IST Pirates @ Cubs

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well said, although I'm with SilenceS, if Baez looks like he can help in LF I'd let him try. I would consider trading anyone not named Rizzo or Bryant for a young rotation piece right now. This idea of trading guys the team the doesn't need or want for meaningful returns is baffling. It just doesn't work that way. I've said for weeks that if this team stays in contention there will be a trade that will make some fans angry. Well guess what? It's not that early and, while there are no guarantees with a young team, they just might contend. The trade that will make some people apoplectic is coming. If you think you're one of those people I'd brace myself if I were you.

Baez has superstar potential. Just move him to LF and let his bat play out. Let's face it If Sori (who is a way worse MI) was able to make the adjustment. And Lake. And Alcantara. Why can't a more talented Baez?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Just wanted to point out people are likely forgetting Olt. The timeline on his injury was 3-4 weeks before rehab and it's been almost a month. So, he'll likely be returning in the next 2-3 weeks. His 6 game stint wasn't all that inspiring to start the year but to be fair it was only 6 games.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Just wanted to point out people are likely forgetting Olt. The timeline on his injury was 3-4 weeks before rehab and it's been almost a month. So, he'll likely be returning in the next 2-3 weeks. His 6 game stint wasn't all that inspiring to start the year but to be fair it was only 6 games.

Who Dat?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Baez has superstar potential. Just move him to LF and let his bat play out. Let's face it If Sori (who is a way worse MI) was able to make the adjustment. And Lake. And Alcantara. Why can't a more talented Baez?

He is reportedly the best SS of the three we have. I expect Russell to move there, but now read that Baez is the best we have. Why not play him at SS and let Castro move?

TL1961

Liked Posts:

None of his stints has been inspiring.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He on the 60 days DL.. his earliest return would be July if he recovers and hits well in Iowa after return. .

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Baez can't switch hit. He isn't any more talented than Alcantara.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Minors career:
Baez: .280/.338/.541 78 HR 67 SB
Alcantara: .281/.335/.437 44 HR 114 SB

Seems alike but Alcantara has 800 more AB's. You add 800 AB's to Baez and his HR's go over 100 and his SB get right around 90.

That is not even getting intro this year where Alcantara is hitting .200....

Alcantara played himself into the position he was in. He needs to prove he is that guy.

Baez was drafted to be that guy. Fell out and now is proving that he is still that guy.

As a prospect you want to force decisions. Baez is doing it Alcantara is not.

We saw this with Vitters. He played himself out of the org. BTW which McDonnalds is he working at now?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He is reportedly the best SS of the three we have. I expect Russell to move there, but now read that Baez is the best we have. Why not play him at SS and let Castro move?

I personally think he is a better 2B than a SS. He took to it very easy. Russell seems more of a natural SS vs 2B.

I believe when it is said and done Castro is traded with Russell at SS and Baez at 2B. Now the OF situation it depends if they work a contract with Fowler. He is bringing what you want in a lead off. They could push up Almora's time line and move him to CF and Fowler to LF. Trade Castro and move Baez to 2B in 2016. Almora has about the same hitting upside as Castro does with less cost tied to him.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
:rolleyes:

Outside of the bat speed/power, AA was rated "Best Infield Arm in the Florida State League in 2012" and "Best Defensive 2b in the Pacific Coast League in 2014" according to Baseball America. Baez isn't going to be a better base stealer. He doesn't have any more speed than AA. In a switch hitting contest, AA would win. Perhaps you undervalue switch hitting as a talent. AA didn't figure MLB pitching out. So far Baez hasn't figured MLB pitching out. When he does, then you're on to something.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
In a switch hitting contest, AA would win.

and?

Perhaps you undervalue switch hitting as a talent.

No, but he is hitting .200 vs AAA pitching and Baez is hitting over .300. So that "extra value" is meaning less.

AA didn't figure MLB pitching out. So far Baez hasn't figured MLB pitching out. When he does, then you're on to something.

1 step at a time. Baez is mastering AAA pitching while AA is not. When AA is mastering AAA pitching then you will be on to something.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Minors career:
Baez: .280/.338/.541 78 HR 67 SB
Alcantara: .281/.335/.437 44 HR 114 SB

Seems alike but Alcantara has 800 more AB's. You add 800 AB's to Baez and his HR's go over 100 and his SB get right around 90.

That is not even getting intro this year where Alcantara is hitting .200....

Alcantara played himself into the position he was in. He needs to prove he is that guy.

Baez was drafted to be that guy. Fell out and now is proving that he is still that guy.

As a prospect you want to force decisions. Baez is doing it Alcantara is not.

We saw this with Vitters. He played himself out of the org. BTW which McDonnalds is he working at now?
I recall someone (me) saying Alcantara is still a question mark during ST (because he slumped off last yr after a hot start) when i didn't care for their bench but was told Alcantara was a super sub off the bench who would be a high OBP guy with some pop..

Unfortunately so far i was right about him and the bench..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Even the last 10: Alcantara .194. Baez .357. 2 players heading 2 different directions right now.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You have to ask yourself what the definition of "talent" is. Until Baez actually is an everyday MLBer, he isn't any more "talented" than AA. As CSF said, Alcantara made himself a prospect and had to prove himself. He didn't. This is where politics and perceptions come into play. Baez was a #1 draft pick. He's going to get more opportunity. Now, as CSF mentioned, at this point AA is playing himself out of the Cubs organization. Baez looks to be taking the opposite path, but until he proves himself at the MLB level, it really doesn't matter.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
and?

No, but he is hitting .200 vs AAA pitching and Baez is hitting over .300. So that "extra value" is meaning less.

1 step at a time. Baez is mastering AAA pitching while AA is not. When AA is mastering AAA pitching then you will be on to something.
The conversation regarding "talent" is a :whoosh:. Slow down and think again before you post.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I recall someone (me) saying Alcantara is still a question mark during ST (because he slumped off last yr after a hot start) when i didn't care for their bench but was told Alcantara was a super sub off the bench who would be a high OBP guy with some pop..

Unfortunately so far i was right about him and the bench..

Career BB% is 8%. Not bad as a hitter but you would want over 10% for a lead off. His deal is he is good at alot of things but doesn't have 1 skill that is top end. He reminds me of Brett Jackson in this sense. I'm just hoping he doesn't fall off of the wagon as he did. If he has 1 plus tool that he could exploit like speed and a knack for getting on 1st then he would work his way onto the team. But right now he has some pop. Quality glove. Hits from both sides. Can cover many spots. Ya sub is his calling card right now. Problem is he is regressing as a hitter and I'm not sure why he has gotten worse. Seems that the book has been written on him and he is not making the adjustment.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The conversation regarding "talent" is a :whoosh:. Slow down and think again before you post.

Who cares about "talent" when you are hitting .200 vs minor league pitching. Damn this is like talking about Vitters and Jackson. Ya loads of talent.....