Mooney being shopped - PFF Brad

msadows

Liked Posts:
Who tf is Lester?
Another random neckbeard that guys like daniel follow for bears news.

Retweeting an opinion piece from a PFF guy who clearly mentions its an opinion piece.

Because another random fuck on twitter/X said it, it must be true. Daniel is like my mom when she reads shit on facebook. Ultimate source of information!

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you are going to state things based on sources. Don't use weak assed language like "could be" or "possibly." It's like saying "I don't know."

Say it like you fucking mean it. He's either being shopped or he's not. Its like being pregnant.

Collins77

Liked Posts:
I didn't see it coming but it could be a possibility. He's due some money, how much do ya want to give a WR coming off an injury? Honestly I belive hed be worth more to just keep for the year and let him walk, than loose a valuable piece for the Offense for a 4th or 5th round pick. But also behind the scenes there could be other scenarios we aren't aware of.
How happy is Mooney is with the Moore acquisition?
Are they targeting a 2024 WR in the draft?
Maybe Claypool is showing he's better / has a better relationship with Justin.
Who knows? In my opinion he's not going anywhere unless he's not happy.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
You are only going to keep one of Claypool and Mooney. DJ Moore will be replacing Mooney as Fields’ security blanket. I also think Kmet may end up with more targets than Mooney. If you could flip Mooney for a pass rusher also looking for a new contract after this season that may make sense for both teams.

For the sake of Fields’ development, I would keep Mooney for now because there will be injuries inevitably.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
So Poles goes out and trades what ends up being the 32nd pick for Claypool, then gets DJ Moore back in the deal for the #1 pick, all because he correctly identifies that his potential franchise QB needs weapons to be successful. Then thinks about trading the only other viable receiver on the roster other than the 2 aforementioned ones.

That makes less than zero sense.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Bears WR Darnell Mooney: With D.J. Moore and Chase Claypool taking targets away from Mooney, the Bears may look to trade him.

Pretty wild but if they like Scott and don't want to pay Mooney it makes sense.
So he isnt being shopped, this guy thinks he will be

msadows

Liked Posts:
You are only going to keep one of Claypool and Mooney. DJ Moore will be replacing Mooney as Fields’ security blanket. I also think Kmet may end up with more targets than Mooney. If you could flip Mooney for a pass rusher also looking for a new contract after this season that may make sense for both teams.

For the sake of Fields’ development, I would keep Mooney for now because there will be injuries inevitably.

I keep seeing this too.

Why would mooney or claypool prevent the other from being signed? Unless one breaks out they are looking at 10-12m a year, there is no reason you can't sign both if they mesh. What you have now with the top 3 wideouts is a unique blend of skillsets, they all do different things well.

msadows

Liked Posts:
So he isnt being shopped, this guy thinks he will be

His reasoning for mooney being shopped is that his targets will go down and he's on a contract year.

You could say this for a ton of players in the NFL.

I fail to see why poles would trade mooney for a late round pick. He's worth much more to this team than a 4th or 5th rounder.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I guess Poles is interested in making room for Marvin Harrison Jr. a little ahead of schedule. This guy is playing 4D Chess.

Does anyone know when the 2024 draft starts?

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I guess Poles is interested in making room for Marvin Harrison Jr. a little ahead of schedule. This guy is playing 4D Chess.

Does anyone know when the 2024 draft starts?
If the wheels fall off fairly early for whatever reason, that could be the only way Mooney (or Claypool) end up on the trading block. At that point, you might opt to just re-sign one of them and let the other walk and pick up the extra pick to help with rebuilding for the following year. Otherwise, having both Mooney and Claypool playing well together is a good problem to have when it comes to the offseason.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Mooney would only be on the block if Tyler Scott blew everyone away in camp, preseason, and the regular season, and then Mooney is expendable. That hasn't happened.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This could also just be a contract thing. They might be far apart in money. No one knows what Mooney is looking for except the Bears and Mooney

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mooney is basically worth very little at this point due to his minimal production + injury last year.

Trading him now is what bad GM's would do. If they do have a desire to trade him it would be at the deadline if the team is underperforming.

He may be worth even less at the deadline if he gets injured again or is like 3rd or 4th in targets. Not that I would trade him but there are cons to waiting. We for example lightly get more if we traded Quinn in the offseason versus waiting until he had 1 sack.

I keep seeing this too.

Why would mooney or claypool prevent the other from being signed? Unless one breaks out they are looking at 10-12m a year, there is no reason you can't sign both if they mesh. What you have now with the top 3 wideouts is a unique blend of skillsets, they all do different things well.

Moore is 26 and if he becomes clear No 1 WR then he will be looking for a new contract as early as next offseason as his agent already talked about Moore wanting a new deal at some point. So he is 20-25m a year. Eligible Receiver Kmet is making 12.5 a year.

If Mooney or Claypool are only worth 10-12 then neither is worth resigning. You would be better off drafting a WR who can be a stud. So more than likely to even consider re-signing them they likely would have to play well enough to be in that 15-20m a year range which is probably the going rate for a legit No 2 WR. So let's say one of them gets there. That is 47.5-57.5m in Moore, Kmet, and one of Mooney/Claypool. Doubt you do that and then spring for the other. Like that is why you have a draft.

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are dozens of "surprise trade candidate" articles from PFF....99% don't happen. About the same hit rate for the average fan.

norton63

Liked Posts:
I assume one of Claypool or Mooney gets extended right? They have to pay somebody and I don’t think any FA WRs will be available. I’m perfectly fine letting this play out.

This season is about Fields, is he the guy or not? We need every available weapon we can get to make this determination this season.

Now if a team is coming with a 1st round pick I see your point. But I think his value at the trade deadline would be similar to right now. The other possibility is he lost a step from the injury,
Fields is not the guy.