Justin Fields or Caleb Williams?

What would you do with first overall pick?

• Trade Fields and draft Caleb Williams

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Trade #1 overall pick (big value back) and take Fields

Votes: 58 67.4%
  • Draft Williams and take Fields, put them in competition

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters

Rise

Liked Posts:
Can we get more context on this? What does playing like the last two weeks look like at the end of the season? Stats + wins total would be what?

It’s so hard to answer today so I can only go off of what I know. I’m a huge Fields fan, been supporting him since day 1 and I love that he is having success lately. That said I can’t pass on Caleb Williams + the cap savings + the return on Fields (2 1sts maybe?).

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I honestly don't get the Caleb hype, but I am not pretending to be a QB guru.

I keep Justin Fields and trade down again to set the franchise up with a ridiculous amount of draft picks to build back a real defense.

If the Bears cannot develop Justin Fields, they ain't doing any better with Williams or Maye. Find yourself a steady vet quarterback that can do just enough not to lose games and go back to the Super Bowl the only way this team knows how. Soul crushing defense and a top rushing offense.
He’s overhyped IMO and not some grand slam prospect. He is lighting up garbage defenses and consistently has freeway sized pockets and all day to throw. A lot of his plays are off script. I haven’t seen many instances of him operating in the pocket under pressure. Having Lincoln Riley doesn’t hurt either.

Immensely talented, but extremely difficult to evaluate based on the above. Anytime he faces a halfway decent defense, he doesn’t look great. I think there’s a good chance Maye ends up being the better pro but obviously QB evals are extremely difficult and teams fuck it up every year

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I didnt see a generational talent against Arizona

I'm just saying. Caleb will not be all sunshine and no struggles. Fields is already going through that and coming out better for it.

Way too early to move on from Fields

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If Fields keeps playing like he has the last two weeks, which is far better than anything he did last year, I'm not sure you could go with the unknown in Caleb. That said, one thing to also consider with Caleb is resetting the rookie contract at the QB. I'm not sure you can go with the unknown if Fields truly balls out, but I want Fields to force Pace into a very difficult decision because the Bears will probably get a haul back regardless in that case.

So do you see what CJ Stroud is doing? Have you previously seen what Joe Burrow Andrew Luck Patrick Mahomes Trevor Lawrence have done within their first two years in the NFL?

Do you want to continually hope to have the right WR in place or do you want a guy that's still going to play at a high level despite the lack of talent around him?

Justin Fields is playing well over two games for one reason. If that reason gets hurt he's going back to being one of the worst QBs in the NFL.

It's fantastic that DJ Moore is playing so well but someone else is going to have to stop up and play well too for this to continue.

I know I'm stating the obvious here but it's like everyone is ignoring the obvious. If DJ Moore gets hurt the Bears still suck. If DJ Moore doesn't get hurt the Bears teeter between decent and horrible. I'd rather teeter between decent and great.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So do you see what CJ Stroud is doing? Have you previously seen what Joe Burrow Andrew Luck Patrick Mahomes Trevor Lawrence have done within their first two years in the NFL?

Do you want to continually hope to have the right WR in place or do you want a guy that's still going to play at a high level despite the lack of talent around him?

Justin Fields is playing well over two games for one reason. If that reason gets hurt he's going back to being one of the worst QBs in the NFL.

It's fantastic that DJ Moore is playing so well but someone else is going to have to stop up and play well too for this to continue.

I know I'm stating the obvious here but it's like everyone is ignoring the obvious. If DJ Moore gets hurt the Bears still suck. If DJ Moore doesn't get hurt the Bears teeter between decent and horrible. I'd rather teeter between decent and great.
He's averaged 41 YPG in the last 2. That's less than 700 yards per season and far from unreasonable or dangerous if he actually tries to avoid excessive contact. Lots more likely to get hurt behind the LOS.

The question is whether he can maintain this level of play over time and against better Ds. Too early to know but if he continues to play like last week, you keep the bird in the hand. Resetting the QB clock is risky business when you don't know what the next one brings and I don't care how certain anyone is about Caleb, it's not a sure thing.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have to see what the rest of the year looks like. If this was indeed a real leap in his abilities, putting it all together, and not a fluke, then I'd trade back out of the 1.01 and make sure to get Harrison. As we can see, having DJM as a WR1 has changed a lot of things. I'm also hearing Bowers is an elite TE and ours are...okay? But really, I'd take Harrison with our first pick and then go DE/OL with the 2nd. And then keep working on the DE/OL for the rest of the draft. I saw a stat that if KC let their opponents put up the same points our DEF did, they'd be 2-12. So we need some OL help and definitely want Harrison but the rest needs to go toward DEF and specifically DE/DL.

JD Trendleton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. LA Clippers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Florida Gators
Justin Fields and trade for Harrison and picks, easy winning. The Bears have the luxury of waiting and seeing how Fields plays before making any decisions. I'm looking for 30 TD/15 INT max for Fields which I think is achievable, if he can do that keep him, anything less and we're having some serious discussions.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It doesn't look like we'll have the #1 pick at this rate, especially given how shitty some other teams are looking.

But, could you image have the #1 overall pick in back to back years and trading down twice lol. Would be unprecedented.

Also, that might speak to how good Fields is or is not lol
Hopefully ours is not #1 overall, but Carolina’s is…

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:

There's a fairly realistic scenario where the bears come out of the draft with MHJ. There's your Jamar Chase/Tee Higgins and if one goes down you still have the other.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The good news is the Bears have 12 more games to play before making that decision unless they plan on moving Fields before the trade deadline, which I give virtually zero chance.

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He's averaged 41 YPG in the last 2. That's less than 700 yards per season and far from unreasonable or dangerous if he actually tries to avoid excessive contact. Lots more likely to get hurt behind the LOS.

The question is whether he can maintain this level of play over time and against better Ds. Too early to know but if he continues to play like last week, you keep the bird in the hand. Resetting the QB clock is risky business when you don't know what the next one brings and I don't care how certain anyone is about Caleb, it's not a sure thing.
He's not going to keep this up. They've done this before, last year and then they hit the wall again.

It's as if people don't think NFL teams aren't going to make the adjustment to take Moore away.

Once Moore is taken away who is Fields going to throw to?

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There's a fairly realistic scenario where the bears come out of the draft with MHJ. There's your Jamar Chase/Tee Higgins and if one goes down you still have the other.
If they can get both Williams and Harrison they'll be well on their way. If they get Harrison only and Fields is still your QB they're screwed.

This Justin Fields flash is like the Rex Grossman flash. We've seen this before. There's 28 games where Justin Fields has looked like the same QB he's always been and then there's two games of this. He didn't just wake up one morning and become a great QB.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

"Justin Fields is playing well over two games for one reason. If that reason gets hurt he's going back to being one of the worst QBs in the NFL."

JF played well last season without Moore, but the defense gave away points.
I see u continue to leave out the poor offensive coaching....Getsy

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Justin Fields and trade for Harrison and picks, easy winning. The Bears have the luxury of waiting and seeing how Fields plays before making any decisions. I'm looking for 30 TD/15 INT max for Fields which I think is achievable, if he can do that keep him, anything less and we're having some serious discussions.
Oh I can dream. If Fields shows he’s the guy, and the Bears Trade down with Carolina’s hopeful #1, and end up with MHJ, Bowers, and a high ceiling, speedy and long edge, like Verse.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Fields still has another year before getting paid. Unless he proves he isn't good you trade the #1 and put off the decision for another year.
Get a WR and EDGE with the 1sts. Hopefully a Center with the 2nd (and/or FA). Those 3 positions go a very long way to fixing this team.

Then you see how much that helps Fields score and if the defense with pass rush can still manage to give leads away.

With 2 1sts again in '25 draft you can still move where ever you need to take whatever QB you want to replace Fields with. I can almost guarantee there will be another very hyped up QB for that draft too.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
If they can get both Williams and Harrison they'll be well on their way. If they get Harrison only and Fields is still your QB they're screwed.

This Justin Fields flash is like the Rex Grossman flash. We've seen this before. There's 28 games where Justin Fields has looked like the same QB he's always been and then there's two games of this. He didn't just wake up one morning and become a great QB.
All of that remains to be seen. I'm keen on Williams for sure. But Rex and Fields are two totally different animals. But you keep banging that drum. You're also kinda all over place. As one of maybe 3 people on the planet not impressed with Williams skillet but know your calling for it. I get that he didn't have an amazing showing vs your team. But ive seen you question shit like his ball velocity, said no one ever. Frankly its absurd.

Lastly, Brett. Being in your late 30s Early 40s and having a bit on the Internet is some of the saddest shit I can imagine. Talk about the opposite of evolving as a human. There was a time (even though you've always been a douche canoe) that it was fun to actually talk ball with you.

Last edited:

coolio

Liked Posts:
Justin Jefferson on IR next 4 weeks. Vikings could be in the running for that pick. Especially if they start trading away pieces

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:
Caleb Williams is easily the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck. IF Fields continues to improve and maintains that level of play you might consider passing on Williams. Right now, no way. Williams is special.

Basically, unless Fields leaves no doubt that he is the guy over the rest of the season it would be criminal to pass on Williams. Two good games is definitely not enough. Need to see him play better than he has week in and week out.