Must win for Cutler to remain a Bear

Mitchapalooza

Marshall has good games vs the Pack, so hopefully that'll work out. Plus the Packers D sucks and Blondie is leading the team in sacks and he's out.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Marshall has good games vs the Pack, so hopefully that'll work out. Plus the Packers D sucks and Blondie is leading the team in sacks and he's out.

This is the reason I feel Cutler has no excuses to match Rodgers score for score.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Green Bay had terrible defenses before. Cutler still struggled.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:

I would think that the organization would be further beyond than a 'win win determines fate' nature of a QB signing. There's a larger body of work to review.

That being said, I could see this as helping sway the final decision on long term deal v. franchise tag decision.

The reality is that there aren't many options. As shit as Jay can be at times, there are still a dozen teams in the league that would love to have him. That's just an indictment on the quality of QB talent in the NFL. If the Bears D was still elite, maybe you let Jay walk and go into next year with McCown and hope it all works out.

With the D sucking, that option is out the window. McCown is going on 35 and was a journeyman scrub his entire career. Yes, he was fantastic this year, but I still wouldn't be comfortable going into an entire NFL season with a 35 year old journeyman scrub as my starter and a mid round draft pick rookie as my backup.

So, like it or not, Jay will be the QB of the Bears next season. The question becomes under what contractual obligation.

I think Jay can play his way into a long term deal if he has a great game and does some things in the playoffs. If it's a typical 'shit the bed against the Packers and in the big game' Jay, then he gets a franchise tag.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I would think that the organization would be further beyond than a 'win win determines fate' nature of a QB signing. There's a larger body of work to review.

That being said, I could see this as helping sway the final decision on long term deal v. franchise tag decision.

The reality is that there aren't many options. As shit as Jay can be at times, there are still a dozen teams in the league that would love to have him. That's just an indictment on the quality of QB talent in the NFL. If the Bears D was still elite, maybe you let Jay walk and go into next year with McCown and hope it all works out.

With the D sucking, that option is out the window. McCown is going on 35 and was a journeyman scrub his entire career. Yes, he was fantastic this year, but I still wouldn't be comfortable going into an entire NFL season with a 35 year old journeyman scrub as my starter and a mid round draft pick rookie as my backup.

So, like it or not, Jay will be the QB of the Bears next season. The question becomes under what contractual obligation.

I think Jay can play his way into a long term deal if he has a great game and does some things in the playoffs. If it's a typical 'shit the bed against the Packers and in the big game' Jay, then he gets a franchise tag.

Not many options but Jay Cutler will bring will bring us back multiple picks in a trade and we are not letting him walk for free. Emery is not that dumb.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Let's not kid ourselves.

We know GB will put up a ton of yards and a lot of points against the Bears.

The Bears will need to score at least 34 to win. Pitt put up 38 against GB last weekend - at Lambeau. It can be done. Bears have significantly more weapons on offense.

Even if Forte goes for 150, that doesn't necessarily translate to 5 touchdowns (which is what the Bears will need).

It's very simple - we know the defense will suck - so, it will come down to ST NOT fucking up (big penalty, shit Podlesh punts and dumb Devin decisions) and the play of Jay Cutler.

mecha

Liked Posts:
The Bears defense has picked up the offense for so many years. It would be nice for a change to see Cutler pick up the defense. I just want the team to get playoff experience going into next season.

turnovers generating good field position. if Cutler scores they still have to kick off the same way every time. if Podlesh punts it to the other team's 10 or their 45 the defense isn't going to play any different, they're still going to get run on.

I fail to see your logic on Cutler helping the defense.

Bearmacist

Liked Posts:
You're right and there isn't string of games to justify a contract extension. No multiple 300 yards no multi touchdown in consecutive games nothing. McCown has never in his career played like McCown did this year.

FIFY.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Not many options but Jay Cutler will bring will bring us back multiple picks in a trade and we are not letting him walk for free. Emery is not that dumb.

But Cutler is a free agent.

I don't know enough about the contract/CBA situation, but what you are effectively saying is a sign and trade. Which would assume the team trading for him would have to assume his contract.

I'm not sure it's that easy.

SouthSida773

Liked Posts:
Sunday will be Cutler's last game in a bears uniform.

Nick80

It's a must win for the Bears. This game is just going to end up another stat line. Good or bad. Emery, Trestman or whoever else is going to have input on if Cutler is brought back or not will not factor one singular game as the litmus test over a body of work that every man and his dog can see.

Asinine thread.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
turnovers generating good field position. if Cutler scores they still have to kick off the same way every time. if Podlesh punts it to the other team's 10 or their 45 the defense isn't going to play any different, they're still going to get run on.

I fail to see your logic on Cutler helping the defense.

I see it.

Cutler helps the defense by not going 3 and out on two straight possessions starting the game. 3 and out from their own 20, thus ensuring the opponent gets a shorter field.

Cutler helps the defense by putting together long drives and keeping the defense and Rodgers off the field.

Cutler helps the defense by not turning the ball over in the Bears' end of field.

Cutler helps the defense by not turning the ball over and giving Green Bay a lead thus allowing them to run the ball endlessly over the Bears' defense.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
But Cutler is a free agent.

I don't know enough about the contract/CBA situation, but what you are effectively saying is a sign and trade. Which would assume the team trading for him would have to assume his contract.

I'm not sure it's that easy.

I'm saying the team applies the franchise tag then works on a sign and trade. He is a free agent but not really. Bears still hold all the cards.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Green Bay had terrible defenses before. Cutler still struggled.

LOL... they were not good... but they were never terrible...

what we have here is historically bad... that is way worse than being just a bad defense or rated last in the league... it says you are so bad that you have to go way back in history to find a team equally as bad...

you have to dust off books to find a defense this bad... that is pathetic...

The packers were never this bad...

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Sunday will be Cutler's last game in a bears uniform.

That could very well be true.

The only concern is who QBs next year? McCown had a nice little run, but he's been a journeyman scrub his entire career and is going to be 35. Some random mid round draft pick won't impact.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
That could very well be true.

The only concern is who QBs next year? McCown had a nice little run, but he's been a journeyman scrub his entire career and is going to be 35. Some random mid round draft pick won't impact.

It would be McCown and he showed no signs of being a scrub going forward. He also has less wear and tear on his body.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL... they were not good... but they were never terrible...

what we have here is historically bad... that is way worse than being just a bad defense or rated last in the league... it says you are so bad that you have to go way back in history to find a team equally as bad...

you have to dust off books to find a defense this bad... that is pathetic...

The packers were never this bad...

I wasnt comparing the two.

Green Bay has had defenses RANKED in the 30's (their super bowl run comes to mind) and Cutler could not figure them out. Every other team can figure them out besides us. They looked like worldbeaters facing Cutler.

Might just be that Cutler cannot beat a Dom Capers defense.