CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I recall someone (me) saying Alcantara is still a question mark during ST (because he slumped off last yr after a hot start) when i didn't care for their bench but was told Alcantara was a super sub off the bench who would be a high OBP guy with some pop..

Unfortunately so far i was right about him and the bench..
That's why you don't :fap: over prospects until they become solid MLBers. In the end, you have to be able to hit the ball, but also, IIRC, AA had trouble throwing from OF.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Who cares about "talent" when you are hitting .200 vs minor league pitching. Damn this is like talking about Vitters and Jackson. Ya loads of talent.....
:whoosh:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You have to ask yourself what the definition of "talent" is. Until Baez actually is an everyday MLBer, he isn't any more "talented" than AA. As CSF said, Alcantara made himself a prospect and had to prove himself. He didn't. This is where politics and perceptions come into play. Baez was a #1 draft pick. He's going to get more opportunity. Now, as CSF mentioned, at this point AA is playing himself out of the Cubs organization. Baez looks to be taking the opposite path, but until he proves himself at the MLB level, it really doesn't matter.
I agree with that. .

Originally you wrote Alcantara was more talented just because he SH

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You have to ask yourself what the definition of "talent" is. Until Baez actually is an everyday MLBer, he isn't any more "talented" than AA. As CSF said, Alcantara made himself a prospect and had to prove himself. He didn't. This is where politics and perceptions come into play. Baez was a #1 draft pick. He's going to get more opportunity. Now, as CSF mentioned, at this point AA is playing himself out of the Cubs organization. Baez looks to be taking the opposite path, but until he proves himself at the MLB level, it really doesn't matter.

you are right on this point. He has to hit major league pitching. But you have to hit AAA pitching to even get a shot at it.

I believe there is a clear need with Coglan hitting .200 at LF. Coghlan can play all 3 OF spots. So he has sub written all over him.

What you would want to see is AA righting himself so he can cover the OF with LaStella backing up the IF. Lets face it with Baez, Bryant etc you really don't want to take the bat out of their hands in general. Thus Herera has not seen squat playing time sense Bryant and Russell have promoted.

But by promoting Baez you lose nothing by moving him to LF and it puts it on him to adjust and stick at the major league level.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I agree with that. .

Originally you wrote Alcantara was more talented just because he SH
No. I did not say that. Switch hitting is a talent just as power is recognized as a talent. One wasn't greater than the other.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
But by promoting Baez you lose nothing by moving him to LF and it puts it on him to adjust and stick at the major league level.

Baez couldn't do any worse then Coghlan is right now hitting wise... only difference would definitely be defense and Cogs hits from Left side

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Castro hitting #4...I really hate seeing a not power hitter hitting clean up....

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Baez couldn't do any worse then Coghlan is right now hitting wise... only difference would definitely be defense and Cogs hits from Left side

Matters little when you are hitting .200 vs RH pitching...shoot might as well have Wood play left at that pint.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No. I did not say that. Switch hitting is a talent just as power is recognized as a talent. One wasn't greater than the other.

SH makes your team more versatile. Power changes the dynamic of a line up.

Take Castro hitting #4 behind Rizzo. They can walk Rizzo 4 times now with a singles hitter behind him. At worse you are looking at 1st and 3rd.

With a power hitter behind him you are looking at a solo shot vs a 2 hun homer on a free pass.

It forces the pitcher to throw strikes.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
He on the 60 days DL.. his earliest return would be July if he recovers and hits well in Iowa after return. .

He was placed on 15 day DL retroactive to April 15 then transferred to the 60 day meaning he should be able to return mid june assuming he was moved to the 60 day retroactive.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
you are right on this point. He has to hit major league pitching. But you have to hit AAA pitching to even get a shot at it.

I believe there is a clear need with Coglan hitting .200 at LF. Coghlan can play all 3 OF spots. So he has sub written all over him.

What you would want to see is AA righting himself so he can cover the OF with LaStella backing up the IF. Lets face it with Baez, Bryant etc you really don't want to take the bat out of their hands in general. Thus Herera has not seen squat playing time sense Bryant and Russell have promoted.

TBH, I don't really care. Is that bad? They have a lot of "prospects". If AA rights himself, he's trade material. Szczur can be a fourth OF, LaStella can be traded. It doesn't matter to me, but if, and it's a big if at this point, AA could get his ship righted, what his value becomes is the backup IF, switch hitter (nice option off the bench to pinch hit, etc).

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Castro hitting #4...I really hate seeing a not power hitter hitting clean up....
In Maddon mind he hitting 5th, with bryant and Rizzo thev3 n 4 hitter...

Soler if were hitting for more power and not striking out so much could easily hit there but Castro there mainly because he puts ball in play and moves Fowler Bryant and Rizzo up and or in..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He was placed on 15 day DL retroactive to April 15 then transferred to the 60 day meaning he should be able to return mid june assuming he was moved to the 60 day retroactive.
Right.. but i doubt he goes right to cubs without playing for 2 months. . Im sure theyll have him get some ABs in Iowa first, and there no real rush considering he will be a bench guy..

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
SH makes your team more versatile. Power changes the dynamic of a line up.

Take Castro hitting #4 behind Rizzo. They can walk Rizzo 4 times now with a singles hitter behind him. At worse you are looking at 1st and 3rd.

With a power hitter behind him you are looking at a solo shot vs a 2 hun homer on a free pass.

It forces the pitcher to throw strikes.
In their lineup every day, I would add the power. They have SH with Fowler, but then if that plays out correctly, either Schwarber needs to work out at C or Castro gets traded to put Schwarber in LF.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

He could do worse offensively. But he certainly has far more potential offensively. And he likely would do as well defensively from Day 1. Coghlan is average at best defensively.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Right.. but i doubt he goes right to cubs without playing for 2 months. . Im sure theyll have him get some ABs in Iowa first, and there no real rush considering he will be a bench guy..

You can rehab at anytime AFAIK. In other words, from what I've read it was a 3-4 week injury which should be healed by roughly now. He then has a month or so he can rehab in the minors. He just can't be pulled off the 60 day DL until then but you can still rehab. Turner is on 60 day DL and rehabbing now AFAIk. Same with Wada.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You can rehab at anytime AFAIK. In other words, from what I've read it was a 3-4 week injury which should be healed by roughly now. He then has a month or so he can rehab in the minors. He just can't be pulled off the 60 day DL until then but you can still rehab. Turner is on 60 day DL and rehabbing now AFAIk. Same with Wada.
He hasn't played a game since the injury...

He could be working out, running, playing catch
But he hasn't played / faced real pitching since he been hurt..

Their gonna want him gettin AB in minors before he recalled. . Like LaStella doing now

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
He hasn't played a game since the injury...

He could be working out, running, playing catch
But he hasn't played / faced real pitching since he been hurt..

Their gonna want him gettin AB in minors before he recalled. . Like LaStella doing now

And he has a month to do that. I'm sure you're going to hear news about him going to extended spring training similar to LaStella in the next week or so.

Liked Posts:
Anybody have a best guess on when La Stella will be back? He’s only played 3 games so far on his rehab in AA. Next Cubs home stand maybe?