It's Another VogelBomb! 2013 Minor League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I wish I could watch his games. Probably a lot more exciting than watching the Cubs right now.

Mr Cub. Go to the fair and ride the Ferris Wheel. It's relative to watching the Cubs.

It goes up, it goes down, it goes up, it goes down,......and when the ride is over, it always ends up on the bottom. :popcorn:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
CHICAGO -- Javier Baez had a historic night on Monday.

Baez, the Cubs' No. 1 Draft pick in 2011 and No. 1 prospect, hit four home runs and drove in seven runs in Class A Daytona's 9-6 victory over Fort Myers, and is the second player in the 94-year history of the Florida State League to hit four homers in a game.

Baez belted a two-run homer with one out in the first off Matt Tomshaw, a leadoff shot in the third off Tomshaw, a three-run blast in the fifth off Adrian Salcedo, and a solo shot with two outs in the seventh off Jose Gonzalez. He now has 13 home runs for the season and 44 RBIs.

"It's a pretty special night for anybody at any level to hit four home runs," said Cubs manager Dale Sveum, who heard about Baez's exploits after Monday's loss to the Reds. "That's what we're hoping for when he gets developed and ready to go here is those kind of days and that kind of power that changes games around with one swing of the bat."

The only other player to hit four home runs in a Florida State League game was another Cubs prospect, Ryan Harvey, who did so July 28, 2006, also for Daytona.

The last Cubs Minor Leaguer to belt four homers in a game was Micah Hoffpauir, who hit four solo shots Aug. 9, 2008, for Triple-A Iowa.

Baez is well ahead of last year's pace when he hit 16 home runs -- 12 with Class A Peoria and four more with Daytona.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hate the fact the article said 2 other Cubs did this...Hoffpauir who ended up in Japan and Harvey who is playing on Lancaster in the Atlantic Indi league. Both never made it.....

Good job ruining the moment :cubstroll2:

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Hate the fact the article said 2 other Cubs did this...Hoffpauir who ended up in Japan and Harvey who is playing on Lancaster in the Atlantic Indi league. Both never made it.....

Just a little dose of reality that 4 HR's in the minor leagues means very, very, very little.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Just a little dose of reality that 4 HR's in the minor leagues means very, very, very little.

The sobering moment. Very true, but a nice thing for the :fap: squad to tighten the pants with

Anybody know how far these home runs flew? My knowledge of outfield walls in A+ and the major leagues is minimal, but I'm guessing A+ has smaller fields. So basically I'm asking would these have been home runs in Wrigley?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The sobering moment. Very true, but a nice thing for the :fap: squad to tighten the pants with

Anybody know how far these home runs flew? My knowledge of outfield walls in A+ and the major leagues is minimal, but I'm guessing A+ has smaller fields. So basically I'm asking would these have been home runs in Wrigley?

Dead center at Jackie Robinson Field is 400'. Down the lines is a little shorter at 317' in LF and 325' in RF. Also as a note the FSL is generallly considered a pitcher friendly league as far my recollection goes.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

He hit one to dead center. He hit one to right center and he hit two to left. High A is def. a pitcher friendly league and a .570 slugging in the league is tremendous. Baez has a good bit of things to work on but anyone dismissing a 20 year old kid popping 4 homers anytime is stupid. Especially, when this guy is gonna challenge for a top 5 spot in the top 100.

One last thing, Baseball prospectus said that the Cubs are most likely going to have 4 players crack the top 20 of mid season top 50 list. Add to the fact that there is belief that Alcantara and Volgelbomb are going to crack the top 100 next year. The Cubs probably have the strongest position players in the minors. They are no where close with pitching, but Im guessing some wheeling and dealing is going to go on soon.

patg006

Liked Posts:
One last thing, Baseball prospectus said that the Cubs are most likely going to have 4 players crack the top 20 of mid season top 50 list. Add to the fact that there is belief that Alcantara and Volgelbomb are going to crack the top 100 next year. The Cubs probably have the strongest position players in the minors. They are no where close with pitching, but Im guessing some wheeling and dealing is going to go on soon.

I'll take KB's side here.

Top 20 prospects dont mean shit. Ask the royals.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yes, yes they do. It doesnt guarantee they will be productive major leaguers. But, it means they have a lot more value than a non top 20 player. So, when you go for that big name proven player. You have young players teams will want in trade. I dont understand why some act like prospects are nothing. They have value. No one is guaranteeing success in the majors. I am saying that 1. It makes it more likely they will have success. 2. The only way you trade for proven players is with PROSPECTS! You want David Price? These are the guys you need to be in the top 20 to get him. No prospects. No trades.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

Exactly.

Two years ago the Royals had I believe 5 players in the top 25.

The 'most productive' of the group have been Moustakas and Hosmer who are close to getting tagged as busts.

The rest are still in the minors.

And I could give a shit about A ball and if it is a pitcher friendly league or not. At least 95% of the players in that league are only around to facilitate the games for the 5% of the players that even have a shot at reaching the majors.

The starter for Fort Myers yesterday was a 42nd round pick who at 24 years of age has finally made it to High A ball.

The other two pitchers appear to be undrafted players now in their third season at High A ball.

I would say the chances are slim any of these guys even reach AA.

Not impressed.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly.

Two years ago the Royals had I believe 5 players in the top 25.

The 'most productive' of the group have been Moustakas and Hosmer who are close to getting tagged as busts.

The rest are still in the minors.

And I could give a shit about A ball and if it is a pitcher friendly league or not. At least 95% of the players in that league are only around to facilitate the games for the 5% of the players that even have a shot at reaching the majors.

The starter for Fort Myers yesterday was a 42nd round pick who at 24 years of age has finally made it to High A ball.

The other two pitchers appear to be undrafted players now in their third season at High A ball.

I would say the chances are slim any of these guys even reach AA.

Not impressed.

Lol you are so over the top sometimes

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Lol you are so over the top sometimes

Cause I am not impressed with something that Ryan fucking Harvey was able to do??

Or do you not like the facts that the Royals had 5 top 25 prospects two years that havent done shit at the major league level?? You know, the only level that means anything.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are over the top because you say do both then bitch about the minors guys doing well. I dont give a fuck what Hoffpauir who was in his late 20's did or Ryan Harvey did. Harvey had prolific power when he was drafted what happened after is anybody's guess. I dont give a fuck if you are in little league. Hitting 4 homers off of 4 different pitches is awesome. Does it mean Baez is a lock for the majors? No. People arent even saying he needs to go to AA yet. But, to act like these prospects mean nothing is absolutely insane. How did Jim Hendry aquire Ramirez and then DLee. Prospects!!!!! Prospects also mean more now then they ever have with the change in international signings and draft. I dont care if the Royals took a shit in the box and sent it to you. Doesnt mean the Cubs are going to go the exact same thing. Thats why you are over the top.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
You are over the top because you say do both then bitch about the minors guys doing well. I dont give a fuck what Hoffpauir who was in his late 20's did or Ryan Harvey did. Harvey had prolific power when he was drafted what happened after is anybody's guess. I dont give a fuck if you are in little league. Hitting 4 homers off of 4 different pitches is awesome. Does it mean Baez is a lock for the majors? No. People arent even saying he needs to go to AA yet. But, to act like these prospects mean nothing is absolutely insane. How did Jim Hendry aquire Ramirez and then DLee. Prospects!!!!! Prospects also mean more now then they ever have with the change in international signings and draft. I dont care if the Royals took a shit in the box and sent it to you. Doesnt mean the Cubs are going to go the exact same thing. Thats why you are over the top.

I guess he doesn't like people talking about prospects, not that he doesn't think they hold any value at all. That said, pretty dumb to come into the Minor League Thread if you don't want to talk about prospects. He easily could avoid it if he has nothing real to contribute to the discussion besides the same thing everyone already knows about how they often bust.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
I think it would be outstanding if the Cubs had no top 100 prospects on the BA list!

[video=metacafe;6048803/most_oblivious_man_in_the_world_with_tony_hale/]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/6048803/most_oblivious_man_in_the_world_with_tony_hale/[/video]

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it would be outstanding if the Cubs had no top 100 prospects on the BA list!

[video=metacafe;6048803/most_oblivious_man_in_the_world_with_tony_hale/]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/6048803/most_oblivious_man_in_the_world_with_tony_hale/[/video]

What's a prospect? They haven't touched the majors so they're worthless!

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
He easily could avoid it if he has nothing real to contribute to the discussion besides the same thing everyone already knows about how they often bust.

But the idiots like yourself DONT KNOW HOW OFTEN THEY BUST.

That is why you guys keep staining yourselves every time a prospect gets a hit.

Yawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.