Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

chibears55

Liked Posts:
there appears to have been a bit of concern on gonzalez.... probably why the dodgers and cubs didnt make that big anticipated offer for him..

Gonzalez is a high-risk signing in more ways than one, reports ESPN's Buster Olney. (Twitter links.) Olney says that other teams saw "elbow questions" with Gonzalez to go along with his long layoff from pitching (in addition to the regular uncertainties with international signings). The perception around the league, according to Olney (more Twitter links), is that the Phillies must have seen this information more positively than most.

For the Phils to have placed this large a bet on an international talent, says Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer, well-respected international scouting director Sal Agostinelli must have had his "fingerprints ... all over this signing." Many of the questions surrounding Gonzalez revolve around whether or not his splitter or slider are capable of delivering strikeouts, writes Gelb, making a scouting assessment critical in valuing the hurler.

time will tell if he was worth the signing or not...

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Funny how when the Cubs looked to be one of the favorites to sign him, most were sporting serious wood for him and now that he signs elsewhere those same people act like it is no big deal.

One step forward, four steps back.

The exactly two people who seemed to "act like it is no big deal" were hardly "sporting wood" beforehand...

And don't act like you wouldn't have ripped the Cubs for spending $60+ million on a player you consider a lottery ticket, too... I hardly think JedStein is perfect but there doesn't seem to be any reasonable way that they could have done the "right thing" in your mind...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, this is another option down on replacing Garza. I get what the Cubs are doing, but I still would like to know where we find another Garza type and an Ace to compete in the next 3 years or so.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Well, this is another option down on replacing Garza. I get what the Cubs are doing, but I still would like to know where we find another Garza type and an Ace to compete in the next 3 years or so.

barring them being traded.. they have jackson, samardzija ( 2 seasons), and wood under control for the next 3 seasons.

so basically their going to look to add 2 starters this off season / ST either from their system,Trade, or FA

This is why i dont anticipate any more 1 yr Flip type deal done this off season on a starter or really any FA signing of a pitcher this off season..

i think they go with at least 1 starter from their system, and unless they make a trade for another, it wouldnt surprise me to see them give 2 starters from their system a shot at proving themselves.

I think 2014 is going to be more about bringing up and getting a good look at most of their system players to see who will be a part of their future going forward.
I dont anticipate seeing them as being deadline dealers this time next year with veteran players, unless they still have guys like dejesus, and or schierholtz on their roster.
maybe if he has a good start next year they could move Edwin Jackson to a contending team.

I wouldnt worry to much about finding / spending money on an ACE type starter until they get their everyday players situated, and see what they have pitching wise in their system.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
barring them being traded.. they have jackson, samardzija ( 2 seasons), and wood under control for the next 3 seasons.

so basically their going to look to add 2 starters this off season / ST either from their system,Trade, or FA

This is why i dont anticipate any more 1 yr Flip type deal done this off season on a starter or really any FA signing of a pitcher this off season..

i think they go with at least 1 starter from their system, and unless they make a trade for another, it wouldnt surprise me to see them give 2 starters from their system a shot at proving themselves.

I think 2014 is going to be more about bringing up and getting a good look at most of their system players to see who will be a part of their future going forward.
I dont anticipate seeing them as being deadline dealers this time next year with veteran players, unless they still have guys like dejesus, and or schierholtz on their roster.
maybe if he has a good start next year they could move Edwin Jackson to a contending team.

I wouldnt worry to much about finding / spending money on an ACE type starter until they get their everyday players situated, and see what they have pitching wise in their system.

It will make year 3 under Theo next year. I don't know about yall, but if the Cubs don't make the playoffs in 5 years that Theo will have been here then I would looks elsewhere for a front office. He got rid of all of Hendry's players that he didn't want and this team is completely his and has a good bit of money to play with. They have to get front of the line pitchers somewhere. Saying wait until the position players are there is backwards to me. You can find hitting. Its a lot harder to find pitching.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It will make year 3 under Theo next year. I don't know about yall, but if the Cubs don't make the playoffs in 5 years that Theo will have been here then I would looks elsewhere for a front office.

I dont think so, because he is doing exactly what tom ricketts wanted him to do.
keep payroll down, unload the older costly players, build up the farm system , and build up the major league team with younger talent
he has succeeded in doing 3 of the 4 right now..

i anticipate 2014 and 2015 seeing them build up the major league team.

cant guarantee playoffs, but i expect to see them contend by year 5 (2016 ), and i also expect epstein and hoyer to be allowed to stick around and be able to see it all through ( extended )..

He got rid of all of Hendry's players that he didn't want and this team is completely his and has a good bit of money to play with.

not all they still have samardzija, castillo, and castro.. =)

he has the potential of money to play with, but he dont control what they spend, the ricketts do.

They have to get front of the line pitchers somewhere.

im not disagreeing that they eventually need to get a front line starter, just saying that they probably want to wait and see who/what develops from within with their pitching first.. that front line starter could be had next off season via trade/FA, just dont anticipate seeing them going after one this off season.

Saying wait until the position players are there is backwards to me.

Yes and NO.. you dont want to be wasting years and money on a front line starter if your offense isnt stable and good enough to produce runs

Look at Garza, though I personally dont look at him as a 1 or 2 type starter but most of his good starts were being wasted by lack of productive position players during his time here.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I agree with that. Right now the team is in transition. It would make sense to ink a #1 after the wreck is in line (if ever). It is a waste to have an Ace with a bad support.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
there appears to have been a bit of concern on gonzalez.... probably why the dodgers and cubs didnt make that big anticipated offer for him.

But Tommy John surgery wasn't enough of a concern with Vizcaino and Baker??

Yet more hypocritical apologies.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
but I still would like to know where we find another Garza type and an Ace to compete in the next 3 years or so.

That is easy to answer.

They won't.

Plus they will have to replace Shark after the 2015 season at the latest.

If the team didn't want to spend on Garza, I doubt they will be willing to spend on Samardzija.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
But Tommy John surgery wasn't enough of a concern with Vizcaino and Baker??

Yet more hypocritical apologies.

That is easy to answer.

They won't.

Plus they will have to replace Shark after the 2015 season at the latest.

If the team didn't want to spend on Garza, I doubt they will be willing to spend on Samardzija.

Is that the new catch phrase we're going with? I wasn't aware we were paying Viz 60 million bucks after having TJS. The rest, not gonna waste my time with. Your losing your touch as a troll.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Not so fast everybody, seems Mr. Gonzales is still available; from CBS:

Two weeks ago, the Phillies and Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez agreed to terms on a six-year contract worth more than $50 million. Bonuses could push the value to $60 million, potentially making it the largest contract ever given to an international player.

The team never acknowledged the deal because it was not yet final, and now it looks like it may never be. Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports the two sides have hit a snag, possibly related to the health of Gonzalez's elbow. He had surgery to remove bone spurs within the last two years, though he is said to have made a full recovery.

"He's a real talent," one scout told Scott Miller of CBSSports.com in June. "He had some bone spurs, and he's still building up, but his stuff is top shelf. He threw it over the plate, and he can make it move. He's really good."

Gonzalez, 26, defected in February after he was suspended from playing baseball in Cuba following a failed defection attempt in January 2012. He held several workouts in Mexico before signing and is said to throw in the 94-95 mph range with his fastball while touching 96.

The Dodgers, Angels, Red Sox and other teams all had interest in Gonzalez before his agreement with the Phillies, according to Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com. If the health of his elbow is indeed in question, it's likely Gonzalez will have to take a smaller contract offer.