IST: Cubs VS Rockies Discussion Thread

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Elite hand speed can make up for a lot. That said Baez might always be low average/high slug guy given his contact issues.
He needs the eye imo then to stick like Dunn/Thome else I can't see a Kingman sticking in today's game

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think most of Baez's swing is actually poor technique wise, at least that it was I have heard from others that are better at this than me. His bat speed is just so ridiculous it makes up for the inefficiencies in his swing.

Partly true, his swing is actually very comparable to Jose Bautista. His load is done well to generate power. He has a Nike check swing that all good hitters have. He has a little wide of a base for being only 6'0 but it doesnt affect him. Now, he could have some problem with breaking balls because when he commits, he commits. He does not rotate the knee. He just bends it which will be harder to hit breaking balls. The other problem is his front foot landing. You saw how he went down on a knee in one of his bats. He does this quite frequently. He doesnt point his foot forward. He keeps it closed which looks like he rolls his ankle. It could lead to an injury one day.

But, I would like to hear what he says because you have to know Baez swing. Dabynsky is correct that his bat speed makes up for some funkiness, but his load, swing path, and rotation are pretty awesome. Remember, Baez is only 6'0 and 195 pounds and has outrageous power. He has to generate it someway. He doesnt have the leverage a Kris Bryant does or the brute strength a Stanton has.

He has hit many homeruns like that in the minors. I will take a 414 foot opposite field homer on a supposed bad swing.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He needs the eye imo then to stick like Dunn/Thome else I can't see a Kingman sticking in today's game
Yes but when that bat is playing is up the middle competently that is special even if it is Rob Deer/Dave Kingman.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

A .250 AVG and 30 to 40 bombs a year will play any day in this league. He does walk.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
His swing has been compaired to Frank Thomas. Rear leg and all. I just say bare with it for the next year. He is more likely going to put up Olt's production right now. Destroying the mistake while striking out 50%.

To expect a easy transition is unrealistic expectations.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Actually is is disrespect to major league pitching thinking a rook could come up and wreck shop. Puig and Cespedes have played in the world stage with guys like Tanaka. We can see a easier transition with them. But a kid via the system is going to take time.

I believe Soler will adjust fast. More polished. Bryant has adjusted fast each promotion. Again more polish but his SO rate is a concern.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
His swing has been compaired to Frank Thomas. Rear leg and all. I just say bare with it for the next year. He is more likely going to put up Olt's production right now. Destroying the mistake while striking out 50%.

To expect a easy transition is unrealistic expectations.
If it is like Frank before his butt got big than he has no problem. Something doesn't jive

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Partly true, his swing is actually very comparable to Jose Bautista. His load is done well to generate power. He has a Nike check swing that all good hitters have. He has a little wide of a base for being only 6'0 but it doesnt affect him. Now, he could have some problem with breaking balls because when he commits, he commits. He does not rotate the knee. He just bends it which will be harder to hit breaking balls. The other problem is his front foot landing. You saw how he went down on a knee in one of his bats. He does this quite frequently. He doesnt point his foot forward. He keeps it closed which looks like he rolls his ankle. It could lead to an injury one day.

But, I would like to hear what he says because you have to know Baez swing. Dabynsky is correct that his bat speed makes up for some funkiness, but his load, swing path, and rotation are pretty awesome. Remember, Baez is only 6'0 and 195 pounds and has outrageous power. He has to generate it someway. He doesnt have the leverage a Kris Bryant does or the brute strength a Stanton has.

He has hit many homeruns like that in the minors. I will take a 414 foot opposite field homer on a supposed bad swing.
Don't read so much into power at Coors

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I've thought his swing looked like Thomas'. Very textbook power hitter. But if you watch the side profiles watch the rear leg at the end of the swing.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I thought about looking more closely at his HR swing and breaking it down mechanically, but it appeared that he made some adjustments on the pitch because it he was a bit late. I wouldn't worry about looking at mechanics too much until he's been up a few games and is comfortable at the MLB level. I saw some very nice swings at the MiLB level.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I've thought his swing looked like Thomas'. Very textbook power hitter. But if you watch the side profiles watch the rear leg at the end of the swing.
I just watched the homer...not Frank. Pre Swing Sheff for sure

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The swing isn't similar to Thomas. Thomas released the TH from the bat every swing. That was a Hriniak standard. Baez' hands finish changes depending upon location and often times both hands remain on the bat and finish at the left shoulder.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't read so much into power at Coors

Had nothing to do with Coors. That ball was smoked on a line and even though I know you will discredit Coors anyway. I have seen him hit that far opposite field multiple times. He has 40 plus home run power.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Look at Jose Bautista then look at Baez. Thats the most similarity I see in the majors.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
img_1914.jpg

d021d842f8220fcfcf22666f32c8c995.jpg

amd-sheffield-hit-jpg.jpg

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Shef seemed to lunge forward more. Baez leans back like Thomas did. Just swing mechanics.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shef seemed to lunge forward more. Baez leans back like Thomas did. Just swing mechanics.

Its why he is up here. They need to see his flaws to make adjustments. It will be minor stuff, but minor stuff turns a player from nothing into something.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
gary-sheffield-pinstripe-jersey-swing-horizontal-11x14-1-t4792564-170.jpg

Front foot

contorted-baez.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Again Shef had his momentum going forward. Baez leans back into the swing.

large_sheffy_hr.jpg