Kellen Mond

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think its funny Bears fans want this guy but he was just as inaccurate on deep throws as Mitch was and showed very little improvement there

Luke

Liked Posts:
I think its funny Bears fans want this guy but he was just as inaccurate on deep throws as Mitch was and showed very little improvement there

yeah, I don't get it either. He's not accurate (career 59%) and will be a game manager backup QB.

Zierlein also indicates that:

- Deep throws are often flat and overthrown.

- Completed just 35 percent of intermediate throws outside the numbers (and 26 percent of deep throws outside numbers) in 2020 (which goes hand in hand with the flat deep tosses).

- Highly inconsistent in working with anticipation.

- Shies away from big-play opportunities to take shorter throws.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
yeah, I don't get it either. He's not accurate (career 59%) and will be a game manager backup QB.

Zierlein also indicates that:

- Deep throws are often flat and overthrown.

- Completed just 35 percent of intermediate throws outside the numbers (and 26 percent of deep throws outside numbers) in 2020 (which goes hand in hand with the flat deep tosses).

- Highly inconsistent in working with anticipation.

- Shies away from big-play opportunities to take shorter throws.

Translation- we are looking at a ceiling of Teddy Bridgewater and a floor of Tony Banks

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yeah I think he's kind of a Tyrod Taylor level player at his ceiling. Probably not quite as fast or as dangerous on the ground. Will be cautious to an extreme.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's more athletic and with a stronger arm than Bridgewater but his decision making and accuracy/anticipation are weaker. He may work out because they are difficult to project but he looks like a guy that may have some trouble acclimating to the next level and why he ran so hot and cold. If we take a Qb in 2, I suspect it will be Mills and we can all have fun calling Pace and the McCaskeys racist to blow off steam.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Translation- we are looking at a ceiling of Teddy Bridgewater and a floor of Tony Banks

Mond is not nearly as accurate as Teddy B coming out of college, he was a career 68.4% at Louisville.
He should be nowhere close to a starting level QB. Pace can't waste a day 2 pick on him when he needs so much help this year.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I realize everyone’s sick of the Bears not taking quarterbacks, not taking swings.

But looking at how the Bears are unlikely to get one of the top guys this year and looking at this upcoming season’s schedule, wouldn’t you guys rather the Bears go BPA and shore up their line, and just take a crack at a better QB next year when they’ll be drafting earlier?

I think I’d rather have a 2022 top tier QB than a 2021 second tier QB.

Who says they will be drafting significantly earlier?

The Bears are taking a QB early. This regime has to show some hope for the future.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Who says they will be drafting significantly earlier?

The Bears are taking a QB early. This regime has to show some hope for the future.

Take what you think they should do out of the equation, and sub in what they’re actually likely to do based on past history and their traits.

Pinning your hopes on a low-tier QB who’s not going to succeed at the NFL level isn’t going to help anyone. Sure, anything is possible in regard to whether Mond or Trask might work out, but based on their skill sets, it seems much less likely than if you were able to get one of the top QBs.

Connect the dots. There’s no way a Trask or Mond contribute significantly for the Bears this coming season. We already know Dalton is QB1, and those guys are development guys.

Since those are development guys, unless you just give up on them without them seeing meaningful playing time, you’re not also drafting a QB early next year.

Competent GMs might, because there’s no substitute for top flight QBs, no matter who you already have on the depth chart. But we’re not talking about a competent GM here.

And yes, the Bears will pick better than #20 next year. You think the Red Rifle is leading the Bears back to the playoffs despite them getting worse roster-wise and having to face the Ravens, Steelers, Browns, Rams, Bucs and Seahawks? It’s not going to happen, man. “But we don’t know what those teams will actually look like during the season.” It’s. Not. Happening.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If they don’t pick a QB this year you are literally putting your career in Andy Daltons hands.

I don’t think they will do that.

I think they will buy themselves insurance. Someone they can turn to when they are 5 and try and sell “hope” instead of a winning record.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wonder where Mond would fall with this decision tree.

Does it matter when it doesn’t like Mahomes and does like Kaaya? I know it seems to work well but some is common sense.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I realize everyone’s sick of the Bears not taking quarterbacks, not taking swings.

But looking at how the Bears are unlikely to get one of the top guys this year and looking at this upcoming season’s schedule, wouldn’t you guys rather the Bears go BPA and shore up their line, and just take a crack at a better QB next year when they’ll be drafting earlier?

But you can have both.

Montucky

Liked Posts:

I'm not opposed to this idea at all but the fatal flaw is that it forces the Bears to draft for need two years in a row. This year on the offensive line, next year at quarterbacks. Success rates when drafting for need are pretty dismal, on top of the already dismal success rates of offensive tackles and quarterbacks overall.

I also don't think its very feasible either way. Ryan Pace doesn't value the offensive tackle position and his track record with quarterbacks is poor. He's going to draft what he's good at drafting. Linebackers, cornerbacks, interior linemen (both offensive and defensive), running backs and wide receivers.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Mond- inaccurate check down artist that struggles against top D's. His own fan base at TAMU knows this.

Bears fans here- draft him because high because he's a QB and it will save Pace's job.

Fucking clown world.

discplayer

Liked Posts:

But if they shore up OT, WR and/or CB with solid picks in the first 3 rounds, given they tagged AR and have other guys who are on the rise (Mooney, Kmet, etc) and signed RB Williams, the team might see more success, even with Dalton.

The Bears might actually win a few games and NOT draft as early as you surmise... What then?

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
JT O'Sullivan has 3 breakdowns of Mond on the QB School YouTube channel that are worth watching. The latest is vs Alabama:

For what it's worth, his passing percentage last year was 63%. 19 TD 3 INT. 7.7 Y/A. 9-1 record.

His career stats definitely need to be put in context of improving each year. He was a top prospect who underwhelmed early. He's a second tier guy for a reason, but he has a lot of starts against top competition and all the tools physically. I think he goes in the early to mid 2nd and is a realistic option for the Bears.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
JT O'Sullivan has 3 breakdowns of Mond on the QB School YouTube channel that are worth watching. The latest is vs Alabama:

For what it's worth, his passing percentage last year was 63%. 19 TD 3 INT. 7.7 Y/A. 9-1 record.

His career stats definitely need to be put in context of improving each year. He was a top prospect who underwhelmed early. He's a second tier guy for a reason, but he has a lot of starts against top competition and all the tools physically. I think he goes in the early to mid 2nd and is a realistic option for the Bears.

Oh fuck no. Those are not impressive college stats in the least bit. Go to the TAMU board and read how he can't hit deep throws. What the fuck is wrong with this board???

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh fuck no. Those are not impressive college stats in the least bit. Go to the TAMU board and read how he can't hit deep throws. What the fuck is wrong with this board???
Let me hazard a guess and say the problem with this board is closed minded assholes who aren't interested in talking objectively about prospects. JFC, tolerate an opinion will you.

There's actual tape to talk about if you want to look at his deep ball, but nah. Let's reference opinions on TAMU boards. No quotes, just vague references and a whole lot of outrage. Seriously, just fuck off.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Pace has to draft a QB this draft. Like Windy said, you have to give Bear fans something to look forward to. Imagine if Dalton sucks out of the gate or goes down early, what a mess Pace would be in. He is drafting a QB early this year, within the first 3 rounds. I like Davis Mills in the 2nd round. I would not be surprised if this is the year Pace trades down to try to acquire another 2nd or 3rd rd pick (Draft OT, WR, QB and CB with 4 picks within the first 3 rounds).