Kevin White Megathread: Needs Surgery/Could Miss Entire Season

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We'll be fine with AJ, Wilson, and Royal. I also like Cruz and Meredith for depth. With Forte and Bennett as well, it's all good. I'm bummed White will probably miss the season, but this team was going to be average at best anyway, and it'll probably just mean we get a slightly better pick. I was excited to see White play, so that sucks, but better to take care of it and look at next year. Have to think long term here.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It makes me happy because not just previous coaching staffs, but currently I'd wager 80% of the staffs currently in the NFL don't pull White aside in OTA's and ask "hey, why are you limping?" and handle it from there the way the Bears did.

Low bar indeed, but one set by the NFL, not just the Bears.

I think you may be right with 80-90 percent of players, but you would hope first rounders and superstars would have a little more attention paid to their movements.

The only real egregious mishandlings i can remember were Marshall, RG3, Cutler vs. the lions, and that is about it. granted I dont focus on injuries on other teams, so maybe i am out of the loop.

geneatals

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Consider the entire information as a whole:

1) Bears staff notices Kevin is limping even before he knows it during OTAs. They are proactive in getting him off the field.

2) Bears allow Kevin to rehab in private in case he will be able to have the stress fracture heal on its own - not letting other teams gain a competitive advantage should he be ready to take the field this season.

3) Rather than rush White into training camp, they rehab him during it, to see if he can heal on his own without surgery.

4) The minute it becomes obvious he will need the surgery (after a setback in the rehab), they don't dick around; he's getting the surgery, draft status be damned.

Fans and media might be annoyed with this.

But to a prospective player going forward who hears about this?

This projects an organization that actively is looking out for its players, and not just paying lip service to it. There are a number of organizations who would have pushed White to suck it up and he would have been hurt worse in training camp; they might have even disregarded the limp in OTAs.

I love it because it shows even in a bad situation, the team is smart enough to do right, by the team and by the player...

agree whole heartedly...thanks for posting teddy

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Should've went to Rohrman.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fucking hell.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jeff Dickerson ‏@DickersonESPN 9m9 minutes ago Kevin White seen doing the bootscootboogie at a bar near #WVU Saturday night. #Bears going after his signing bonus.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Did he earn it, or did vereen lose it?

Vereen lost it, but Amos had some good moments.

How Mills has not been benched surprises me. Ola, Leno, or even Long at this point cannot be worse.

But nice to see the defensive staff is not afraid to make moves.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Well there were panicky Colts fans calling him one, kinda like panicky Bears fans calling White one now.

Yes, comparing a QB who threw 3800 yards and 26 td's in his rookie year to a receiver whose glass legs are keeping him out for his first year is a great comparison...

:obama:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Losing White stinks.

It stinks because this season was going to be about watching young talent and a team improve.

Now the #1 young guy, the first top 10 pick in a decade won't be playing.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Watch out for the Bears in 2016 though. With another top ten pick and White unleashed they will be at least 8-8.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Yes, comparing a QB who threw 3800 yards and 26 td's in his rookie year to a receiver whose glass legs are keeping him out for his first year is a great comparison...

:obama:

How can anyone be labeled a bust so early in their career where they can easily rebound and meet expectations? Do you then remove the title? It loses its flavor if you slap the bust label on someone so loosely.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
How can anyone be labeled a bust so early in their career where they can easily rebound and meet expectations? Do you then remove the title? It loses its flavor if you slap the bust label on someone so loosely.

Nobody is labeling him a bust, we're saying we're worried that he's trending toward bust territory.

Worries that are completely justified given this news