Louis Riddick on Bears QB situation

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
"The QB is who they will sell to management and fans as hope for the future." Really? :obama:

So Dalton had an all-round better offense in Dallas than here and ended doing nothing with it. Hows he gonna make a big difference here?

Fun fact: Dalton hasn't had a winning season since.....drum roll ?............2015 ?

does this hold true for Prescott too? Note Dalton wasn't doing nothing in Cinn. either

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
"The QB is who they will sell to management and fans as hope for the future." Really? :obama:

So Dalton had an all-round better offense in Dallas than here and ended doing nothing with it. Hows he gonna make a big difference here?

Fun fact: Dalton hasn't had a winning season since.....drum roll ?............2015 ?

OT in 1, QB in 2. The OT can hopefully start immediately and help protect Dalton. The QB is who they will sell to management and fans as hope for the future.

Thought that was pretty obvious. Didn’t think it needed to be spelled out for anyone. Dalton + a draft pick...who the fuck would think Dalton was the one they are holding out future hope for? Jesus.

"The DRAFTED QB is who they will sell to management and fans as hope for the future."
-bearsfan1977
FIFY

Now keep this in mind. Pace and Nagy need to win now. I don't see it with Dalton. And Pace and Nagy probably won't be around in 2022 ( for the drafted Qb), if they lose in 2021.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
"The DRAFTED QB is who they will sell to management and fans as hope for the future."
-bearsfan1977
FIFY

Now keep this in mind. Pace and Nagy need to win now. I don't see it with Dalton. And Pace and Nagy probably won't be around in 2022 ( for the drafted Qb), if they lose in 2021.

#nevergiveup

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
-bearsfan1977
FIFY

#nevergiveup

#trueorfalse

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
not following that part of this...could you elaborate?

It's unusual for 5 QBs to go in top 15, and maybe 7 QBs in first 2 rounds.

For example, I mentioned that the "slighted" and ignored legend of Brady was the 7th QB taken, and he didn't go until the 6th round.

You were saying plenty of starting QBs like Russell Wilson are taken later in the draft, and I was saying the 6th QB this year would likely cost our 1st round pick. The 7th our 2nd round pick.

So it's possible this year the quality is very high, but I think there is a level of QB desperation and selling of hope to fan bases.

Rodgers was 2nd or third taken about where the Bears pick, but if that draft were today somebody would surely trade up to #2 for him, not in hindsight...just thats what would happen pre-draft to position for the QB San Fran passed in 2021 based on Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers pre-draft.

Times have changed, you aren't getting the same pedigree of QB in round 3 that you got in 2000, or 2010.

Only scraps are left after round 2 in 2020.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It's unusual for 5 QBs to go in top 15, and maybe 7 QBs in first 2 rounds.

For example, I mentioned that the "slighted" and ignored legend of Brady was the 7th QB taken, and he didn't go until the 6th round.

You were saying plenty of starting QBs like Russell Wilson are taken later in the draft, and I was saying the 6th QB this year would likely cost our 1st round pick. The 7th our 2nd round pick.

So it's possible this year the quality is very high, but I think there is a level of QB desperation and selling of hope to fan bases.

Rodgers was 2nd or third taken about where the Bears pick, but if that draft were today somebody would surely trade up to #2 for him, not in hindsight...just thats what would happen pre-draft to position for the QB San Fran passed in 2021 based on Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers pre-draft.

Times have changed, you aren't getting the same pedigree of QB in round 3 that you got in 2000, or 2010.

Only scraps are left after round 2 in 2020.

I think you mistook my post for someone else’s then because I’m NOT saying plenty of starting QBs are taken after the first round. I’m saying the opposite, that in general you have much better odds drafting a QB in the first round than you do looking outside the first round. You agree with me then actually

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you mistook my post for someone else’s then because I’m NOT saying plenty of starting QBs are taken after the first round. I’m saying the opposite, that in general you have much better odds drafting a QB in the first round than you do looking outside the first round. You agree with me then actually
Ahhhh...I see the question mark now. You asked a rhetorical question arguing with someone else.

Yeah, we agree, but I think its a more recent phenomenon where every QB with a prayer goes in first two rounds. There was a time a guy might fall, like now with running backs. Half the teams are philosophically against a 1st round running back, and some gems sneak through frequently.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the Bears draft a top 10 QB and are not a total trainwreck, no one is getting fired.

George wants to keep them. Not screwing up the rookies development will be the reason.

Geezer

Liked Posts:
WOW! You guys are all getting this whole QB thing churned into a hot, steaming heap of manure!

We should be looking for at least a potentially winning QB, one who will "make us proud", who most likely will be a first rounder, but not necessarily so. The chances of drafting a HOF QB are remote if not vanishingly so. That also might entail having to live through a season or two of 1-15, 0-16 records (and multiple swipes at the "picks of the crop"). And even that is not guaranteed if the "talent" either just isn't available when you pick or you "muff" the pick. Case in point, Trubisky vs. Mahomes or Watson (?)!!! Speaking of the latter named, how is that pick going to work out for Houston now? Another potential "fly-in-the-ointment" - the character issue!

GOOD QBs can be had in almost any round. Which is what we should be aiming for. Case in point: Romo, an UFA QB! Not a HOFer, but he kept Dallas "respectable" for a time. And something we're all hungry for as long-suffering Bear fans - respectability. No Super Bowl rings but a 97.1 passer rating, the highest among retired players who never made it to the Super Bowl (Wikipedia).

It's often been mentioned we should draft QBs often if not early. Look for unrecognized sleepers! Brady was one, how else do you account for a GOAT candidate taken in the 6th round! Take a chance on QBs often if not early. There are QBs who can win for us or any other team.

Draft from schools with winning records. Many, many years ago, the Bears after years of suffering bad draft picks re-examined their choices and found that most of their bad picks came from schools with "losing programs". They changed that pronto!

Are there schools that "breed" QBs? How about UC Berkeley? Rogers, Kapp, Bartkowski, Morton, and Goff all came from UC Berkeley where they seem to "breed" them. One other current QB whose name I can't recall. Notre Dame any one? Any other candidate schools? I'm sure some other schools come to mind for you guys. How about schools with winning programs? No guarantees re QBs because they're often led by outstanding coaches and programs e.g. LSU, Alabama, etc.

These are a few of the notions that came to mind while reading some of the back-and-forth on this board. Forget the HOFer and/or the GOATs! They're a very, very rare breed and everyone wants one. Settle for a winner! Develop your own! Draft often if not early!

Geezer

Liked Posts:
WOW! You guys are all getting this whole QB thing churned into a hot, steaming heap of manure!

We should be looking for at least a potentially winning QB, one who will "make us proud", who most likely will be a first rounder, but not necessarily so. The chances of drafting a HOF QB are remote if not vanishingly so. That also might entail having to live through a season or two of 1-15, 0-16 records (and multiple swipes at the "picks of the crop"). And even that is not guaranteed if the "talent" either just isn't available when you pick or you "muff" the pick. Case in point, Trubisky vs. Mahomes or Watson (?)!!! Speaking of the latter named, how is that pick going to work out for Houston now? Another potential "fly-in-the-ointment" - the character issue!

GOOD QBs can be had in almost any round. Which is what we should be aiming for. Case in point: Romo, an UFA QB! Not a HOFer, but he kept Dallas "respectable" for a time. And something we're all hungry for as long-suffering Bear fans - respectability. No Super Bowl rings but a 97.1 passer rating, the highest among retired players who never made it to the Super Bowl (Wikipedia).

It's often been mentioned we should draft QBs often if not early. Look for unrecognized sleepers! Brady was one, how else do you account for a GOAT candidate taken in the 6th round! Take a chance on QBs often if not early. There are QBs who can win for us or any other team.

Draft from schools with winning records. Many, many years ago, the Bears after years of suffering bad draft picks re-examined their choices and found that most of their bad picks came from schools with "losing programs". They changed that pronto!

Are there schools that "breed" QBs? How about UC Berkeley? Rogers, Kapp, Bartkowski, Morton, and Goff all came from UC Berkeley where they seem to "breed" them. One other current QB whose name I can't recall. Notre Dame any one? Any other candidate schools? I'm sure some other schools come to mind for you guys. How about schools with winning programs? No guarantees re QBs because they're often led by outstanding coaches and programs e.g. LSU, Alabama, etc.

These are a few of the notions that came to mind while reading some of the back-and-forth on this board. Forget the HOFer and/or the GOATs! They're a very, very rare breed and everyone wants one. Settle for a winner! Develop your own! Draft often if not early!

And as a follow-up to the above post, let's take a look at Davis Mills of Stanford. Not the most accomplished QB as yet but
big enough to have good arm strength and as someone remarked on this board elsewhere, they don't "do dumb" at Stanford,
and a shortcoming Trubisky exhibited! Just the sort of 3rd round pick that would make sense for the above post.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Projected starting QBs by round drafted

NFCN:
Dalton (gross) 2 (2nd team)
Rodgers 1
Cousins 4 (2nd team)
Goff 1 (2nd team)

NFCE:
Prescott 4
Hurts 2
Fitz 7 (8th team)
Jones 1

NFCW:
Wilson 3
Stafford 1 (2nd team)
Garappolo/#3 (2nd team) 2/1
Murray 1

NFCS:
Brady 6
Winston 1
Bridgewater/Darnold 1/1 (2nd teams)
Ryan 1

NFCN:
Roethlisberger 1
Mayfield 1
Jackson 1
Burrow 1

AFCE:
Newton 1 (2nd team)
Tua 1
Allen 1
Wilson (most likely) 1

AFCW:
Mahomes 1
Herbert 1
Carr 2
Lock 2

AFCS:
Wentz 1 (2nd team)
Watson (iffy) 1
Tannehill 1 (2nd team)
Lawrence (most likely) 1

22/32 projected starters were taken in the 1st round.
Where is the AFCN? JK....

What jumps out to me is the NFC vs AFC.

AFC all are 1st rounders, except Carr and Lock and they are 2nd rounders.