IST:Cubs at Reds

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Too bad we can't play in Cincy every day...

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Arrieta and Hammel need to have an Abe Lincoln lookalike contest.

I think it should be mandatory that Lester, Lackey, and Hendricks grow similar beards. Hammel's ERA is now actually lower than Jake's.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I just don't see the problem some people have with Bryant's defense. Ok, he'll never be Brooks Robinson but he covers up his lack of range a bit by having a very long reach and a strong, accurate arm. I think he's fine there. Look, you're not gonna get a Gold Glover at every position...although the Cubs have a shot to have three with Rizzo, Russell and Heyward.

I know this is going to sound like a troll comment, but I think this is where Maddon makes a mistake.

Bryant should be the everyday 3b. You gave all the reasons for it. Not everyone has to be Ben Zobrist.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I know this is going to sound like a troll comment, but I think this is where Maddon makes a mistake.

Bryant should be the everyday 3b. You gave all the reasons for it. Not everyone has to be Ben Zobrist.

It really doesn't matter. Bryant is good enough at both spots and it puts Baez's bat out there more. They also need to get AB's for LaStella now.

This is not a bad problem at all and Maddon excelles at rotating playing time

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

I might have a agreed with you once but in watching Maddon over the years, first in Tampa Bay now here, I really like how he treats his guys like baseball players not necessarily defined by position. Now, I think there are some guys you don't move and you don't see Maddon moving Russell or Rizzo, albeit for different reasons. SS is a continuity position, you don't want to mess up a guy's timing playing him somewhere else. Rizzo probably could have been a OF but he's settled in at 1B so why mess with him? The other guys I don't see harm. Bryant is a natural player almost wherever he plays even equating himself reasonably well in Cf a few times last year. He's played enough OF to be actually fairly good at it and can be an improvement defensively over Soler in that spot. If Baez had played more OF in his life maybe you put him there, but they've given him a look there in ST and in AAA and they elect to go Bryant with Baez at 3B. It improves both spots defensively and is a viable option twice, maybe three times in a week where the matchups dictate it. I think Bryant is a third baseman and ultimately will make most of his starts there, Baez has yet to settle in but has shown to be effective all over the infield. I said a couple of days ago that the Bryant in LF and Baez at 3B was something we'd see a lot of and I think we will, but I think it's wrong to think it's moving Bryant off his position. He's a ballplayer.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just don't see the problem some people have with Bryant's defense. Ok, he'll never be Brooks Robinson but he covers up his lack of range a bit by having a very long reach and a strong, accurate arm. I think he's fine there. Look, you're not gonna get a Gold Glover at every position...although the Cubs have a shot to have three with Rizzo, Russell and Heyward.

Thats actually one of his short comings at this. He has a strong arm, but he sails throws. If you notice, Rizzo has to reach up for a lot of his throws. This has been considered one of his negatives since he was in the minors. He will let balls sail.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez doesn't particularly care for third base. He rather play up the middle. He said it feels weird to him with the angles. But, Im sure he won't complain wherever he is getting playing time.

Last edited:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
LaStella had a banner day yesterday. I know it was Reds pitching, but he sure is getting the job done as a Util. That was a very good trade for the Cubs. Didn't they trade Vizcaino for him?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I might have a agreed with you once but in watching Maddon over the years, first in Tampa Bay now here, I really like how he treats his guys like baseball players not necessarily defined by position. Now, I think there are some guys you don't move and you don't see Maddon moving Russell or Rizzo, albeit for different reasons. SS is a continuity position, you don't want to mess up a guy's timing playing him somewhere else. Rizzo probably could have been a OF but he's settled in at 1B so why mess with him? The other guys I don't see harm. Bryant is a natural player almost wherever he plays even equating himself reasonably well in Cf a few times last year. He's played enough OF to be actually fairly good at it and can be an improvement defensively over Soler in that spot. If Baez had played more OF in his life maybe you put him there, but they've given him a look there in ST and in AAA and they elect to go Bryant with Baez at 3B. It improves both spots defensively and is a viable option twice, maybe three times in a week where the matchups dictate it. I think Bryant is a third baseman and ultimately will make most of his starts there, Baez has yet to settle in but has shown to be effective all over the infield. I said a couple of days ago that the Bryant in LF and Baez at 3B was something we'd see a lot of and I think we will, but I think it's wrong to think it's moving Bryant off his position. He's a ballplayer.

I get you. I don't agree, but I get it. I think the best ball players have set positions. The exception that comes to mind is Pete Rose.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I get you. I don't agree, but I get it. I think the best ball players have set positions. The exception that comes to mind is Pete Rose.
Utility players get moved around a lot because they are fill ins. But to really become good at a position in the MLB you need to play that position almost exclusively

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Utility players get moved around a lot because they are fill ins. But to really become good at a position in the MLB you need to play that position almost exclusively
This is false. Moving around a lot takes a player out of GG contention. That's all. Maddon is challenging conventional wisdom, which has been shown to be incorrect in more than a few ways in recent years.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
This is false. Moving around a lot takes a player out of GG contention. That's all. Maddon is challenging conventional wisdom, which has been shown to be incorrect in more than a few ways in recent years.
Gotta disagree. Cant think of too many players that were equally good playing multiple positions. I know that there are a few but think those are exceptions.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Gotta disagree. Cant think of too many players that were equally good playing multiple positions. I know that there are a few but think those are exceptions.
No kidding. It hasn't been done much previously. Duh.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I agree with Omeletpants. The only exception that comes to mind is Pete Rose. All of the greats had a regular position. At times they were moved off to another regular position (See Ernie Banks) but they weren't bounced around. Madden has a super utility guy with Ben Zobrist. And let's for argument sake say Ben is exceptional. Who else has Joe done this with and succeeded?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Don't get me wrong, in many ways you are correct....actually in most ways. But Maddon has a team full of players that could start most every day and he doesn't want them getting rusty, so he rotates them in and out of the lineup. I'm sure he uses computerized stats that show who is best suited to play against certain teams/pitchers. So far the only guys you can pencil in daily are Rizzo, Bryant, Heyward and Fowler. He's got a tough job keeping everyone not only fresh but happy. If these guys want to play, they have to adapt...which they have. Other than pitchers and catchers, by the end of the year I'll bet the only guy not to play multiple positions will be Rizzo.

Would guys perform better if left at one spot....probably. But that's not an option for this team. LOL, think how it would be if Schwarber didn't get hurt.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thats actually one of his short comings at this. He has a strong arm, but he sails throws. If you notice, Rizzo has to reach up for a lot of his throws. This has been considered one of his negatives since he was in the minors. He will let balls sail.

Is there any third baseman who doesn't? I've seen Ron Santo airmail throws into the stands a few times and he won a few Gold Gloves. It happens.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I agree with Omeletpants. The only exception that comes to mind is Pete Rose. All of the greats had a regular position. At times they were moved off to another regular position (See Ernie Banks) but they weren't bounced around. Madden has a super utility guy with Ben Zobrist. And let's for argument sake say Ben is exceptional. Who else has Joe done this with and succeeded?
While movimg people around like this theoretically hurts the team, the benefit of keeping everyone in the game and motivated may outweigh it

Can you imagine Leo Durocher doing anything like this. One of the reasons the Cubs lost in 1969 was that he never gave anyone a day off. He beat them into the ground in an era when traveling was more difficult.

Santo, kessinger and Williams played almost every game. Even Fergie Jenkins started 10 more games than Clayton Kershaw

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
While movimg people around like this theoretically hurts the team, the benefit of keeping everyone in the game and motivated may outweigh it

Can you imagine Leo Durocher doing anything like this. One of the reasons the Cubs lost in 1969 was that he never gave anyone a day off. He beat them into the ground in an era when traveling was more difficult.

Santo, kessinger and Williams played almost every game. Even Fergie Jenkins started 10 more games than Clayton Kershaw

Don't forget all 81 home games were day games in a very warm summer....they played far more games in the hot sun than anyone. He did rest a few guys with RF and CF never really being locked down by anyone but he damn near killed Hundley. He caught over 150 games that year....I think Williams and Santo played every game. Not exactly the smartest manager...just the one with the biggest and foulest mouth.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Don't forget all 81 home games were day games in a very warm summer....they played far more games in the hot sun than anyone. He did rest a few guys with RF and CF never really being locked down by anyone but he damn near killed Hundley. He caught over 150 games that year....I think Williams and Santo played every game. Not exactly the smartest manager...just the one with the biggest and foulest mouth.
It was just a different time and managers expected you to play every day for your $14,000

PLus Durchocher wasnt a guy that developed talent. He expected you to already be a hardened vet at 22 years old. The other thing was trust. Durocher barely trusted his starters (especially Banks) let alone the subs