It's Another VogelBomb! 2013 Minor League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Like I said on Baez after June to keep his super 2 in check. If he is at 20 + HR in Iowa by that time they are going to promote him. As was the case with Rizzo last year.

Szczur and Alcantra I expect after the dead line at the earliest baring injury.

Olt should get the first shot. I'm expecting them to give him Apr and May to figure it out. If Bryant is crushing it I would expect him to get bumped to 3B and Olt kicked down. About it. Christian would be injury depth. Vitters I'd be surprised if they retain him on the 40 man.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't believe we will ever see Vitters on the Cubs, and I don't think that's a bad thing. The guy has had a long time to show what he has, and he simply hasn't done anything noteworthy.

He's no longer a prospect. He's a "one-time prospect".

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't believe we will ever see Vitters on the Cubs, and I don't think that's a bad thing. The guy has had a long time to show what he has, and he simply hasn't done anything noteworthy.

He's no longer a prospect. He's a "one-time prospect".

Fact they traded for Olt and signed Bryant points to this.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Baez with another homerun -- this one of the walk-off variety. Smokies win 8-6.

:fap:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Javier Baez 2 for 4 with a walk a strikeout and a game winning 2 run bomb in the bottom of the ninth. Guess what, it was off a right hander. Haha

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;MB74CPKIPzw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB74CPKIPzw&feature=share&list=UUQ5HBWbe_N57Z5BEJQna1-g[/video]

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was off balanced and just whipped that bat through the zone! Unreal talent!

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
A walk-off while falling over. Awesome!

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Brany and Vogy two hits each (singles).

Buried in that stacked Smokies team, Villanueva is really heating up, keep an eye out.

The though of Baez, Soler, Bryant, Vogelbach and Rizzo (somehow each of the last two) in the same lineup with that kind of power... :fap:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Brany and Vogy two hits each (singles).

Buried in that stacked Smokies team, Villanueva is really heating up, keep an eye out.

The though of Baez, Soler, Bryant, Vogelbach and Rizzo (somehow each of the last two) in the same lineup with that kind of power... :fap:

Baez SS, Soler RF, Bryant 3B, Vogelbach 1B, Rizzo LF.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Rizzo is gold glove caliber. It would be a huge mistake to move him.

I have zero desire to see a poor fielding first baseman giving the opposition more outs just so we can hopefully get a few more HR's. That is losing baseball and smacks of regimes past. We do not need to see this in our future. If the kid can be a major league hitter, trade him to an AL team. We have OF prospects - and better ones than Rizzo - and Rizzo is far too valuable defensively to move.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Rizzo glove staying at first..

wouldn't surprise me if Vog is used in a deal next off season if he continue to hit and Rizzo has a better 2014.

im waiting for AFL to see what positions bryant and baez plays.. it gonna be 3rd and Left between them two.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...tebook_id=57300982&vkey=notebook_chc&c_id=chc

CHICAGO -- Top prospect Javier Baez hit his 31st home run of the season, and 14th with Double-A Tennessee on Friday, a two-run walk-off homer in the ninth. The Cubs have emphasized how they want to take time and let players develop in the Minor Leagues. But could Baez force the issue next spring?

"You don't count any of that out, because we've seen it happen before," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said on Saturday. "When you have those kind of numbers and power, sometimes you do force the issue. It's not in the plans, right now, but we've all seen it happen."

Baez, ranked No. 1 on MLB.com's list of the Cubs' top 20 prospects, was batting .293 with the Smokies. He batted .274 with 17 home runs and 57 RBIs with Class A Daytona before he was promoted to Tennessee on July 6. Sveum has watched video of Baez, who had an impressive spring with the big league team.

"You see that kind of bat speed once in a while," Sveum said. "I've used Gary Sheffield as that kind of [example]. Even watching him now, it looks like [Baez] has toned down a lot of his movement and hand movement, and his leg lift is a lot slower and calmer than it was in Spring Training -- and even early in the Minor League videos I watched. That's what development and adjusting are about, that's what you want to see -- that you're able to handle strike-to-ball sliders.

"I think, in this last week or so, it seems like, listening to the reports, that's what he's been doing," Sveum said of the shortstop. "It sounds like he's laying off a lot of stuff -- [he's] a lot more calmer, a lot more under control."

At Daytona, Baez batted .296 against left-handed pitchers, and .268 against right-handers; at Tennessee, he's batting .429 against left-handers, .231 against right-handers. Sveum would like to see an improvement against right-handers, especially dealing with offspeed pitches.

"[The strike-to-ball slider] is the million-dollar pitch, and it's not about hitting it, it's about learning how to lay off it and recognize it early enough where you don't swing at it," said Sveum. "That's why Minor Leaguers need the 2,000 at-bats [before coming to the big leagues]."

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...¬ebook_id=57300982&vkey=notebook_chc&c_id=chc

CHICAGO -- Top prospect Javier Baez hit his 31st home run of the season, and 14th with Double-A Tennessee on Friday, a two-run walk-off homer in the ninth. The Cubs have emphasized how they want to take time and let players develop in the Minor Leagues. But could Baez force the issue next spring?

"You don't count any of that out, because we've seen it happen before," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said on Saturday. "When you have those kind of numbers and power, sometimes you do force the issue. It's not in the plans, right now, but we've all seen it happen."

Baez, ranked No. 1 on MLB.com's list of the Cubs' top 20 prospects, was batting .293 with the Smokies. He batted .274 with 17 home runs and 57 RBIs with Class A Daytona before he was promoted to Tennessee on July 6. Sveum has watched video of Baez, who had an impressive spring with the big league team.

"You see that kind of bat speed once in a while," Sveum said. "I've used Gary Sheffield as that kind of [example]. Even watching him now, it looks like [Baez] has toned down a lot of his movement and hand movement, and his leg lift is a lot slower and calmer than it was in Spring Training -- and even early in the Minor League videos I watched. That's what development and adjusting are about, that's what you want to see -- that you're able to handle strike-to-ball sliders.

"I think, in this last week or so, it seems like, listening to the reports, that's what he's been doing," Sveum said of the shortstop. "It sounds like he's laying off a lot of stuff -- [he's] a lot more calmer, a lot more under control."

At Daytona, Baez batted .296 against left-handed pitchers, and .268 against right-handers; at Tennessee, he's batting .429 against left-handers, .231 against right-handers. Sveum would like to see an improvement against right-handers, especially dealing with offspeed pitches.

"[The strike-to-ball slider] is the million-dollar pitch, and it's not about hitting it, it's about learning how to lay off it and recognize it early enough where you don't swing at it," said Sveum. "That's why Minor Leaguers need the 2,000 at-bats [before coming to the big leagues]."

2,000 minor league at bats, eh Dale? So Baez gonna be in AAA for 2 more years :yep:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
2,000 minor league at bats, eh Dale? So Baez gonna be in AAA for 2 more years :yep:

Doubt it. I expect after the super 2 cut off.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chicago/chat/_/id/48722

What Jesse Rogers thoughts were:

Tim (Chicago)

In 2-3 years from now will Rizzo still be batting in the heart of the order or will he be moved down to make room for Bryant, Baez, and Soler?
Jesse Rogers (2:05 PM)

Hard to know without a crystal ball but he certainly seems like a middle of the order guy...even if he's about the homers and not so much the average, he'll still look good in the 3-5 hole..but everything is to be determined at this point..I dont see why he wouldnt be there

Riley, Dallas [via mobile]

Javier Baez has 30 homers this year in the minors. Will he be in Triple-A to start next season and be a potential June call up, or are we going to have to wait until 40-man next year so they get an additional year of control?
Jesse Rogers (2:07 PM)

I would suspect he starts the year at AAA and gets the mid to late year call-up...I wonder if he might go to Iowa for the final couple of weeks this season to get a taste...theyve been doing that with players and Jason McLeod said as much to me last week...give the guys a taste where they will start next year...but anyway, I think he's knocking on the door by mid-season as long as he keeps progroessing

Bergs (Starbucks)

I put down the coffee and grabbed a blueberry muffin now. Baez just hit his 30th HR last night, but he seems to strike out a lot and his batting average is low. What type of numbers does he project to have in the majors? Is he going to be a power hitter with a very low average?
Jesse Rogers (2:10 PM)

He could be that but if he is, they at least want him taking his walks...that is key for this new crop...his benchmarks for moving up are WALK related not HR or avg related...they would like a walk about every ten PA..but would live with 12-13..he has improved in that area this year

Clint B (Waterville Maine)

With Jorge Soler being shut down for the year, how far will that put him behind heading into spring training just saying he's healthy then.
Jesse Rogers (2:11 PM)

It definitely puts him behind since he was the one guy that needed to play as much as anyone...I would guess he starts wher Baez is now..at AA

Mike (Ingleside )

I know you said you think Kris Bryant should start at 3rd next season, Why not start him at Double A give him 6 weeks there, Move him to Triple A for 4 weeks and then bring him up right after the super 2 cut off so we can keep another year on his contract? In the mean time we can start Olt there and see what we have, He'll be 25 so it's make it or break it time. your thoughts?
Jesse Rogers (2:16 PM)

That's fine...of course the easy answer is let a guy prove it more in the minors then bring him up..but that means Olt needs to prove it more!! My point about Bryant is that he looks to be a talent that is more mature than most of the guys we are talking about and the KEY is the opening at 3rd base there right now...If Olt gets left behind so be it...I talked to many front office types including the one in the article, Stan Kasten of the Dodgers, if the opening is there and the guy is mature then let him get his licks in...lets forget about super 2 and arb clocks and the rest and let him play....that way youre bringing up one prospect at a time...Lake this yr, bryant to start next..then Baez, etc instead of a bunch at once or what not...its not a big deal but I like the best hitter in college -- by far -- being able to make a last place team the next year....I did not and would not write that about baez or soler or almora or anyone else but it THIS case I think its a good idea

Edwin Galletti [via mobile]

Why wouldn't the Cubs bring up Vitters and Jackson to see what they got in them? They were very high picks and I feel at the moment they can't but raise their stock as potential trade chips in the winter if one or both gets hot.
Jesse Rogers (2:18 PM)

Its possible they will come sept but you have to be casreful rewarding mediocrity..the rest of the organization will see that...those that deserve to get called up, get called up...it doesnt always go down like that but thats how they like to do it...still, they might get the sept look again, if healthy of course...they havent always been this year

Matt (North Carolina)

Great piece on Bryant being the starting 3B next year...but how realistic is that, and where do you think he actually goes out of spring training next year?
Jesse Rogers (2:24 PM)

It probably wont happen...my guess is AA with a chance to move up quickly...

Dan (Omaha)

Is there really even a place for Vogelbach on the big league club? Can they flip him for a top pitching prospect to a team looking for a DH? Boston?
Jesse Rogers (2:22 PM)

They will have to at some point in the offseason...unless he beats out rizzo and they trade him instead..they wont...so there is no room at the Inn for Vogelbach and no position switch either..

Keoni (Anchorage, Alaska)

After making some big trades to free up some monies, is it possible to go out and sign a big bat or couple top-of-the-rotation guys come 2015 to help contend?
Jesse Rogers (2:28 PM)

Absolutely..they wont win anythng with ALL home grown guys..heck they spent 52 mil on a .500 pitcher, they will spend when they have to / need to

Keoni (Anchorage, Alaska)

I know Baez is on a tear right now and obviously there is no reason to rush him to the bigs, especially since we ain't going anywhere this year, but is it possible to have him on the big league club next year?
Jesse Rogers (2:28 PM)

Not right away....has to hit his benchamrks/goals at AAA then he gets his shot here...plus have to play him at some other positions down there

Armando (Berlin)

Will the Cubs look to trade Castro this winter so Baez can play SS?
Jesse Rogers (2:30 PM)

Probably not but lets say that question isnt as silly as it was a yr or two ago...gotta get a lot for him though...

Rock (Chicago)

Barring any huge setbacks, it would at least make sense to assume that Bryant will start at AA and Baez at AAA next season, correct?
Jesse Rogers (2:31 PM)

Yes...but if Bryant proved himself in spring I'd like him have 3rd and roll from there...that way he's that much further along when the other come up...again, he's more mature as a hitter than the others , in my opinion

Ryne (Iowa)

Do you see the Cubs having a business winter?
Jesse Rogers (2:32 PM)

Not really...barring something crazy, I think both DeJEsus and Schierholtz are back until mid-season at least..the bullpe might get active but thats expected...could they sing one guy to Jackson type money or what not? sure...they'll be more turnover in pitching than anywhere else

Patrick (Brookfield)

I think it's more likely Baez moves to third and Bryant moves to the outfield. Agree or disagree JR?
Jesse Rogers (2:38 PM)

Eh, With Olt there as well I dont think so...why not 2nd? Bryant may make the move there someday but why force a guy out of his position when there is no one pushing him out right now...then Baez AND Bryant have to learn bew positions...I think we over complicate things too much...that was one point of my article..here's an opening, here's the best college hitter and he plays the position thats open...LET HIM PLAY....but I do understand and have no problem with a mid-season call-up...its 3 months whats the diff...I just think starting his progression sooner is better since others will be coming soon and have to do the same

Cesar [via mobile]

Describe each with one word. Soler, Bryant, Almora, Baez, Vogelbach
Jesse Rogers (2:45 PM)

AthleteHitterBaseball PLayerFree SwingerLuzinskiclose enough to one word

Status
Not open for further replies.