It's Another VogelBomb! 2013 Minor League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No, he has an average arm at best. He also is not very quick from side to side. He would never be able to make the transition. His options are limited to first or trade. DH if the NL adopts it or if he really just mashes. Stick him in left with a plus plus defender in center and just hope he can get to some balls. But, that is a long shot.

I can see the arm issue. He came in this season lighter. Not sure what his reaction time is. That would be a bigger factor as a catcher and learning the trade. With 1B blocked it may come down to trade or see if he can adapt. He is built for catching.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
We went through this. Arrieta was not coming up until they could save him from being a super 2. That's exactly what they did.

right.. they waited a whole week ( one start ) since I suggested it and you knocked it..lol
any how im glad to see him get an opportunity over seeing Villanueva now..

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
right.. they waited a whole week ( one start ) since I suggested it and you knocked it..lol
any how im glad to see him get an opportunity over seeing Villanueva now..

I didn't knock it. I said what they were waiting for. Now, they stop him from being a super 2 and also gain another year of control. I was just telling you that was what they were waiting for.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
As opposed to trade bait, would it be worth it then to keep him in the Cubs system in case Rizzo just doesn't get his stuff together?

I don't think the Cubs are in any rush to trade him. The higher he gets and the more he mashes the higher his trade value will be. It will also allow time to see if Rizzo will hold down first or if he hits that good. They may move Rizzo out to left because he is the much better athlete.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The key word is impact. 3 guys: Vogelbach would be ideal. Jeimer Candelario and Christian Villanueva also. 3B is a long shot for both.

Might be a pitcher if he hits well. Who knows.

Have to be a young guy because of the time it would take to teach them to catch. I can see them doing it, but I don't know who would fit their criteria.

patg006

Liked Posts:
The Cubs are lacking impact players at the catching position in the Minor Leagues. Epstein said they have talked about converting a few kids to catcher, and have targeted three players. That will begin this fall during instructional league.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...¬ebook_id=56865664&vkey=notebook_chc&c_id=chc

A huge prospect, Jeremy Martinez, who played with Almora in high school was in a Dillon Maples situation, easily a first round pick out of high school, but due to demands and stakes his side held, the cubs drafted him in the 37th round.

He was one of the 3 catchers I really wanted this past draft, plus defense/accurate cannon of an arm with great reflexes, advanced for a high schooler, plus bat (hit .395 senior year of high school) and the cubs failed to sign him......

Cael Brockenmeyer is slightly above average in Boise, but doesnt have desired power.

Maybe next year...

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
As opposed to trade bait, would it be worth it then to keep him in the Cubs system in case Rizzo just doesn't get his stuff together?

Hell yes! Rizzo is no guarantee for sure, and Chunk or even Bryant might push him, or push him right off the team. As far as Chunk goes, did anyone ever see Luzinski, Keith Moreland, Holliday, Incaviglia and others play the outfield? None of them had blazing speed, but they had adequate arms and could hit. If Chunk keeps hitting and with power, I see no need to trade him.

If he continues to progress, I would gladly trade an occasional bad defensive play for good offensive play any day. With the averages of minor leaguers that fail, I think the Cubs need as many good ones or potential good ones that they can get. It isn't as if the Cubs don't have the money to buy someone if they need to unless people believe the crap that the Cubs are truly broke and every penny is spent. :popcorn:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Best And Worst Baseball Beat Reporters, According To You
Last week we concluded our crowd-sourced guide to the best and worst beat reporters in Major League Baseball. Today, we collate. We read your reviews and picked out the best and worst beat reporters for every team where some consensus could be discerned. We also pulled some of your choicest comments, Zagat-style.

Please feel free to go back to the original threads for each team, or put any fresh observations in the discussion beneath this post.

Chicago Cubs

Best: The Daily Herald's Bruce Miles "has consistently been the best beat writer for the Cubs over the past decade plus."

Worst: MLB.com's Carrie Muskat is "a total team mouthpiece."

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Arismendy Alcantara just stole home :fap:

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Vogelbach is absolutely not a catcher guys. He is a bigger guy and it would take a lot on knees which in effect would reduce his power. The Cubs will leave him at 1B. If Rizzo commands 1st then they can try him in LF or he will be great trade bait to land some starters.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Vogelbach is absolutely not a catcher guys. He is a bigger guy and it would take a lot on knees which in effect would reduce his power. The Cubs will leave him at 1B. If Rizzo commands 1st then they can try him in LF or he will be great trade bait to land some starters.

I believe the answer is sitting infront of us. Move the more mobile Rizzo to LF and post Voggie at 1B. In 2 years line up could shape up as: Szczur CF, Alcantara 2B, Baez SS, Voggie 1B, Bryant 3B, Rizzo LF, Soler RF, Castillo C. To be honest L=>R about ever hitter and 3-7 have 30 HR potential. Use F/A on SP.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez 2-4 with a double and 3 RBI's last night (up to .280/.337/.587 at AA, if he was eligible, he'd be leading the Southern League in SLG by 99 points, be 1st in OPS, be 10th in batting average and 24th in OBP)

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe the answer is sitting infront of us. Move the more mobile Rizzo to LF and post Voggie at 1B. In 2 years line up could shape up as: Szczur CF, Alcantara 2B, Baez SS, Voggie 1B, Bryant 3B, Rizzo LF, Soler RF, Castillo C. To be honest L=>R about ever hitter and 3-7 have 30 HR potential. Use F/A on SP.

Castro isn't going anywhere. I don't know why people think this. Baez is most likely not going to handle short. Alcantara would be the more legit SS prospect. Baez is going somewhere else. Also, I highly doubt all these guys make it and Szczur is playing more like a 4th OF type.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Castro isn't going anywhere. I don't know why people think this. Baez is most likely not going to handle short. Alcantara would be the more legit SS prospect. Baez is going somewhere else. Also, I highly doubt all these guys make it and Szczur is playing more like a 4th OF type.

Szczur brings speed and a good OBA. I think you are underselling him a tad bit. Castro has been in a season long slump. The tried to alter his approach at the plate "Quiet down his movement" so from a career .297 to a .239 they quieted down hîs hitting. Again if it ain't broke... My beef with him is he lacks power and he makes errors at an alarming rate. I can accept errors if there is an Offensive counter. Say 30 errors but 30 HR's and 100 RBI's out of SS I would forgive his lacking. But with Castro hitting .300 and playing leaking D was suspect. Hitting less then .250 he should at least be in the GG conservation to justify it. Ala Barney at 2B. Do see what I just said? Right now Barney is better than Castro. That needs to change and fast.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Szczur brings speed and a good OBA. I think you are underselling him a tad bit. Castro has been in a season long slump. The tried to alter his approach at the plate "Quiet down his movement" so from a career .297 to a .239 they quieted down hîs hitting. Again if it ain't broke... My beef with him is he lacks power and he makes errors at an alarming rate. I can accept errors if there is an Offensive counter. Say 30 errors but 30 HR's and 100 RBI's out of SS I would forgive his lacking. But with Castro hitting .300 and playing leaking D was suspect. Hitting less then .250 he should at least be in the GG conservation to justify it. Ala Barney at 2B. Do see what I just said? Right now Barney is better than Castro. That needs to change and fast.

Its one season. He does this again next year then I see your point. Right now, he is not going anywhere. The Barney thing is a little ridiculous because Barney is a little over rated on D and is horrible at the plate. I don't even put them close to the same category. Castro has actually stabilized his defense for the past couple of months. As for Szczur, I have always been a supporter of his but we have so many OF options. I don't see him over taking anyone for the spot. He is a fringe player and the Cubs have a lot of options to put out there.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
To be honest I see Szczur, Alcantra and Baez (in that line up order) in Iowa next year. I also see Dejesus and Schierholtz retained. Both will be open for trade next summer. Barney I believe gets benched as a UI if he can beat Valbuena and Watkins out of S/T. Olt is given 3B. Christian goes to Iowa and Bryant goes to Tenn. they traded for him and he will be given a shot in 14. After the deadline I could see Baez in LF until Soler and Bryant upwell. With Vogelbach. So Castro will have time to fix himself in 14 and maybe until the following summer. But with the potential power bat incoming his bat become less because of his lack of GG SS and lack of power. Baez may give equal D but he is the better hitter making him the better SS by default. I'm not a fan of Barney either but that point made was regarding Castro's hitting being his main value to the line up. He is slumping so there is little upside to him being out there right now if he is not hitting. His D is replaceable. He is not a power hitter. So ya he is what he is right now. Barney at least makes the plays. He lacks talent but is more fundamentally sound where he doesn't make mistakes and is intelligent at 2B where he positions himself to make the plays. He is doing what is expected of him. He is not out there to be a hitter.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
To be honest I see Szczur, Alcantra and Baez (in that line up order) in Iowa next year. I also see Dejesus and Schierholtz retained. Both will be open for trade next summer. Barney I believe gets benched as a UI if he can beat Valbuena and Watkins out of S/T. Olt is given 3B. Christian goes to Iowa and Bryant goes to Tenn. they traded for him and he will be given a shot in 14. After the deadline I could see Baez in LF until Soler and Bryant upwell. With Vogelbach. So Castro will have time to fix himself in 14 and maybe until the following summer. But with the potential power bat incoming his bat become less because of his lack of GG SS and lack of power. Baez may give equal D but he is the better hitter making him the better SS by default. I'm not a fan of Barney either but that point made was regarding Castro's hitting being his main value to the line up. He is slumping so there is little upside to him being out there right now if he is not hitting. His D is replaceable. He is not a power hitter. So ya he is what he is right now. Barney at least makes the plays. He lacks talent but is more fundamentally sound where he doesn't make mistakes and is intelligent at 2B where he positions himself to make the plays. He is doing what is expected of him. He is not out there to be a hitter.

I hope everyday that they start easing Barney out of the starting lineup. Watkins isn't a bad filler. I do believe Olt will get a shot, but I believe its only to try to up his value to retrade. I also believe Vitters gets a shot in left before this year is done.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
2014 I think they'd like to start Olt but I seem him more like a Rizzo call up. They need to make a decision on him and Bryant some time soon. Soler and Bryant as maybes for 2014 probably 2015. The rest. The rest I see as maybe for 2015 probably 2016.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
2014 I think they'd like to start Olt but I seem him more like a Rizzo call up. They need to make a decision on him and Bryant some time soon. Soler and Bryant as maybes for 2014 probably 2015. The rest. The rest I see as maybe for 2015 probably 2016.

Olt could break camp as the starting third baseman. I am pretty confident barring injury Baez, Szczur, and Bryant will see major league time next year. Probably not till August or later, but they will get a taste. Soler would have to crush the FSL and be really good next year for him to see time.

Alcantara could, but he is still young and they may want him just get more seasoned and look for 2015. I also see Kyle Kendricks coming up at some point in 2014 and barring more setbacks. Vizcaino will see major league time in 2014. He doesn't need seasoning in the minors. He just need to show he is healthy and you can pencil him in for at least the bullpen at some point. May stay in the minors longer if they think he can still start.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Olt could break camp as the starting third baseman. I am pretty confident barring injury Baez, Szczur, and Bryant will see major league time next year. Probably not till August or later, but they will get a taste. Soler would have to crush the FSL and be really good next year for him to see time.

Alcantara could, but he is still young and they may want him just get more seasoned and look for 2015. I also see Kyle Kendricks coming up at some point in 2014 and barring more setbacks. Vizcaino will see major league time in 2014. He doesn't need seasoning in the minors. He just need to show he is healthy and you can pencil him in for at least the bullpen at some point. May stay in the minors longer if they think he can still start.

Like I said, I think they would love for Olt to break camp with them but given where he is hitting wise now it's questionable if he's ready. I could see Bryant and Soler getting a cup of coffee but I'm not expecting much more. Baez i'm being conservative on. The thing is where they want to play him. I think you'd be better off leaving him in AAA if he's doing well and have him prep for breaking camp in 2015. Unless he's just crushing the ball and has to be in the line up. Then maybe you force Castro over to 2nd to free up his most natural position. I see Soler up sooner just because they have the openings as well as the fact they don't have to worry about arbitration of any kind with him. So, if they tank they can deal Schierholtz or Dejesus and plug him in as a cheap alternative like they've done with Lake.

I wasn't really thinking about the rest of the guys you talked about. Mostly just the top 5-7ish hitters. What you're suggesting doesn't seem too off.

Status
Not open for further replies.