IST: CUBS/Boozers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I am happy with Turner's outing today, though the Brewers have been in a funk offensively. I need to see more than this to feel real comfortable, but this is a good start.

Doubront? Ditto, i guess. I was happy he did OK against the Cards, but one start does not prove a lot. But at least it was a positive start. I expected a rough outing, and he surprised me. I din't watch enough to see what kind of stuff he had, but the results were good.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I am assuming by your post that Arrieta/Hendricks are 2/3 in that scenario, correct? Also, Turner was 1st round pick. Does he not have potential to be more than 4/5?

Potential is the key word here.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cog and Valbuena have been making cases for regular play next year.

I doubt they lose much with Coghlan as the starting LF next year. He has been pretty damn good as a lead off.
Ive been back n forth with Cog...

He is what they need as far as a leadoff hitter, even as a LFer cause they have middle of order guys covered by other positions. Im just not sure if he just having a good run this year or if he legitimately found his stroke again since his rookie year.

Hate to pass up on players in off season and have him fall off again... I do like him as a 4th OFer though

Im seeing Valbuena starting year at 3B til Bryant arrival, then being a LH utility bat...

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am assuming by your post that Arrieta/Hendricks are 2/3 in that scenario, correct? Also, Turner was 1st round pick. Does he not have potential to be more than 4/5?
I'd be okay with that scenario. The jury is still out on Turner, although he looked very solid today with the one mistake being that pitch to Davis. Doubront is probably best served as a 4 or 5 anyways.
Now, with the very inexperienced team we have right now, i will have a little patience with these guys.

But i am so tired of the poor fundamental play that has us not getting a guy in from 3rd with no outs. I've been watching it forever.

Grounder and a strike out when even a pop up blows deep enough to score the run.

Frustrating!
Especially when one of the foul balls hits Jorge Fucking Soler in the leg.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
And there goes another ball....

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hendricks is more polished than Turner is right now. Turner fell out of favor due to him not having strong off speed stuff. Even now he is using a cutter as a slider and a 2 seemer running 92 MPH. Change up is rare against LH hitters. He lacks a go too SO pitch and he is really not known as a ground ball pitcher.

He would do well either picking up a split and work on being a SO guy or developing a slider with his 3/4 arm slot pitching style. overhand curve works better with top arm angles.

He is going to need a 3rd strong offering to go along with his 2 seem/cutter.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'd be okay with that scenario. The jury is still out on Turner, although he looked very solid today with the one mistake being that pitch to Davis. Doubront is probably best served as a 4 or 5 anyways.

Especially when one of the foul balls hits Jorge Fucking Soler in the leg.
Yeah, but at least it hit him in the quad, which will balance out the hamstring! :D

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Speaking of speeding up games, I think pitching changes should be limited.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Ive been back n forth with Cog...

He is what they need as far as a leadoff hitter, even as a LFer cause they have middle of order guys covered by other positions. Im just not sure if he just having a good run this year or if he legitimately found his stroke again since his rookie year.

Hate to pass up on players in off season and have him fall off again... I do like him as a 4th OFer though

Im seeing Valbuena starting year at 3B til Bryant arrival, then being a LH utility bat...

Coghlan as a 4th OF would be nice. Starting LF until call ups would be OK. But his OBP, speed and defense are below average, so I don't want to see him leading off.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I heard Kaplan interviewed Thurs night on St Louis station before Cubs came to town.

He had a story involving Turner that reflected well on Bosio and Renteria.

When he first came up, Turner was told he'd throw in the bullpen the next day. They said to be ready at 10:45. Ready to throw at 10:45, not just show up at that time and start stretching. Turner waltzed out of the clubhouse at 10:50, and Bosio jumped all over him, saying "We don't do it that way here", or something to that effect. They are trying to change the culture, which is something badly needed. Glad to see it.

Turner has potential. They know that. Hope they turn him around. Today was a good sign.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Can we get back to back? Nope, but Soler sure hustles down the line.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Bring the golf clubs with this ump.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
What im looking at with dubront and turner having a solid month here is not just that it should give them good depth for next year, it gives them possible arms to use in trades to help improve team

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Possible. But they won't have much value as trade bait. Better to hold onto the guys they hope to turn around, because trading them won't bring much. (We didn't give up much.)

I am curious to see who the PTBNL is in Doubront trade.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Possible. But they won't have much value as trade bait. Better to hold onto the guys they hope to turn around, because trading them won't bring much. (We didn't give up much.)

I am curious to see who the PTBNL is in Doubront trade.
no not for 1 on1 they won't bring anything big back but in a package . also I wasn't just meaning them to be traded...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs win.. 3 of 5 so far against cards n brewers, keep it going

Status
Not open for further replies.