Mora's blog and McPimp

[quote name="Kerfuffle"]

Naive? Hardly. I just don't lose sleep over it. You don't think this is part of the business? GMs and coaches and personnel not getting along or some beef the team president is taking place. I bet you'd find similar instances of internal strife and he said / she said in other NHL clubs as well. No I don't know McD personally - but as I mentioned before he was cordial when we talked - obviously others had some pretty bad experiences with him which I believe are truthful. McD was more visible in the hallways 2 seasons ago then he was last season. And what I am going to ask him - "whats the real reason you fired Tallon?" I know he wouldn't tell me anyway and I expect he would respond with "Enjoy the game tonight".[/quote]

Yes, you come off as naive with your questions. As if this was the first you heard of this. It's a rather OLD story.

Nobody loses sleep over it. It is what it is. No need to explain how hierarchy in business works for me. I'm pretty sure I understand how it works.

Not sure about finding things like this in other organizations, but you are probably right and there are similar instances. I would assume most other organizations hire Presidents that know a little about the game I would assume. Not sure about the paranoia, arrogance though. I've never met a man quite like him and worked for someone worth about 3 billion directly for several years, and in his company, which he started from scratch for about 15.

FlaHawkFan

Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

Yes, you come off as naive with your questions. As if this was the first you heard of this. It's a rather OLD story.

Nobody loses sleep over it. It is what it is. No need to explain how hierarchy in business works for me. I'm pretty sure I understand how it works.

Not sure about finding things like this in other organizations, but you are probably right and there are similar instances. I would assume most other organizations hire Presidents that know a little about the game I would assume. Not sure about the paranoia, arrogance though. I've never met a man quite like him and worked for someone worth about 3 billion directly for several years, and in his company, which he started from scratch for about 15.[/quote]

Exactly. I'm certainly not losing sleep over it. And Kerfuffle is right, McD could have fired Tallon for any number of reasons. But the thing is, according to these stories, McD apparently found it necessary to create a facade (the late sheets) in order to give himself cover to fire Tallon. Why was that? It does point to some kind of weird personality traits in McD, doesn't it? And those late sheets ended up hurting the team because they overpaid the players involved, even if slightly. So if those stories are true, and I believe they have at least a kernel of truth or we wouldn't keep hearing them, then McD took steps that hurt the team so he could fire Tallon. Does that make any sense, especially if he had any number of reasons for firing him?

Obviously, I don't know for certain that the stories are true. But they do keep popping up, Mora apparently lost his job because he raised the issue, and (per last year's ESPN cover story about the Hawks) most of the other GMs around the NHL took Tallon's side and felt McD had done something shady.

Generally speaking, hockey is different from other sports in that loyalty means a lot. McDonough's unceremonious dumping of Tallon showed a distinct lack of loyalty. If McD thought Tallon was mismanaging the cap he should have fired him right after the 08-09 season ended. Instead, he apparently felt the need to fabricate a reason to fire him halfway through the summer. And if it's true, that's just bizarre.

fanof19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What was interesting about Mora's blog, was not what he said, but what someone posted in response to the blog. Filling in the gaps and giving more detail in to the McD/Tallon relationship and firing...oh yeah re-assigning. It was someone who was inside the organization at the time, because they had posted information about certain meetings and inner office scenarios which few people would know about, and the person was at the funeral, because very few people knew that McD sat in the bus and waited for the boys to finish their visit with the family, and this person recounted a situation only someone who had been INSIDE the funeral home would know about. My suspicion at the time still holds today, that it was someone who had no fear of being fired by McD because they were already gone. The only person who has ever been vocal about McMeddling. Shortly after that person's posting, the blog disappeared from the Comcast site, and Mora was fired. Oh yeah....not renewed...for all the rhetoric junkies.

I wish he'd fire me.

Driving the 1.5 hours down there right now. Ugh!

And someone has that blog somewhere still. I can't remember but am for sure it was posted not to long ago.

Klem???

fanof19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the blog is cached and still can be found. It's the response that has disappeared unfortunately.

E Runs

Liked Posts:
[quote name="fanof19"]What was interesting about Mora's blog, was not what he said, but what someone posted in response to the blog. Filling in the gaps and giving more detail in to the McD/Tallon relationship and firing...oh yeah re-assigning. It was someone who was inside the organization at the time, because they had posted information about certain meetings and inner office scenarios which few people would know about, and the person was at the funeral, because very few people knew that McD sat in the bus and waited for the boys to finish their visit with the family, and this person recounted a situation only someone who had been INSIDE the funeral home would know about. My suspicion at the time still holds today, that it was someone who had no fear of being fired by McD because they were already gone. The only person who has ever been vocal about McMeddling. Shortly after that person's posting, the blog disappeared from the Comcast site, and Mora was fired. Oh yeah....not renewed...for all the rhetoric junkies.[/quote]

Dudley?

Kerfuffle

Liked Posts:
One thing is for sure in all this mess - Rocky likes McD and I guess that's all that matters in the end.

Variable

Liked Posts:
I'd say that would hold him at least partly as accountable then. Don't seem to hear a lot of hand wringing about that though. Not saying it's not warranted for McDonough, but I'd expect the same kind of backlash for the guy that hired a snake, at least a little, but I haven't really gotten that vibe at all from anyone here at least. Why is that?

Maiden

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Kerfuffle"]I'm reading the articles here people are posting but most if not all of them are just rants and name calling by bloggers. Just want to offer a couple others reasons McD could have used for firing Tallon at any time. Even though we made the WCF in 2009 he still could have used one of these for the dismissal.

1) Philisophical differences (i.e. "we both had conflicting ideas on the future direction of this organization and I felt it was best to make a change")

2) Failure to manage the salary cap (i.e. "while we have a strong team we have also put ourselves into a difficult situation after the '09-10 season. Therefore we needed to make a change")

3) Getting rid of the old guard (i.e. "part of the success in the turnaround of this organization has been injecting new blood and new ideas into the realm of things here. I believe we need to continue that change including the GM position")[/quote]

Well as I recall the fans at the convention in the summer of 2009 let McDick for brains know how that felt about him and his meddling. The booing was priceless.

E Runs

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Variable"]I'd say that would hold him at least partly as accountable then. Don't seem to hear a lot of hand wringing about that though. Not saying it's not warranted for McDonough, but I'd expect the same kind of backlash for the guy that hired a snake, at least a little, but I haven't really gotten that vibe at all from anyone here at least. Why is that?[/quote]

Damn good question. I've stated time and time again Rocky is treaded like some demigod whenever they show him on the Jumbotron yet one would think the buck (no pun intended) stops with him.

[quote name="E Runs"]

Damn good question. I've stated time and time again Rocky is treaded like some demigod whenever they show him on the Jumbotron yet one would think the buck (no pun intended) stops with him.[/quote]

I hold him just as responsible. Not only that but if I have a problem or something I dislike that's exactly where I take it. Not that it goes anywhere but other than stopping watching the best sport in the world, a passion I've had since age 5, what else is there to do. I supported my team through the dark years just as I will support my team now. In the end it is not their fault for stupid decisions made above them.

Tonight I had a problem with something and that's exactly where I went. Will it be corrected, who knows. But I did my part. Fuck filling out the forms no one gives a shit about. Take your bitch to the top.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]I wish he'd fire me.

Driving the 1.5 hours down there right now. Ugh!

And someone has that blog somewhere still. I can't remember but am for sure it was posted not to long ago.

Klem???[/quote]

It might be on my old computer. I'll check

DBQHawkFan

Liked Posts:
[quote name="FlaHawkFan"]

Exactly. I'm certainly not losing sleep over it. And Kerfuffle is right, McD could have fired Tallon for any number of reasons. But the thing is, according to these stories, McD apparently found it necessary to create a facade (the late sheets) in order to give himself cover to fire Tallon. Why was that? It does point to some kind of weird personality traits in McD, doesn't it? And those late sheets ended up hurting the team because they overpaid the players involved, even if slightly. So if those stories are true, and I believe they have at least a kernel of truth or we wouldn't keep hearing them, then McD took steps that hurt the team so he could fire Tallon. Does that make any sense, especially if he had any number of reasons for firing him?

Obviously, I don't know for certain that the stories are true. But they do keep popping up, Mora apparently lost his job because he raised the issue, and (per last year's ESPN cover story about the Hawks) most of the other GMs around the NHL took Tallon's side and felt McD had done something shady.

Generally speaking, hockey is different from other sports in that loyalty means a lot. McDonough's unceremonious dumping of Tallon showed a distinct lack of loyalty. If McD thought Tallon was mismanaging the cap he should have fired him right after the 08-09 season ended. Instead, he apparently felt the need to fabricate a reason to fire him halfway through the summer. And if it's true, that's just bizarre.[/quote]

Stan was the 'capologist', so they couldn't use that as an excuse. They had to come up with something.

BigPete

Liked Posts:
[quote name="DBQHawkFan"]Stan was the 'capologist', so they couldn't use that as an excuse. They had to come up with something.[/quote]

That's the biggest rub in the whole story. And subsequently the biggest flaw in Kerfluffle's logic.

I have to say though, the real conspiracy theory is that Rocky put John up to it...or they agreed to do it together. It was all way too calculated of a story and John McDon'tKnowShitAboutHockey is calculated in every single facet of life. He is a self proclaimed marketing 'genius' after all. That in and of itself speaks volumes about why he 'needed a reason' to fire Dale.

tvltre

Liked Posts:
McD is a salesman. He is not going to go to a fan and tell them to fuck off. That would make news in a heartbeat.

As for him rubbing people the wrong way, the ship was already righted when he got here. Tallon had a plan that was pretty fool proof.

The loyalty of this team was for Tallon, why else would they have been there for him when his father died.

the team...outside the corporate part is a family. These kids stuck with Tallon since he brought them in.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
[quote name="klemmer"]

It might be on my old computer. I'll check[/quote]

Interesting, I never saw the comment on the original Mora post... If anyone has it I would love to see it. Can't we use the internet archive machine thingies to see if they got a snapshot?

Here was a Suntimes article written not to long after Mora was told his contract would not be renewed.

"October 25, 2009

BY CAROL SLEZAK Sun-Times Columnist

Those who have tuned in to Comcast SportsNet to watch the Blackhawks this season surely have noticed that Josh Mora no longer is hosting the pregame and postgame shows. In fact, he has been taken off the Hawks beat all together. The network also has informed Mora, whose contract is up in February, that it won't be re-signing him.

Anyone familiar with Mora's work knows that he's an excellent reporter and host. He had been Comcast's go-to guy guy on the Hawks since 2005 and knows the team inside and out. He always provided solid information and sound analysis, and he had good chemistry with co-host Steve Konroyd. He also is a tireless worker. Hawks fans know this, and Comcast knows it, too. So you have to wonder what happened.

Speculation abounds that Mora's blog entry about former general manager Dale Tallon's demotion resulted in his own ouster. In July, Mora beat the rest of us to the news that Tallon was about to be demoted in favor of Stan Bowman. Mora broke the news in his blog on Comcast's Web site. This particular post contained plenty of facts and opinion about Tallon's reassignment. If you want to read it yourself, you still can find it online, but it will take some digging because Comcast pulled it off the Web site shortly after it was posted. (At last check, it was still up at www.tergle.com/forums/hockey/8793-hawks ... an-gm.html.)

Here's an excerpt from the blog post in question:

''First, some thoughts about Bowman. Stan is a very sharp guy. Though his background is the financial side, rather than the player/scouting side, he's been around hockey all his life. [He was named after the Stanley Cup, for Pete's sake!] He's been involved in the decisions about on-ice personnel since I've been around the team. With Stan, the club is in good hands going forward.

''But how Stan ascends to the general manager's position, and how it became available in the first place, betrays big political maneuverings in the front office. Those kinds of things are never healthy. ... These kinds of manifestations of petty jealousies are worrisome for a franchise that has had so much going in the right direction.''

Reporter stands by his work

This is exactly the kind of insight Hawks fans had grown to expect from Mora. As always, his assessment was reasoned and fair. But there has been speculation that the post angered Hawks management. Given that the Hawks own a stake in Comcast, well, you can connect the dots. If true, that would be shameful. Not only because Mora merely was doing his job, but because it would mean Comcast had allowed the Hawks to interfere with its news operation.

I've seen Mora recently at Halas Hall and Notre Dame Stadium, but he didn't want to talk about this situation. But I called him this week, and he answered a few questions. He said Comcast senior news director Charlie Schumacher told him about the network's decision to part ways with him, but he wasn't given an explanation. He said he has spoken with Hawks president John McDonough since his reassignment and thinks he and McDonough have a good relationship. He refused to speculate about why Comcast suddenly soured on him, saying only: ''I've never had any more fun in my job than covering the Hawks last season, and I've really enjoyed my time and the people I worked with at Comcast. I will let my work for the past five years -- and especially last year -- stand on its own.''

'No interference ... whatsoever'

When I checked the Comcast Web site on Friday, ''Bring Mora back'' was a common sentiment on the message boards.

As expected, Comcast didn't want to share its reason for taking Mora off the Hawks' beat. My call to Schumacher was referred to a spokesman.

''Plain and simple, we're always evaluating our program and personnel, and we decided to make a change,'' the spokesman said.

The spokesman insisted neither the Hawks' organization nor Mora's blog had anything to do with the decision.

''There was no interference [from the Hawks],'' he said. ''None whatsoever.''

The spokesman said that Comcast encourages its reporters to break news stories and that it believes in being honest with viewers. He said the blog in question was ''up for a number of days after the incident.''

I suppose it's possible that the events in question -- Tallon's demotion, the disappearing blog post and Mora being kicked to the curb -- are unrelated. I truly hope they are. I'd hate to think Mora lost his job because he dared to be honest. Both he and Hawks fans deserve better than that.

And, of course, Comcast should know better than that."

R K

Here you go eruns.... You asked for it, you got it....

Breaking the Silence

Posted on November 3, 2010 by 40yearoldnothing

i

Rate This

Quantcast

This is a little different than the main theme of this blog, but again is part of something larger I’m working on, and it includes a little bit more background on the specifics of how and why I ended up outside sports journalism and in education leadership (That’s a good thing).

But I think it’s the right time to share some of this. Let me know if you want to hear more.

The afternoon of July 13, 2009, should have been a quiet one, especially for sports fans in Chicago. It was a Monday, and the first day of baseball’s annual All-Star break, one of the very few days of the year in which there are no major professional sports games scheduled. For me, it was the first day of a 4-day mini-vacation, one which I felt I’d earned after working more or less for three months straight for Comcast Sportsnet, a regional sports television network based in Chicago, primarily as the beat reporter and studio host assigned to follow the Chicago Blackhawks hockey team. But the day turned out to be anything but quiet.

I was having an alfresco lunch with a friend at an outdoor neighborhood café not far from Wrigley Field, when my Blackberry buzzed. One of the producers from our network said he had just read an Internet report saying that the Blackhawks – the NHL hockey team I covered – was about to fire their General Manager. Did I know anything about it?

By way of brief background, the Blackhawks had just completed a wonderful rebirth, having reached hockey’s semifinals in late May, after being one of the worst teams and most dysfunctional organizations in sports for the previous decade. The General Manager, Dale Tallon, was an astute judge of talent and a popular, engaging personality. He had engineered much of that turnaround when he took over as the General Manager in 2005, after previously spending a long time in the organization in lesser or different roles. But there had been rumblings that he and other members of the team’s front office were having trouble getting along. And a week prior someone in the front office had made a clerical error in re-signing some of the team’s players, which the team claimed cost them several million dollars. Tallon acknowledged the mistake publicly and took responsibility, but in reporting on the subject I discovered that the error was not his, but that he took the fall to protect an underling. Through the implications of several industry contacts, I was also able to speculate (essentially, to report without attribution) that the error was not nearly as financially costly as the team was attempting to portray. Because of all of that, there had been inside gossip that the Blackhawks might fire Tallon, and so yes, I told my producer, I did know quite a bit about it.

Also by way of background, responding to my producer’s text, even while I was on vacation after a long, consecutive stretch of work is typical in my business and what a good reporter has to do. I knew this subject better than anyone else at my network. I had connections and sources that would eventually be able to get me some answers, or some context, or would say something in a way that I would recognize as out-of-character and that would cause my ears to perk up, leaving me to chase after the threads of a story. So though I had been looking forward to this day off for a long time, and though I was a little skeptical of the internet rumor because the story had been floating about for some time, I returned the call, told my producers I would put feelers out, and then excused myself from lunch to plug into my network of contacts. I plugged in, reached out, and then went on with the rest of my vacation while I waited for the responses to come back in.

Several hours later, after the wheel of evening news had spun into the nighttime hours, I was picnicking on the lawn at a crowded concert at the Pritzker Pavilion in Chicago’s beautiful Millennium Park, when I touched base with my producer to tell him that I hadn’t heard anything from my sources either way. He said that the story had not advanced from the rumor page and that he was getting ready to produce our 10 o’clock shows, but he asked if I would check with my sources again to see if there was any update to the story.

I left the concert and as I was walking out of the pavilion, I went back to my contact list for another try, this time expanding my outreach to contacts slightly wider than my circle of closest confidants and inside sources. That decision allowed me to make an additional seven or eight phone calls to people with outside connections, instead of the three or four on the inside who might have reason to stay quiet because they were keeping a story secret. Two of the seven or eight people in this secondary circle of contacts actually picked up the phone. The first said that he thought this was just the old rumors gaining steam again on a quiet sports day, which was the main track playing in my head when I started through my contact list hours earlier. But the second person said that while he didn’t have any hard evidence, discussions within the team, as he knew it, had moved again in the direction of firing Tallon as the Blackhawks’ general manager.

With that quasi-story, I felt like I could go back to my top inside contacts for reaction. Often, in these situations, the people closest to the story are the people a reporter wants to contact least and last. They are the ones who have a plan for how to release that information, and they have a vested interest in the execution of that plan. Usually, they will stonewall or ignore a reporter, or often lie outright, which is frustrating to a reporter, but at the same time it is understandable because those people have a lot to lose if they are found out to be the source of a leak. But one task a reporter has in his job is to build up relationships of trust over time, which he does by handling stories fairly, being ethical in his approach and in the execution of his work, and by earning the respect of the people on whom he reports. Fortunately, I had a few people with whom I felt I had that kind of relationship, and after several attempts to reach all of them, one finally responded by text, saying, “If that’s all you have, I can’t confirm it.”

Now, that probably sounds like a denial, or maybe it doesn’t read like there’s a story there, but I knew this person well enough to read between the lines of what he was saying. Let’s try it again:

“If that’s all you have, I can’t confirm it.”

That person wasn’t telling me that my supposition was incorrect. He was telling me that I needed to do more digging, and that as long as I could report the story from another source, preferably a source who had been a part of the meetings, and who had more solid information than someone outside the proceedings telling me what he’d heard about the tone of preliminary discussions, my inside contact would be willing to confirm it for me. In other words, my contact was pre-confirming it, letting me know without saying so that the story was true, but until I found out more I couldn’t use him as a source. What that did, however, was to give me confidence to ask questions of my other contacts differently, or more aggressively, to elicit a response that would give me the information I needed to go back to my inside source to get the confirmation.

So now I’m pacing in my living room with the phone at my ear, my wife is calling me from upstairs to come kiss the kids goodnight before bed, and my producer is buzzing in trying to get the very latest because his live show is about to start, and we’re all trying to keep track of our competition in the business, because we have to assume we aren’t the only ones working this story. We desperately want to win this story. But we can’t run with it yet ourselves, because even though I believe the story is true, I don’t quite have it. Yet.

By this time it’s well after the workday has ended, ten-fifteen or so, which means I’m attempting to reach people who are friendly professional contacts, but probably not actual friends, at home or on their cell phones or by text. That’s always a little bit of a dicey proposition. Most of these people are not responding. I try different approaches as I leave messages – with some I’m polite and straightforward, with others more aggressive – while still not revealing what story I’m working on. Finally, I try a playful tack with a person who might not be on the inside of this decision, but would be close enough to know it happened. “So what are you guys going to do with the new office space?” I text. The response I get is rapid and terse, “Call me” is all it says.

The Story

Kerfuffle

Liked Posts:
so part 2 was never published? Would have liked to see the rest