Justin Fields or Caleb Williams?

What would you do with first overall pick?

• Trade Fields and draft Caleb Williams

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Trade #1 overall pick (big value back) and take Fields

Votes: 58 67.4%
  • Draft Williams and take Fields, put them in competition

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters

swerskisuperfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Williams has better pocket awareness, much better at going through progressions, is exceptional under pressure (Fields was terrible in college under pressure) and better passing in the short game where Fields struggles.
Williams

Weaknesses​

• Struggled to play within the offense’s timing, sometimes due to poor blocking and other times because he wanted to extend the play for bigger opportunities. Williams must find a better balance when the game flow calls for it.
  • Prone to getting happy feet and breaking out of the pocket before it’s necessary.
  • Can find a better balance between being a playmaker and taking the easier throw to extend drives. This can become a bigger weakness due to a lack of anticipation or pre-snap understanding of coverages.
  • His size is not ideal, lacking height and a fuller frame than his peers.

The biggest area Williams can prove himself is as an anticipatory passer on three- and five-step drops. Riley hasn’t prioritized this because Williams is trusted to be even more effective when breaking the play’s design.

Williams shows good instincts and vision when he plays within the scheme, but I want to see more of it to know whether it’s an actual weakness or something he decides against using more.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
personally I don't trust people named Caleb. let's give Fields the rest of the season first.

That's like my issue with Grossman looking like an ex-boss of mine. Was I wrong?

If the Bears have the #1, Poles should be able to get 6 assets. He got 5 in exchange (2, firsts, 2, seconds, and DJ Moore) for Bryce Young but Caleb Williams is significantly more valuable than Bryce. Is something like Fields, 3, first round picks, and 3, 2nd round picks > Caleb Williams? That’s what needs to be weighed.

Also the unknown of any rookie. There are no guarantees. It would be Fields being a mostly known commodity plus what he cost vs an unknown.

There's also 4 years on a rookie contract price vs a 5th option of $23-$38m for Fields or whatever his contract negotiations would end up as.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He's not going to keep this up. They've done this before, last year and then they hit the wall again.

It's as if people don't think NFL teams aren't going to make the adjustment to take Moore away.

Once Moore is taken away who is Fields going to throw to?
Last year during the stretch before “they hit the wall” the bears were averaging 25 points a game . Fields accounting for 16 tds himself. I’d go with him throwing to other players on the bears

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Williams has better pocket awareness, much better at going through progressions, is exceptional under pressure (Fields was terrible in college under pressure) and better passing in the short game where Fields struggles.

And still struggles with Arizona last weekend

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Williams

Weaknesses​

• Struggled to play within the offense’s timing, sometimes due to poor blocking and other times because he wanted to extend the play for bigger opportunities. Williams must find a better balance when the game flow calls for it.
  • Prone to getting happy feet and breaking out of the pocket before it’s necessary.
  • Can find a better balance between being a playmaker and taking the easier throw to extend drives. This can become a bigger weakness due to a lack of anticipation or pre-snap understanding of coverages.

The biggest area Williams can prove himself is as an anticipatory passer on three- and five-step drops. Riley hasn’t prioritized this because Williams is trusted to be even more effective when breaking the play’s design.

Williams shows good instincts and vision when he plays within the scheme, but I want to see more of it to know whether it’s an actual weakness or something he decides against using more.

Literally just read this, I guess Remy is doing the ol eye test or something

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’d go with him throwing to other players on the bears

I mean has he forgotten that Cole Kmet also caught a dozen passes & three TDs the last two weeks as well???

If Mooney gets out of his funk, this could finally morph into real NFL passing game.

THERIOT2

Liked Posts:
With a defense that's rebuilt the next Brock Purdy could work. I myself want to see what Bagent can do if Fields were to crash and burn.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I mean has he forgotten that Cole Kmet also caught a dozen passes & three TDs the last two weeks as well???

If Mooney gets out of his funk, this could finally morph into real NFL passing game.

I know he’s not Kelce but Kmet gets shit on so much.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It was one game. The guy has enough good skins on the wall to be afforded a bad game. Even Mahomes does that.
My point is that it will probably transfer to the NFL and he will go through his struggles as well. Whether he comes out the other side an elite QB, a good one or doesn't pan out at all isn't a guarantee

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know he’s not Kelce but Kmet gets shit on so much.

The only thing I hate more than Big10 QBs is any player out of Notre Dame, so I really want to hate both Fields & Kmet.

They are winning me over these last couple of weeks, but the doubt in my heart is still creeping.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Williams

Weaknesses​

No idea who this guy is but report makes no sense when looking at actually data. Williams passer rating under pressure is 110 while Fields was 54.1

The mean difference between the two is Williams extends plays and is consistently successful doing so. Fields main issue is that while he extends plays he hasnt shown in college or the NFL that he can have consistent success doing so hence why his passer rating under pressure sucks. He makes too many mistakes when he extends plays.

Last edited:

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Oh I can dream. If Fields shows he’s the guy, and the Bears Trade down with Carolina’s hopeful #1, and end up with MHJ, Bowers, and a high ceiling, speedy and long edge, like Verse.
That’s only happening if you convince Arizona to give you their 2 1sts next year

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:
Mahomes scouting report negatives...

Can be inconsistent in his approach
Needs to play inside the offense and show more discipline
Too eager to go big game hunting
Ravenous appetite for the explosive play can also bring unwanted trouble
Willingness to default to playground style appears to limit his ability to get into a consistent rhythm
Needs to improve anticipatory reads and learn to take what the defense gives him
Decision making can go from good to bad in a moment's notice
Operates from a narrow base and allows his upper body and arm to race ahead of his feet
Has a dip and wind-up in his standard release
Explosive delivery and follow-through causes some throws to sail
Needs better touch on intermediate and deep balls
Carries ball a little low in the pocket
Impatient
Will leave pocket prematurely rather than standing in and winning in rhythm
Better as a scrambler than pure runner
Looked a little less mobile in the open field this season

Bust!

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
One QB seems to be ascending while the other hasn't looked great recently.

Fields - 617yards, 8 TDs, 1 INT, 67% against actual NFL teams the last 2 weeks.

Meanwhile Caleb Williams passes for 216 yards and 1 TD, 56% complete against an unranked 3-3 team in the PAC 12. 🤣