Joe Maddon Coming to Cubs?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Boras has his clients prove their worth in F/A. It would be stupid to trade 3 weeks for 1 year...very stupid.
Worry about winning and less about a few bucks that only happens if the player can ya know play

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
He did his job. Period

Point here is meeting expectations often isn't enough. You may think it's a cold move but that's baseball. Let me put it this way, as a sox fan would you want them to fire Robin and hire Rick because he "did his job?" Obviously Theo has been given some leeway but at some point whether he stays or is fired will come down to wins and losses. Who would you rather have over the next 5 years? Maddon who's largely regard as a top 5 manager and possibly higher depending on who you talk about or someone who's record thus far is 73-89?

Also, I fail to see how this really hurts Rick to begin with. As far as we are aware, no one else was on the path to hiring him as a manager last year. Had Maddon been available last year clearly the cubs would have hired him then in which case Rick would still be a coach with the Padres but not a manager. The cubs gave him likely a million or two dollars and experience for hopefully his next job as a manager two things he wouldn't have gotten regardless. Clearly we know the cubs wanted more of a high profile hire because they went after Girardi first and foremost but when he backed out they were left with not much else. So, if Rick didn't see the writing on the wall to begin with then he's quite naive. He is and always was a bridge to a higher profile hire unless he went out and greatly exceeded expectations.

Again, you can say he "did his job" but did Quade not do his job in arguably a worse situation winning at a higher rate? Still wasn't enough to keep him a job. Why? Because that's baseball(and sports in general).

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Worry about winning and less about a few bucks that only happens if the player can ya know play

not abut $$$. About him being a F/A in 2021 vs 2022. Teams have control for 7 years. They are not going to start his clock early and knock it down to 6 years of control. That is why Boras complaned about not giving Bryant playing time. Earlier payday. That is why they had to sign Bryant at slot. Boras would not budge.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They weren't a hell of a team. They were a good team that overachieved (Pinella did an excellent job) during the regular season and came crashing back down to earth in the playoffs.

the 08 team was pretty bad ass. any cub fan who thinks the 08 team was anything less didnt watch baseball.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
'08 cubs were for sure badass (until it mattered). Winning nearly 100 games and being the favorite going into the post-season seems so long ago....

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
the 08 team was pretty bad ass. any cub fan who thinks the 08 team was anything less didnt watch baseball.

Except I watched just about every game that season and was really into the team. They were a good team, not a "hell of a team" as you put it.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
'08 cubs were for sure badass (until it mattered). Winning nearly 100 games and being the favorite going into the post-season seems so long ago....

I can't use the word "badass" to describe a team that got swept out in the first round.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
not abut $$$. About him being a F/A in 2021 vs 2022. Teams have control for 7 years. They are not going to start his clock early and knock it down to 6 years of control. That is why Boras complaned about not giving Bryant playing time. Earlier payday. That is why they had to sign Bryant at slot. Boras would not budge.
If it about when he becomes a FA, then its useless to wait because if he becomes the ballplayer we all hope he becomes he going to be extended beyond those years anyways. .

Bryant has solid years in 2015 and 2016, he most likely will be offered a 6 or 7 year deal...

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets

I really thought the Cubs were going to win it all that year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If it about when he becomes a FA, then its useless to wait because if he becomes the ballplayer we all hope he becomes he going to be extended beyond those years anyways. .

Bryant has solid years in 2015 and 2016, he most likely will be offered a 6 or 7 year deal...

dUDE bORAS DOESN'T DO EXTENTIONS. hE HAS HIS PLAYERS HIT f/a.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The fact he signed for slot tells us that Boras will play hard ball.

This is nothing new going on. It is common practice for teams to wait until they get 7 years of control. We just say Houston do the same last year. They held Rizzo back to gain control. But he is not reped by Boras and he extended. Castro not reped by Boras.

Guys that are: Bryant, Almora and Arrieta. Trust me all 3 will most likely hit F/A. Not that doesn't mean bye bye but it means that their values will be dictated by the open marked value vs a team friendly deal.

Considering how cheap the Ricketts have been I wouldn't mind seeing them squirm when the bell tolls.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Regardless , Last year the cut off date was around Apr 17. So that is around week 3. I see them using Valbuena as the 3B for that 3 week run.

What they have to do is improve LF. That has higher priority. That is a position they can invest into with a proven player.

Now with what Maddon has said about over valuing BB and dragging out AB's it makes me thing he would put a 1/2 of Alcantara and Castro. He wants spark plugs and speed more so than higher balls seen per AB.

So that would start things off at:

Alcantara
Castro
Rizzo

They have Soler as a natural 4 hitter and Baez behind him. Bryant most likely becomes the 4 hitter by May. So what they could use is a LH power bat in LF to split up Soler, Bryant and Baez. Schwarber is a year out or more so it makes sense. Melky Cabrera still makes sense here. More so than a lead off plus he makes good contact. Actually he stands out here.

So if they were smart they should invest into Melky. I would expect 5 years and 50 mil to hit 5-6 in the line up.

IMO signing Maddon signles that they are serious about contending now. Add to it there are plenty of players that would play under Maddon. Even Peavy went out and shot his mouth off about it. But if him and Lester come over with Cabrera in LF this team starts to look the part.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:

I thought the 2003 team was much better, but yeah that team was good. Their rotation didn't stack up in October

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
I thought the 2003 team was much better, but yeah that team was good. Their rotation didn't stack up in October

The 2003 starting rotation was badass for sure. To this day, I'm still confused as to how they lost. Although almost all my anger is towards Alex Gonzalez.. he's the one who really cost the Cubs Game 6.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
The 2003 starting rotation was badass for sure. To this day, I'm still confused as to how they lost. Although almost all my anger is towards Alex Gonzalez.. he's the one who really cost the Cubs Game 6.

I think the whole thing might not have unraveled if Alou keeps it together after the Bartman incident...

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

Yeap! A Sunday hop double play that if turned like pros turn it, the Cubs go to the ninth with a 3-1 lead. But......!