Joe Maddon Coming to Cubs?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For the record I'm not a fan of Ricky's management style. He puts too much into a outdated speed type system vs a modern OBA system.

His management of the pen well his pen had pitch limits due to being so young. So that to me is of a lesser concern.

My main concern is him putting low OBA types ahead of Soler and Rizzo. That nets less run production.

Maddon falls under the same rule as Joe Gur. If he wants to manage the Cubs you make it happen. Until that point status que.

I agree with you but he was limited to the players he had and other than Coghlan who led off most of the time, he didn't have much as far as OBP. I think Renteria did an OK job but if there is someone better, the Cubs will be kicking themselves if they don't get him and this young group turns into contenders. That's the big thing right there...it's on the players, a good 90% of everything falls into their lap. You can have the greatest baseball mind in history leading you but the performance of the players trumps everything.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
He would hire his former bench coach Dave Martinez as his first hire.

Maybe but I'm guessing Martinez stays in Tampa Bay and becomes the skipper. The guy has interviewed for at least a dozen jobs and will probably have to take a bad job to get a good one.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's done more with less, yes. I like Bosio, very underrated and I'm glad he stuck around. Deer, Sveum, and Bosio were all Milwaukee guys if I recall.

But say Maddon wants to bring his guy Jim Hickey, another of the better regarded pitching coaches i nthe game along? Do you cut Bosio then?

That, and the organization would look pretty shitty if they shit-canned Mallee what, a month after hiring the guy at hitting coach for whoever Joe Maddon wants at hitting coach.

Though Maddon doesn't strike me as a guy who will come in and demand whatever he wants. He strikes me as a guy who wants the right situation with a team willing to spend and put it all together soon. Cubs benefit here. Good farm about to come up and lots of money to spend in a month or so. Hopefully.

And FWIW, Dave Righetti, Don Cooper, Mike Maddux, and Roger McDowell are the best pitching coaches in the MLB. Bosio not far behind.

Everybody has an opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Maddon would bring in Ozzie as his 3rd base coach. ....

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Maddon would bring in Ozzie as his 3rd base coach. ....

If that was the case, I would quickly change my plea to get Maddon. I could never stomach Ozzie being anywhere near the Cubs.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If that was the case, I would quickly change my plea to get Maddon. I could never stomach Ozzie being anywhere near the Cubs.

why? because he won a WS with the sox? won a WS as a base coach with the Marlins? He thinks Wrigley is a dump? cmon dude

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

TL1961

Liked Posts:
why? because he won a WS with the sox? won a WS as a base coach with the Marlins? He thinks Wrigley is a dump? cmon dude

Because he is a racist, profane, borderline-psycho individual who doubles as an attention whore.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I actually always found him kind of amusing and if I had been the Tigers last year or the Dodgers this year (pre Maddon availability) I would have hired him in a heartbeat. I think he has about two year, three at the most, shelf life but I think with a veteran team he could help you win especially for a team with a short championship window.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I found Ozzie funny but would not want him to manage my favorite team. I met him at the All-Star Game this year, he is definitely a guy that embraces attention

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It's exactly what the young Cubs need. Someone to take the attention away from the players. They can then deal w just baseball instead of baseball and the media

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Come on, Ozzie is an annoying dick head and you know it.

he was fine until the last 2 years of his tenure. he did everything he could to irritate KW. that was his goal.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ozzie's children.

I don't blame any fan base that wouldn't want Ozzie hanging around.

thats the problem. his kids are too involved with their "opinions". the one who i battled on twitter for for years is an idiot

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Oney, right? What a fucktarded assclown

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Typical cubs board post.... Topic about the cubs signing joe maddon turns into a debate about a former white sox manager...

I honestly couldn't care less about Ozzie so long as he wasn't managing because at the end of the day if he's the bench coach or 3rd base coach or whatever, what impact do those positions ever have? Can anyone even name the cardinals staff outside of their manager?

As for on topic, supposedly there's talk about teams going after the cubs for tampering if they sign Maddon which I don't get at all. From everything I read, Maddon didn't even know he had an out clause until tampa told him after AF left. Perhaps you could argue that after he found that out he talked to some clubs to gauge interest but good luck actually proving that. It's sounding like a pretty solid lock that Maddon is coming to the cubs from the stuff I've read. Would definitely give them a bump for the casual fan I'd imagine especially if he comes with some premium FA's.