can bat.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
And don't look now.... tying run at the plate. Smart play there by Fowler, very tough play for the catcher to make.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Benoit taking an eternity between pitches.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Lake is an enigma. He does not seem to have a clue how to actually play the game. But if you need a guy off the bench in late innings, he has speed and power. He may strike out most times, but has a chance to hit one out vs. Ross, Denofria, LaStella, etc.

Lake also isn't exactly lighting up AAA. He's hitting .241/.267/.276 with a 3.3%/26.7% bb/k rate. The obvious guy would just to be recall Szczur. Not many others are really crushing AAA right now and I'd imagine they slow roll Russell.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rookie swinging strike there. Soler needed to relax and it seemed like he was swinging no matter what

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Rookie swinging strike there. Soler needed to relax and it seemed like he was swinging no matter what

Hard to lay off that pitch with there being 13 MPH between Benoit's fastball and changeup. Still, if that 2-0 swing was any indication from Soler, he was intent on hitting one out instead of just putting the ball in play and extending the game.

Ahhhh, young mistakes <3

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Tough 7 game trip coming up with pirates and reds, ill be ok with 4 wins.. split with pirates and 2 from reds...

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not gonna lie...Lester's start does kind of worry me after the "dead arm" or whatever it was in spring training. Oh well, we'll see again in 5 days.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Last I checked, this is a game thread forum and Lester pitched today. And I was commenting on another bad performance of his. This is the perfect place to do it.

I agree it makes sense to put it in the game thread. I just see no reason to post that he sucks repeatedly. We get it. You don't like him.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Changeups owned the Cubs offense today.