(IST) WCF: (3) Chicago Blackhawks vs. (1) Anaheim Ducks

Who will win this matchup?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Avery was your typical agitator. He knew his job and did it to a fucking tee.

I liked him just like I like Carcillo or Burish. Difference was Avery did have some skill. I mean, his stats over the course of a 1000 game career equate to just under 500 points which isn't an easy feat for someone with "no skill".

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

Never said Avery had "no skill." Just laughed at the notion that he had "great hockey skill."

His career point pace averages out to about 0.4 per game. Andrew Shaw is on the same pace in roughly 250 regular season games. Anybody touting Shaw's great hockey skill?

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Never said Avery had "no skill." Just laughed at the notion that he had "great hockey skill."

His career point pace averages out to about 0.4 per game. Andrew Shaw is on the same pace in roughly 250 regular season games. Anybody touting Shaw's great hockey skill?

I think Shaw actually has better skill then some people believe. His hands are actually pretty good as I've seen him make some dangles that I wouldn't expect from a player of his style.

But no, I would say he's a highly skilled player like a Kane or TT.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think Shaw actually has better skill then some people believe. His hands are actually pretty good as I've seen him make some dangles that I wouldn't expect from a player of his style.

You and Dmelt both make good points. I think the gamechanger is how much of a relentless agitator Avery really was. And innovative.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

Agreed on Shaw.

Earlier in his career, he was in love with this toe drag, but he often got himself in trouble by attempting to toe drag around guys in the neutral zone, leading to turnovers and odd-man rushes in the opposite direction. Gotten much better at that recently.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
You and Dmelt both make good points. I think the gamechanger is how much of a relentless agitator Avery really was. And innovative.

You didn't even know who the fuck Sean Avery was until Grimson said his name this morning. Stop yourself.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You didn't even know who the fuck Sean Avery was until Grimson said his name this morning. Stop yourself.

not true at all. look at the introduction thread.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
No respect for the classics like Probert or Dave Schultz

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
g600616996.gif

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:

Different era.
Plus Probert and Schultz would massacre any tough guy in today's NHL. Avery wouldn't consider dropping the gloves with either of those two.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I'll youtube some of that when my battery is charged. Thanks for the protip- didn't mean any disrespect.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:

Not true as they were enforcers who on their own were a different bread of violence in hockey. Probert was a gem, probably the ultimate enforcer as he could play a regular shift, score points and beat the piss out of you (he made the all star team one year). But his and guys like McSorely, Kocur, Schultz, Hunter, Chase, Twist game wasn't about agitating the other team, but trying to physically intimidate the piss out of them. Those guys were the gladiators and I have the upmost respect for them having to duke it out infront of 15,000+ fans every night. That takes balls and courage.

There have always been agitators/pests, but IMO the mid to late 90s and the instigator rule saw the rise of the agitators as those type of players didn't need to worry about getting their asses kicked anymore and could benefit their team by goading someone to take an extra 2 minute penalty. Some of them even had skill such as Esa Tikkanen, Brad May, Matt Barnaby. Others just were 4th line guys who fore checked hard and played a chippy game such as Tony Granato, Ian Laperriere, Darius Kasparaitis, Tyson Nash, Kaleta, Ott, Avery, Carcillo, Darcy Tucker.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Bob Probert was a goddam monster. I don't know how anyone ever thought fighting him was a good idea.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Apparently Jamie Benn is the player NHL players consider the guy they least want to engage in a fight currently.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I loved Al Secord, skated with Savard but not only could he score 50 goals in a season the guy was tough to drop the gloves against.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bob Probert was a goddam monster. I don't know how anyone ever thought fighting him was a good idea.

I heard an interview with Probie once and they asked him how many times he fought Tie Domi. His reply - "No enough"

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not disagreeing with you, but Averey would have been killed in the Pre-instgator era.
Different era.
Plus Probert and Schultz would massacre any tough guy in today's NHL. Avery wouldn't consider dropping the gloves with either of those two.
I don't think it would have mattered--this is Probert your taling about. Guys like him and Hextall don't let minor things like a linesman holding them back get in the way of a beatdown.

Hell, look at the fight Bollig had with Torres after Torres cheapshotted Hossa. Torres felt his menses run down his leg and turtled. Bollig just went to serve his 17 minutes of penalties.

Now ask yourself: Had the 'hawks been icing Probert, would it have even mattered if Torres turtled? Probably not form a penalty point of view, but you know Torres would have been off the ice nursing blunt force traula wounds.

Further...imagine if Avery got all up in Hextall's grill instead of Fatso's. Or what about Belfour's, or Cloutier's. He would have eneded up like Reginald Denny.

Neither do I...As far as I'm concerned he was the last true enforcer. Not a goon--he could actually play and beat the snot out of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.