Jalen Hurts

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Prescott isn't worth the contract, Lamar Jackson had one good year and got his ass whooped in the playoffs, Gardner Minshew? Really? You call that a franchise QB? Then some kid that hasn't proven anything yet? Even Trubisky had one good year. One good year doesn't mean shit. Its clearly about consistency and improvement.

The Ravens got back on the winning track with Jackson every since his rookie yr.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You also have mentioned/advocated for Terrelle Pryor, Josh Johnson, and any black male that has ever thrown a football at anything above a peewee football level, so there is that.

Don't forget Webster and Arnold.

webster-ss3.jpeg

Gary-Coleman-as-Arnold-diffrent-strokes-18022862-640-480.png

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Ravens got back on the winning track with Jackson every since his rookie yr.
...and that's only going to get better this year. Early reports on that young receiving corps has been overwhelmingly positive. I've stated how I feel in my sig: I believe the Ravens are going to the Super Bowl this year.

With that being said, I've never been a fan of running quarterbacks due to the inevitable injuries that come along with it. You have got to get that rock out of your hands. I don't care how big and strong you are- you are eventually going to get hurt if you don't learn that lesson.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL..... WTF? Yes it is. He hasn't had draft picks? He's passed on QB's multiple times. This is simply a fact.

Are you really forgetting the tight squeeze the salary cap has been? Exactly how many times in the past 5 years have the Bears had enough salary cap space or picks necessary to afford drafting multiple quarterbacks?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So his skills have been proven to translate? I am not saying they are not but can you give me evidence they do?

I see nothing that says he has inadequate skills. He's smart. I've seen several examples of him breaking down plays and discussing how to attack defenses. I've seen him protect and not turn the ball over . I heard about his accuracy in training camp.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I mentioned Hurts and some people questioned whether his skills would transfer to the NFL ?
I may have been one of those people. I don't know if I questioned it openly, but I did it privately, mostly because of him getting benched during a National Championship game.

I've seen this "skills translation" narrative batted around with various Qb's from Russell Wilson to Deshaun Watson.
When I hear it....I feel like that's the Qb to go with bcuz the pundits are usually wrong.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
If Dak is not worth the contract then why continue to go with Mitch? Dak has been much better his first few years in the NFL than Mitch so even if Mitch plays well this year, by this logic, Mitch would still not be worth it.
Dak has been better, but a lot of the love for him comes from his outstanding efficient rookie year that he has yet to come close to replicating. He has had some great weapons, the league best O line, Pro Bowl RB, and a great defense, yet averages 9-7 seasons since that year. The contract he wants is second to only Mahomes's, and he turned down an offer that would have made him the highest paid QB prior to PH's contract. So "worth it" depends greatly on the numbers.

No one wants Trubisky at 9-7 with #20 ish stats, but if they go 12-4 and he is around top 10 then you have to look hard at extending him, but not at the stupid 3's Dak wants.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
...and that's only going to get better this year. Early reports on that young receiving corps has been overwhelmingly positive. I've stated how I feel in my sig: I believe the Ravens are going to the Super Bowl this year.

With that being said, I've never been a fan of running quarterbacks due to the inevitable injuries that come along with it. You have got to get that rock out of your hands. I don't care how big and strong you are- you are eventually going to get hurt if you don't learn that lesson.

Good points. a couple things to keep in mind they also said his skills wouldn't "translate to the NFL".
And stats show, more Qb's get injured in the pocket. Now, using mobility to make plays is one thing, but I don't like the designed runs.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've seen this "skills translation" narrative batted around with various Qb's from Russell Wilson to Deshaun Watson.
When I hear it....I feel like that's the Qb to go with bcuz the pundits are usually wrong.
I've seen it before too, and sometimes it smelled a little funky. But there have been a shitload of QBs of all ethnicities that have failed in the NFL, with relatively few of them who have been successful for any length of time in the NFL, and even fewer whom I would call great.

It's a hard position to play, because in a perfect world the best ones are the ones who can assess a situation so quickly and do the right thing with the football that the defense doesn't stand a chance.

I'm personally biased against athletic QBs of any ethnicity. A lot of times athletic QBs will succeed in college but fail to make it in the pros when they're going against athletes that are bigger and faster than in college. Some athletic QBs will make it for a short while in the NFL before the injuries pile up.

That doesn't mean there aren't exceptions, but I learned my lesson with athletic QBs with Randall Cunningham. He was the ultimate weapon when he was scrambling, but when he got to Minnesota and started picking apart defenses, he was deadly.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ironically after seeing Nagy's neutered version of offensive football last season, damn near anyone would have been happy seeing Jay Cutler throwing with reckless abandon.
I'm so disappointed you did not like the over abundance of Wr bubble screens last season...

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Are you really forgetting the tight squeeze the salary cap has been? Exactly how many times in the past 5 years have the Bears had enough salary cap space or picks necessary to afford drafting multiple quarterbacks?

You are confused. We have had ample salary cap space for much of Pace's tenure. The salary cap has only become a squeeze this past year.

Further, another rookie QB would have cost lest than Chase Daniel did so there is really no logic to drafting a young QB being difficult from a cap perspective.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dak has been better, but a lot of the love for him comes from his outstanding efficient rookie year that he has yet to come close to replicating. He has had some great weapons, the league best O line, Pro Bowl RB, and a great defense, yet averages 9-7 seasons since that year. The contract he wants is second to only Mahomes's, and he turned down an offer that would have made him the highest paid QB prior to PH's contract. So "worth it" depends greatly on the numbers.

No one wants Trubisky at 9-7 with #20 ish stats, but if they go 12-4 and he is around top 10 then you have to look hard at extending him, but not at the stupid 3's Dak wants.

Yes I agree Dak has had more weapons but it isn't just his rookie year. He had almost 5k yards passing with 30 TDs and 11 Ints this past year. Most on here would have an orgasm if Trubs sniffed those numbers. Their downfall has largely been on defense no O.

I would not extend Trubs under any circumstances as to me his ceiling is Jared Goff ie system QB that fools a team into giving him 100+ million.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You are confused. We have had ample salary cap space for much of Pace's tenure. The salary cap has only become a squeeze this past year.

Further, another rookie QB would have cost lest than Chase Daniel did so there is really no logic to drafting a young QB being difficult from a cap perspective.

Yeah, drafting takes both salary cap space AND the picks. Again. In the past 5 years, when have we been in position with both to pull the trigger on two drafted QBs in short order?

Edit: Again, keep in mind the needs we had on the roster during these past years. You might maybe have one year out of the last 5 where they could have pulled it off without being irresponsible ignoring other needs to draft a 2nd QB.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah, drafting takes both salary cap space AND the picks. Again. In the past 5 years, when have we been in position with both to pull the trigger on two drafted QBs in short order?

Edit: Again, keep in mind the needs we had on the roster during these past years. You might maybe have one year out of the last 5 where they could have pulled it off without being irresponsible ignoring other needs to draft a 2nd QB.

When the Skins were rebuilding, did they not take both RGIII and Cousins. You can't on one had excuse all the Pace early years as rebuilding then on the other argue that you can't possibly take 2 QBs during a rebuild. It is an absurd position.

A rebuilding team shouldn't be drafting for need because by definition they have needs all over the fucking field as otherwise they wouldn't be rebuilding. You take BPA within reason so the more relevant question is whether a QB was a better BPA pick than the guy we took instead.

Given the value a QB has over any other position, I find it hard to believe that Pace had no chance to ever draft a QB. That is just making excuses. We knew Cutler was not the answer so we could have drafted a QB every year since we determined that and groomed him to succeed. We know this is true because in several of those years, Pace was rumored to be looking at QBs.

We literally had three 4th rounds in 2016 and you going to seriously pretend we had to take Kwia, Hall, and Bush and not a one of those picks could have been used on Dak? That is absurd.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Yes I agree Dak has had more weapons but it isn't just his rookie year. He had almost 5k yards passing with 30 TDs and 11 Ints this past year. Most on here would have an orgasm if Trubs sniffed those numbers. Their downfall has largely been on defense no O.

I would not extend Trubs under any circumstances as to me his ceiling is Jared Goff ie system QB that fools a team into giving him 100+ million.
He was also only 4 passes short of 600 for the season. Those numbers were Stafford stats, bloated and overvalued. Prescott has been a bit above average in the most QB friendly position this side of KC. Mahomes has taken full advantage of his gifted position to become a true franchise QB, Prescott has done what 15 other QB's could do in the same situation. I hope DAL gives him the money, because he is the pyrite of NFL QB's at the moment.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
When the Skins were rebuilding, did they not take both RGIII and Cousins. You can't on one had excuse all the Pace early years as rebuilding then on the other argue that you can't possibly take 2 QBs during a rebuild. It is an absurd position.
Never seen anyone use the Redskins as the model for NFL rebuilding. What did you forget about Buffalo?