IST:Cubs at Reds

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
I took this screen shot just before he threw his final pitch for the fly out to Heyward. The intensity in his eyes that last inning was amazing.

KA4xy4z.jpg

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Arrieta is pulling a Steph Curry. He added that little action and became complete, but at this point it's time to start asking "have we ever seen a run like this before?"

Zambrano for half a summer was unhittable. I was living in Vegas and road him every 5 days. Arrieta has gotten there, I think early season has scared people and kept lines low, but I think there are only 10 aces in the league who will see Arrieta get under -200 again until he falters.

Not sure why -160 today to -195 at game time, backed by this lineup, clearly he is dialed in...

A reliever getting a start for this abomination of a Reds lineup without Votto carrying them...made no sense to me.

The Cubs yesterday started at -160? That was horrible odds placing. Outside of Kershaw, Madison, and maybe the Mets rotation, I am guessing that Jake is -175 at least against every team in the NL.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I watched the last two innings. It was great.

I would be joinging the Cubs Riot Squad if he didn't get it as the pitch before was strike three. The ump blew the call IMO.

The Chase For Seven is alive and well in this one.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Jake Arrieta's last 16 starts:

15-0
0.53 ERA
2 no hitter's

That's half a season of starts right there. If he had done that to start off a year instead of spread over two, we'd be having serious conversations about whether Arrieta could win 30 games with a sub-1.00 ERA. He is the pitching equivalent of hitting .400 right now.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Man, I will say that he is a modern marvel for this. When we traded for him, I was happy with Strop because I thought he just needed a little guidance. Arrieta I wrote off because his command was so inconsistent. Think about how crazy this is in retrospect. Remember, Arrieta was a highly touted prospect. The stuff was always there but the command was inconsistent. He comes to the Cubs. Bosio studies tape of him. A guy that the Cubs hoped would be just a 5th starter for them at this point. He notices where he is on the rubber and suggest he moves so he doesn't throw across his body anymore. Jake takes to this like white on rice and he develops the slider/cutter which is truly what makes him devastating. The best part was he always had this slider/cutter(maybe not as good) but Baltimore had an organization policy that none of there pitchers can throw cutters. No lie. It is a policy of theirs. Think about that, Jake comes to the Cubs and becomes a superstar. He doesn't get thrown into the deal. He probably sits in Baltimore maybe as a fifth starter still being inconsistent. Funny how life works. Dude is a animal.

It's a good indication that players fail just as often because of where they are rather than what they are. It's also probably a good indication that coaches like Bosio are underpaid comparatively given their impact.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It's a good indication that players fail just as often because of where they are rather than what they are. It's also probably a good indication that coaches like Bosio are underpaid comparatively given their impact.

Bosio is great, but his greatness is shown thru Hendricks and Hammels not really with Jake.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Trollin', trollin', trollin'
Brett05 keeps on trollin'
Rawhide
Yes, you got me. I'm trollin'.
wpid-2015-01-03-10-05-07.png

Jake said himself before his start last year in the playoffs on ESPN 1000 for the Waddle and Silvy show that the reason he's come into his own is that he's been left to pitch as he always has and that the pitching coaches have let him be.

Bosio is still great.

And you can keep harping on hating the truth.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Jake said himself before his start last year in the playoffs on ESPN 1000 for the Waddle and Silvy show that the reason he's come into his own is that he's been left to pitch as he always has and that the pitching coaches have let him be.

Bosio is still great.

Wrong. Bosio saw what the Orioles had done trying to change his mechanics and made sure Jake went back to his old delivery. From there it was about release points. Part of great coaching is letting a player be who he is.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Bosio is great, but his greatness is shown thru Hendricks and Hammels not really with Jake.

I don't know that I agree. Well yeah he makes those two look good. But making good players great is as important to me.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Wrong. Bosio saw what the Orioles had done trying to change his mechanics and made sure Jake went back to his old delivery. From there it was about release points. Part of great coaching is letting a player be who he is.

Whatever helps you thru

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I don't know that I agree. Well yeah he makes those two look good. But making good players great is as important to me.

I hear ya and really those guys look really good/great. We can only go off of what Jake himself has said. Everything else is wishful thinking/hearsay.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Bosio basically undid the bad coaching of the Orioles. There's really not much to dispute there. Call it letting Jake be himself or whatever you want the Cubs and Bosio saw something wrong and allowed Jake to execute the solution. Sometimes it is just that simple. Arrieta has been a different pitcher almost since day one in Chicago. Plenty of credit to go around.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I hear ya and really those guys look really good/great. We can only go off of what Jake himself has said. Everything else is wishful thinking/hearsay.

How about what Bosio, Hoyer and Theo have said? The transformation of Arrieta has been a team effort.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
How about what Bosio, Hoyer and Theo have said? The transformation of Arrieta has been a team effort.

They let Jake be Jake. That's not genius coaching. That's Jake being a prodigy. You can call Jake a liar if you wish. I am going to take Jake at his word.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Bosio is still great.

You've chosen a very strange hill to die upon today.

Arrieta credits Bosio with helping him on mental preparation and many other intangible things, which is as much a part of coaching as anything else. Believe he is also the one who recommend Arrieta move to the 3rd base side of the mound for a better angle.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/10/07/levine-chris-bosio-a-big-key-to-jake-arrietas-success/

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Ok, you're sort of parsing words to support a particular hypothesis. If the Cubs allowed Jake to be Jake then the natural opposite is that Baltimore did not. Recognizing that and correcting previous coaching mistakes is coaching whether you want to say that or not. C'mon Brett you have to know how silly denying any Bosio/Cubs input is.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
You've chosen a very strange hill to die upon today.

Arrieta credits Bosio with helping him on mental preparation and many other intangible things, which is as much a part of coaching as anything else. Believe he is also the one who recommend Arrieta move to the 3rd base side of the mound for a better angle.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/10/07/levine-chris-bosio-a-big-key-to-jake-arrietas-success/

And Bosio also wears a therapist hat. Not a bad thing at all.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Ok, you're sort of parsing words to support a particular hypothesis. If the Cubs allowed Jake to be Jake then the natural opposite is that Baltimore did not. Recognizing that and correcting previous coaching mistakes is coaching whether you want to say that or not. C'mon Brett you have to know how silly denying any Bosio/Cubs input is.

That is not coaching. I could do that. I can let Jake be Jake. That does not make me a good pitching coach which again for those that need it, Bosio is one of the best.