Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cespedes is a tougher call. He wasn't a guarantee to be plugged right into the major league lineup but also was not a surprise when he did start the season in the majors. So maybe a lottery ticket with 5 of the 6 winning numbers already??

Fujikawa was not a lottery ticket as he was going right into the major league roster.*

* = 100% baseball related content

All right, I think Gonzalez is a lot like Cespedes in terms of major league readiness, but there is one big difference. Thatt being he is going to be signed mid-season as opposed to prior to spring training. Could be wrong about that and there are certainly some issues with him not pitching much in the past two years due to be suspended for trying to defect. But the talk strikes me as very much the same as with Cespedes where he was going to help a team this year and then after some of the workouts word started leaking out that he might need time in the minors, etc. Just a feeling I have at this point since the information is very scant.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Back on topic, would the signing of Gonzales sway some fans opinions in a positive fashion that the Cubs are definitely investing heavy for the future and long term success? For the skeptics, call it as being seen as a PR move.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Not for me. I will continue to see it as a PR move.

I will continue to be critical until I see the team invest heavily at the major league level and see the payroll return to the $145M level.*

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
All right, I think Gonzalez is a lot like Cespedes in terms of major league readiness, but there is one big difference. Thatt being he is going to be signed mid-season as opposed to prior to spring training. Could be wrong about that and there are certainly some issues with him not pitching much in the past two years due to be suspended for trying to defect. But the talk strikes me as very much the same as with Cespedes where he was going to help a team this year and then after some of the workouts word started leaking out that he might need time in the minors, etc. Just a feeling I have at this point since the information is very scant.
I would tend to agree based upon the clubs who are seen as the likely top bidders.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

I will continue to be critical until I see the team invest heavily at the major league level and see the payroll return to the $145M level.*

Well I think that they are going to have to land someone eventually to keep fans in tune, and with the way things have gone to date, I see it more in the prospect area than an established player.

You have seen the excitement of the farm by some around here, I cold only imagine if they were able to land Gonzales, along with one of the Torres, Devers, Encarnacion, Jimenez or Molina how that would have drifters starting to lean back the other way. Just an observation.

Veal.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
A team source says Cuban righty Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez is "not a fit" for the Nationals, according to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, via Twitter. The Nats had two scouts watch Gonzalez pitch this month but believe he'll be overpriced.

Cubs

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was hearing the Cubs had a big contention watching him but the Dodgers are wanting him pretty bad.

Hearing this will be in the 40-60 mil range to ink him.

He has not pitched for Cuba sense 2011. He was suspended for attempting to leave the country.

But: 26 yo 6'3" mid 90's fastball. Change up fork and curveball.

Now this should become interesting. Will the Cubs offer 60 mil to him and plug him in Garza's spot after they trade out.

60 mil vs 100 mil IMO for a spot in the rotation.

Looking at it this way I can see how ownership could look at this as a discount.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Originally Posted by KBisBack!

Only way that happens is if the Ricketts' sell to a ownership group similar to the Dodger group. The Ricketts' have proven that they want to run the Cubs more cost efficient vs the payroll they were paying out when they took control.

I feel that as long as they are playing in W.F. and falling under the thumb of the city of Chicago and their regulations limiting their resources. And also stuck into their TV deal payroll will be pegged at 100 mil.

Ricketts' conciser the Cubs mid market vs large market. All excuses to not spend like a big market.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gonzalez would have to be the real deal of what the team has prepared for him. He's already 26-years old.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That's what I say about most of the Cuban defects :shrug:

Hello :D

aroldis-chapman-ap2.jpg

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Disappointed given the relatively modest cost for near major league ready talent. Oh well I guess though.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I really hoped the Cubs would land him. I guess since the Phillies got him, we should say goodbye to him now. Halladay and Hamels and Lee don't have them in contention. We may never see him.

Maybe now they trade Lee again?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I really hoped the Cubs would land him. I guess since the Phillies got him, we should say goodbye to him now. Halladay and Hamels and Lee don't have them in contention. We may never see him.

Maybe now they trade Lee again?

I honestly think this is the biggest motivating factor them them to get him. Lee is a guy that teams will throw serious prospects at to land. The Phillies have some interesting prospects and that could certainly expedite a rebuild.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Funny how when the Cubs looked to be one of the favorites to sign him, most were sporting serious wood for him and now that he signs elsewhere those same people act like it is no big deal.

One step forward, four steps back.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Funny how when the Cubs looked to be one of the favorites to sign him, most were sporting serious wood for him and now that he signs elsewhere those same people act like it is no big deal.

One step forward, four steps back.

Well what are we supposed to do, act like this was the only opportunity to ever add a player who could have an impact on the major league roster? The Cubs made an inquiry and got outbid. Shit happens. How is saying, "One step forward, four steps back," even apply here? You're acting like signing Gonzalez was the move the Cubs future was hinging on. He would've been a great replacement for Garza and if he would've developed into a frontline starter, his annual salary could be considered a steal.

It was smart on Philadelphia's part because this now makes some of their starting rotation expendable. Roy Halladay's 2014 isn't going to vest because he won't meet the innings requirement, so when you compound that with his injury issues, he may not return. Cliff Lee is owed over $70 million over the next three seasons and despite his fantastic season, could potentially be more valuable to them as a catalyst to continue to fill their high minor league teams with talent. Jesse Biddle has had a nice year for them in AAA and has a great shot act making their opening day rotation, so that would be a cheap option, along with Gonzalez, to potentially fill those two voids. Plus, they'd still have rotation holdovers in Cole Hamels, who's been a victim of some terrible luck, Kyle Kendrick, and Jonathan Pettibone. Their starting rotation isn't the issue -- they really lack impact talent for position player, outside of Maikel Franco.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
6/$50 mil seems like a good deal for the Phils. I am curious as to what the Cubs offered to get outbid.