Jalen Hurts

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
We could have and should have drafted a young QB at some point in the last 3 years. Even a mid to late rounder gives us a shot at finding something. It would be a lot cheaper and with more upside then bringing in a Foles. So money and a draft pick spent on Foles that could have been used to do this. So money or draft pick was not the issue as too why we did nothing.

PS. Foles vet presence and experience fit this teems need for this season. If he is needed. But it does not excuse Pace/Nagy for not drafting at the QB position.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He was also only 4 passes short of 600 for the season. Those numbers were Stafford stats, bloated and overvalued. Prescott has been a bit above average in the most QB friendly position this side of KC. Mahomes has taken full advantage of his gifted position to become a true franchise QB, Prescott has done what 15 other QB's could do in the same situation. I hope DAL gives him the money, because he is the pyrite of NFL QB's at the moment.

Yes but what I am saying is dont't think Teubs is close to being one of those 15. The dude's numbers in a clean pocket are still bad relaticve to his peers.

I am not advocating for Dak. I am saying if Dak is not worth it, I see no reason Trubs will be as Dak still looks like he can read defenses and play QB much better than Trubs even when you account for differences in talent.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Never seen anyone use the Redskins as the model for NFL rebuilding. What did you forget about Buffalo?

Rebuilding a whole team no. But they were right to take two QBs because when RGIII failed, Cousins picked up the slack.

If the Bears had a Cousins as a backup rather than Daniel we probably make the playoffs both years and get a 1st round bye.

A rebuilding team should give themselves as many opportunities to find a franchise QB as reasonably possible. Pace did not do that.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If by picked up the slack you mean choking in every game worth a shit. Sure.

You seem to think I'm defending Pace here. No. He wears his fuck ups equally as much as his successes. I'm pretty even neutral on him right now. Neither a good nor bad GM. He's dropped down to average.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

You seem to think I'm defending Pace here. No. He wears his fuck ups equally as much as his successes. I'm pretty even neutral on him right now. Neither a good nor bad GM. He's dropped down to average.

He is still miles better than Daniel. He also played quite well against the Saints last year so a bit of hyperbole.

If you really going to pretend a Cousins type QB as a backup to Mitch would not benefit us then it is clear you are being delusional.

The discussion is not about his being elite. It is about whether there is value in taking multiple stabs at QB and Cousins as a 3rd rounder has far exceeded his draft status as well as outplayed Trubs much less Daniel.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He is still miles better than Daniel. He also played quite well against the Saints last year so a bit of hyperbole.

If you really going to pretend a Cousins type QB as a backup to Mitch would not benefit us then it is clear you are being delusional.

The discussion is not about his being elite. It is about whether there is value in taking multiple stabs at QB and Cousins as a 3rd rounder has far exceeded his draft status as well as outplayed Trubs much less Daniel.

When Cousins level quarterbacks cost as much as he is being paid...who exactly is delusional again?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Clearly any team has the ability to do it. Still doesn't happen much at all.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I've seen it before too, and sometimes it smelled a little funky. But there have been a shitload of QBs of all ethnicities that have failed in the NFL, with relatively few of them who have been successful for any length of time in the NFL, and even fewer whom I would call great.

It's a hard position to play, because in a perfect world the best ones are the ones who can assess a situation so quickly and do the right thing with the football that the defense doesn't stand a chance.

I'm personally biased against athletic QBs of any ethnicity. A lot of times athletic QBs will succeed in college but fail to make it in the pros when they're going against athletes that are bigger and faster than in college. Some athletic QBs will make it for a short while in the NFL before the injuries pile up.

That doesn't mean there aren't exceptions, but I learned my lesson with athletic QBs with Randall Cunningham. He was the ultimate weapon when he was scrambling, but when he got to Minnesota and started picking apart defenses, he was deadly.

Again good well thought out points on your preference of non- athletic Qb’s. And learning your lesson with athletic Qb’s.

So regardless of “ethnicity “ I’ve always favored the mobile, play-making Qb . ..going back to Fran Tarkenton when I was a kid.

And Later mobile Qb’s…..Rodger Staubach, Jeff Zorn, Joe Theisman (injured in the pocket), Warren Moon, Mark Brunell, Michael Vick (injured in the pocket), Doug Flutie ((respect this guy so much ), Donovan McNabb (he abandoned he’s mobility to fit into ‘pocket passing’) Steve Young ( I think he has the highest Qb rating all-time), Randall Cunningham( injured in the pocket) and John Elway. I’m missing others.

On Cunningham….he didn’t have good Qb coaching in Philly. Dennis Green( Minn) was much more cerebral from Qb a standpoint for Cunningham . Vick in Philly under Andy Reid (was much more cerebral from a Qb standpoint.)
Good Qb coaching matters. I think Hurts is getting this under Pederson, a former Qb

So my point, for me, the mobile Qb is the complete Qb. Ya gotta be able to make plays in or outta of the pocket. Ya gotta be able to pick up that first down. Ya gotta be able to buy time for the wr’s. NO I do not like designed run, where D can take shots at the Qb. Don’t like Qb option runs.

In Chicago, our OL dictates…..we have a mobile Qb.

Last edited:

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I said often before the draft I hoped Pace would take Hurts. A lot of people disagreed. That said, preseason play means nothing if you can’t perform consistently on the field in real games. He has always seemed to be a hard worker and a team first player. I hope he does well.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Clearly any team has the ability to do it. Still doesn't happen much at all.

Browns just did it with Manziel, Kizer, and Mayfield. Cards with Rosen and Murray. Titans did Mariotta, Falk and McDonald. Eagles just got Hurts even with Wentz. Jets did Hackenberg, Darnold and Morgan. Bills did Allen and Fromm. Jags did Lutton and Minshew

So not sure your premise is correct. Those are just the ones I did a quick check on but teams have clearly drafted multiple QBs within 5 years of each other and sometimes in succession.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Did the Bears miss on yet ANOTHER good young QB?

Hurts is getting RAVE reviews both nationally and locally in Philly.

I've been beating this drum for years now... but Pace's refusal to take swings at the QB position in the draft will be his downfall.

QB's the Bears could have taken:

2016 Prescott
2017 (The one year he takes a QB he fucks it up)
2018 Jackson
2019 Minshew
2020 Hurts (?)

Sorry to interupt the annual "Mitch looks like a different player circle jerk",

but I've seen this story one too many times:

Bears go 7-9. (new GM time) (new QB time)

Philly in the playoffs making a run behind rookie phenom Jalen Hurts. (after a Wentz injury)

National media: "How did the Bears pass on this guy TWICE in the second round?"
No.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Who knows how Hurts will turn out as a pro. But I never could understand how some people were so low on Hurts, who played at Bama and Oklahoma at a very high level, and then think Jordan Love was such a great QB prospect, who put up one year of good stats at Utah State.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Who knows how Hurts will turn out as a pro. But I never could understand how some people were so low on Hurts, who played at Bama and Oklahoma at a very high level, and then think Jordan Love was such a great QB prospect, who put up one year of good stats at Utah State.

Hurts stock dropped cause he was real bad in the senior bowl and college bowl game. I mean real bad. Bad Rex Bad. Bad Mitch Bad. Stinky bad, Horribad even. Did I mention he was bad?

In the 1st half vs LSU in a nationally televised bowl game, he was 5 of 18 for 100 yards. He then followed that up with a 6 of 13 for 58 yard performance in the senior bowl when there are usually a ton of scouts there as well.

Because Hurts was so bad vs Joe Burrow led LSU, the ball kept going back to LSU as Oklahoma had no offense. LSU put up 49 points in the 1st half due to Oklahoma's inability to move the ball.

Last edited:

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What could have been? Jalen Hurts to Tanner Gentry to win the Super Bowl. Fuck me.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

You totally are caping 4 pace in this thread. Scroll up, there are posts you made all sorts of excuses for him not drafting QBs besides mitch.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
All you have to do is watch him play a lot. Against Big12 competition, where OU's players were almost always across the board better than their opponents' players, he crushed. But it was like a very good golfer playing an easy course. Lots of shallow crosses against really soft zones that got taken for big yards. Huge holes up the seam. Very little M2M. Rarely moving past the first read or being moved off his spot and not tucking it and running - he's a good athlete but he's not going make his bones running in the NFL. Their offense just put so much stress on defense that just didn't have the talent to match up. I will say dude has great intangibles and a very nice deep ball.

Then watch him against LSU. LSU had DBs that could match OU's WRs. They got up and played press cover1 and they were able to pressure sometimes. Hurts was lost. He had trouble going to his second read. Tucked early repeatedly. Put off his spot and never recovered. The one great throw he made in the first half was deep ball down the left side on (iirc) a broken play. Great throw.

I think he went about where he should have. I thought he was a 3rd round developmental player. I hope he does well, seems like a great guy and definitely someone who you want to have on your team.