Myles Garrett?

Neckbeard

Liked Posts:
I think this also depends on what Poles and the FO feel are the biggest needs to draft next year. If they feel the tackles are good enough for the next couple years and want to focus on center/IOL, then I could see them parting with the 1st round pick, and using the 2nds on IOL picks. Garrett would mean they don't have to draft that top DE in the next draft. I'm sure there's several factors they are looking at to see what makes sense and what they can part with while still achieving their roster goals.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Poles should be looking at the precedent with rookie QBs. How many have lead their team to a Super Bowl? How many have won? I know Big Ben made the playoffs, but they didn’t go all the way and that was a different team.

Considering that, I really hope Poles realizes this isn’t the Bears year to move all in like this. Caleb’s next contract will be huge. Restock the shed with these picks next year and keep building the trenches through the draft.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Poles should be looking at the precedent with rookie QBs. How many have lead their team to a Super Bowl? How many have won? I know Big Ben made the playoffs, but they didn’t go all the way and that was a different team.

Considering that, I really hope Poles realizes this isn’t the Bears year to move all in like this. Caleb’s next contract will be huge. Restock the shed with these picks next year and keep building the trenches through the draft.
It’s not an all-in move for this year only though. He’s under contract through 2026.

The Bears have ways to recoup draft capital by trading down, trading players, compensatory, and if Ian Cunningham gets a GM job.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am definitely with you that a great deal of emphasis should be placed on things that are more certain. Garrett is certainly more certain than the best prospect in next year's draft simply because Garrett has beaten the pants off of every NFL OT he has faced for years.

However, the same argument exists where OT are premier positions (and the Bears OTs are underperforming - an unfortunate fact). OT block premier pass rushers like Garrett, and Chicago is in need of using those top picks on the guys that block for our (hopefully) top QB. That is why it is important to put a hard limit on what you will pay, so that those top picks are being invested in premier positions. Garrett, no matter how good, would need to agree to a salary reduction to be on the team beyond 2026; I can only justify first rounders in the trade if we were absolutely in contention for the Super Bowl during the entire time that he is here. I expect Detroit to be willing to outbid Chicago simply because they are absolutely in contention for the trophy today and through 2026. Detroit is not in need of many investments during that period because every key star is tied up in that period, and are in the same cap position we are. Your argument should be more persuasive to Detroit than Chicago.
Because Detroit is the better team right now, it is a better argument for them for sure. But that said, they can be argued to need other things worthy of using those picks on. All teams can always use 1st and 2nd round picks, as no team is perfect. So long as you are in the window of contention, I'd think you have the green light to add veteran talent and let the rest sort itself out. Adding premiere talent makes everyone's life easier. And I get there's diminishing returns on improving the defense and that impact on the offense, but there's still returns. We can get good impact on the OL by signing someone like Connor Williams and another top end OL free agent this offseason. Otherwise, it's just on Poles to find ways to fill the gaps.

I am a big believer in talent leading the team, so adding those types of guys in the locker room will become infectious and upgrade the talent everywhere. Caleb's own improvement will upgrade everyone too (if he projects as was expected), as people become hopeful and work harder. So, I just think you secure the talent you can, when you can... and the rest gets better as a result. Would I love to add more high-end young guys on the OL? Of course, but I also would love to add a HOF-type player anywhere and I'd have to enter those convos and make a competitive offer if Garrett was truly available.

Salvaged Ship

Liked Posts:
I don’t see it being worth a 1st round pick, not at the stage we are at now. If it significantly hinders how aggressive we can be with the offensive line in the offseason then forget it. The Carolina second rounder maybe, need to see the cap implications.

I want the focus to be on a stud left tackle, it’s not sexy but in my opinion the biggest need.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
I don’t see it being worth a 1st round pick, not at the stage we are at now. If it significantly hinders how aggressive we can be with the offensive line in the offseason then forget it. The Carolina second rounder maybe, need to see the cap implications.

I want the focus to be on a stud left tackle, it’s not sexy but in my opinion the biggest need.
What stud LT is going to be available in the middle to end of the 1st round?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
See, I think that a first is too high - the opportunity cost becomes too great because you are essentially buying two years of top flight DE (presuming a cut date of 6/2/2027 to get the most out of him, maximize early savings to invest in new talent, and maximally delay the 10M dead cap) for a first rounder.

Send a second round pick, and you are trading four years of a controlled-cost rookie for two years of top-flight veteran. Send a first round pick, and now trading a potential of five years of controlled cost, which goes to a prospect that one assumes is more likely to get that next contract with your team. It is better to draft a DE in the first, in my view, than to trade a first round pick for a DE, because that player gives you a competitive window of 2026-2028 before the fifth year option is exercised. That aligns with the team interests because those are years where Williams has more experience and is more competitive than in 2025, which is likely to be Garrett's best year for the team (assuming that he experiences a decline with age).

Hell, if you send Chicago's second for him, you can still draft a DE in the first round. Garrett's contract doesn't lock the team out of looking for OL in FA, and drafting more OL with the CAR second and CHI third round picks. At the core, what I want to stress is that Garrett's current deal is not too expensive for the team. That would give our defense a competitive window that matches the early years of Williams when he is on a rookie contract, and stays competitive for the first year that Williams is expensive.

You dont have to cut him as he is a FA after 2026. Those years 2027 and beyond are void years. So you would be buying 2.5 years with the ability to extend him if he is still productive at a reduced cost than the 30 million elite pass rushers get given he would be 32 in 2027. I also think he is likely to be more like a Mack and be productive later in this 30s.

Of course our 2nd would be better but I suspect we would be outbid at that price as a contender is likely to offer a late first.

I think the best edge prospects are likley gone by the time we pick and the difference between our 1st and the Panthers pick is hopefully around 15 spots at most.

Finally the 5th year option isnt really that valuable as most guys that are good get extended long before that. If you actually have to consider it then you probably dealing with a guy that is on the fringes.

Last edited:

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I’d offer the Panthers’ 2nd and no more. Browns unlikely to accept but that’s okay.
I prefer giving up our 2nd...but yes....Panthers' 2nd is the most to give up...Bears need to get young stud O-linemen in the draft and giving up their 1st is taking a step backwards in future team development....

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
He can't be and if anyone isn't okay with that, they should be shot into the sun
Where's the schedule for shots into the sun? I'll need to make my reservations. The first available one after the SB will do. Thanks. Btw...didn't da Bears try this with Mack? How'd that work out? I wasn't on the board yet when that trade went down, but I was totally against it. Take that statement for what's worth to you. In the long run it was a failure and there's no arguing that issue. Giving up multiple high picks, practically all the time, is a losing proposition. Stafford is the only trade I can remember that worked out giving away multiple high picks. And a DE is not a QB.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Where's the schedule for shots into the sun? I'll need to make my reservations. The first available one after the SB will do. Thanks. Btw...didn't da Bears try this with Mack? How'd that work out? I wasn't on the board yet when that trade went down, but I was totally against it. Take that statement for what's worth to you. In the long run it was a failure and there's no arguing that issue. Giving up multiple high picks, practically all the time, is a losing proposition. Stafford is the only trade I can remember that worked out giving away multiple high picks. And a DE is not a QB.
If you were talking multiple 1sts that would make sense, but this scenario is around the idea that people wouldn't give up a SINGLE 1st for a player that is inevitably better than who it will be used on.

Just for clarity I don't think I'd trade multiple 1sts for him although I'd have to at least consider it.

Poles job is tied to Williams though. So the DE is not a qb doesn't matter, poles already has his qb that his fate rests with.

Poles would probably be creating the best defense in the league whose only hole would be another run stuffer which aren't incredibly difficult to get. He'd still have some money to address OL and draft picks to address OL. Saying you wouldn't trade a single 1st for Garrett is actually insane.

Last edited:

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Everyone whos saying they wouldn't give up a single 1st for Garrett must have brane damage. They are likely drafting DL with that pick anyway and there's almost no chance that player will be as good as Garrett

'But our precious cap space!' Poles only goes dumpster diving in the offseason anyway. This would be a move for an actual good player - definitely do not want, need moar Nate Davis-like players!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The Mack trade wasnt a failure. Drafting Trubisky was. Mack propelled us to a top 5 D.

The irony is the build through draft people say we shouldnt trade based on a failed draft pick costing us a Super Bowl.

If we had drafted Mahomes then he and Mack probably lead us to multiple Super Bowls.

So sure if you think Caleb is closer to Trubisky then dont make the trade. If you think Caleb is closer to Mahomes then pull the trigger.

But the failure of the Pace/Nagy Bears was a draft failure not a trade failure.

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
If you were talking multiple 1sts that would make sense, but this scenario is around the idea that people wouldn't give up a SINGLE 1st for a player that is inevitably better than who it will be used on.

Just for clarity I don't think I'd trade multiple 1sts for him although I'd have to at least consider it.

Poles job is tied to Williams though. So the DE is not a qb doesn't matter, poles already has his qb that his fate rests with.

Poles would probably be creating the best defense in the league whose only hole would be another run stuffer which aren't incredibly difficult to get. He'd still have some money to address OL and draft picks to address OL. Saying you wouldn't trade a single 1st for Garrett is actually insane.
Ok... I'll admit you've changed my stance a little. If he's as good as all of you are saying then, da Bears 1st and NO 2nds or 3rds this next draft, no other 1sts ever, but, future 2nd or 3rd is good.

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Everyone whos saying they wouldn't give up a single 1st for Garrett must have brane damage. They are likely drafting DL with that pick anyway and there's almost no chance that player will be as good as Garrett
Any recommendations on Brain Surgeons? I'll need that damaged repair also. Thanks again.

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
The Mack trade wasnt a failure. Drafting Trubisky was. Mack propelled us to a top 5 D.

The irony is the build through draft people say we shouldnt trade based on a failed draft pick costing us a Super Bowl.

If we had drafted Mahomes then he and Mack probably lead us to multiple Super Bowls.

So sure if you think Caleb is closer to Trubisky then dont make the trade. If you think Caleb is closer to Mahomes then pull the trigger.

But the failure of the Pace/Nagy Bears was a draft failure not a trade failure.
I don't give a f**k about being a top 5 whatever! That trade was made to take da Bears over the top and win the SB. Let's not even go there that it was anything else. I remember the situation. What you're saying is 100% hindsight. That was the presumption, that the trade for Mack was taking us to the SB and a presumptive win. With all due respect to you....

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't give a f**k about being a top 5 whatever! That trade was made to take da Bears over the top and win the SB. Let's not even go there that it was anything else. I remember the situation. What you're saying is 100% hindsight. That was the presumption, that the trade for Mack was taking us to the SB and a presumptive win. With all due respect to you....

Yes but the other assumption was that Trubisky was a franchise QB. He wasnt.

The reality is Mack held up his part of the bargain. But it isnt his fault that Pace shit the bed and took the wrong QB.

It is hindsight to blame Mack for Trubisky being a failure at QB. Was Maxk supposed to teach Trubisky to be a better QB?