Mack Restructure. Bears add 11 million in cap space

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
You know what maybe these moves are to extend a few players and not necessarily a play for bell
It makes sense but I doubt it. You don't restructure Mack after year one for that. This seems like a rushed decision to make something happen.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
We finally got that Robbie Gould money!!!

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could we not draft a back as well? Or even keep Howard? And Mizzel sucks, but I don't think Davis is a lead back either for longer than two games.

There are a lot of things they could do. There is no guarantee you get anything better than Mizzel in the draft.

Davis is better than Mizzel. He is not a long term feature back but a sight better option than Mizzel at 3.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I missed the NFL’s announcement of Hunt’s suspension. You can’t be the answer if you can’t play.

Even if Hunt is suspended 8 games, as long as he's healthy for the postseason run/postseason itself, then the move pays off. I think Hunt is more of a "sure investment" than Leveon Bell at this point.

1pm7zLz-Yv4tcPVdoEZLBVA.jpeg

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Could be something they didn't want to do without assurances from a FA player that he was on board. That's a lot of cap room to clear. I have to think the other part of this will come today.
This.

They have pushed a good bit of money down the road, limiting future cap space.

That brings up a question. I am pretty good with cap stuff, but have never seen this addressed. In the past there was no cap space carry over, so any extra space was just lost. With the carry over does it really limit future cap space to any degree to push spending down the road? Any of the space created and not used is just pushed to the next year, so does that not directly cancel the extra dollars pushed from the preceding years? Can teams carry extra cap space forward indefinitely?

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
This.

That brings up a question. I am pretty good with cap stuff, but have never seen this addressed. In the past there was no cap space carry over, so any extra space was just lost. With the carry over does it really limit future cap space to any degree to push spending down the road? Any of the space created and not used is just pushed to the next year, so does that not directly cancel the extra dollars pushed from the preceding years? Can teams carry extra cap space forward indefinitely?

No. You have to spend a certain percentage of cap throughout a certain number of years.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
There are a lot of things they could do. There is no guarantee you get anything better than Mizzel in the draft.

Davis is better than Mizzel. He is not a long term feature back but a sight better option than Mizzel at 3.

What you say about Mizzel can be said about Davis. There is no guarantee Davis will be better than out draft pick, but he will cost 3 million. Mike Davis as a number two doesn't ease the pain of an injury to your RB1. Davis is a 3 at best, which I'd rather be a draft pick than someone making 3 million.

Rise

Liked Posts:
This.

I’m no cap expert but I believe it something like a 5 year cycle. Might be 3 years but it definitely has an expiration date.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Until Hunt gets a suspension and you are stuck with nothing.

If we signed Hunt you just keep Howard and trade him at the deadline. You also draft a RB to get his feet wet. Or you could just keep Howard, draft a back, and wait for Hunt to come back. All three of those guys would cost you 5.5 million this year.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I hope it's Bell, if just for the "interest factor". One Mike Davis thread already gave me "Mike Davis Fatigue". CCS is simply incredible at times.

You have no leverage Rory.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I have a feeling this is a move that have had no twitter run up to now. J Houston, Earl Thomas, something that will make CCS go, "I didn't see that coming."

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
What you say about Mizzel can be said about Davis. There is no guarantee Davis will be better than out draft pick, but he will cost 3 million. Mike Davis as a number two doesn't ease the pain of an injury to your RB1. Davis is a 3 at best, which I'd rather be a draft pick than someone making 3 million.

You seem to be bent out of shape over a couple million dollars.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
I missed the NFL’s announcement of Hunt’s suspension. You can’t be the answer if you can’t play.
Again, had we signed Hunt we could just keep Howard, or trade him at the deadline, in addition to still drafting a RB. Then you just cut Mizzel and or Benny.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
Throw in my two cents, I hope the money is to sign Houston or Gibson. Bell is talented but I don't trust him at all. He sat out an entire year and may come back way out of shape and unmotivated after he is paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Y’all are really setting yourself up for disappointment if it’s not.

Honestly can’t be disappointed in something I never thought would happen. My legit disappointment was we couldn’t keep one of Callahan or Amos. I never thought I would see a nb get those crazy numbers or safety getting over 10 mil a year. It’s funny how every year nfl fa can surprise a mother fucker